Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Comfort Food - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Javal, have you ever eaten Pennsylvania montgomery pie?

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

CF - I've had it, but I'm not a lemon fan so really didn't care for it.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 01:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: javal1 wrote: DG,

Fluffer-nutter= peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwich

mmmmm....ive been eating that forever and never knew what it was called

anybody got a good remedy for a sore throat????

A dixie cup worth of lemon juice w/ a generous dollop of honey nuked in the microwave long enough to dissolve the honey.  Soothes anyway, helps w/ coughs to.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Pam,

We sound so much alike. I wouldn't eat scrapple if you paid me. My family hails from Allentown and my late father worked in the coke plant at Bethlehem Steel for years. Glad someone else can appreciate the Hungarian/Polish/Slavic food.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
ole

Mana: 

anybody got a good remedy for a sore throat????

Peanut butter and sweet pickles. Good for what ails you.

ole

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ole

Mana: 

A dixie cup worth of lemon juice w/ a generous dollop of honey nuked in the microwave long enough to dissolve the honey.  Soothes anyway, helps w/ coughs to.
And it doesn't hurt to add a jigger of good bourbon. Maker's Mark. (Right, Javal?)

TimK: Does anyone eat a straight peanut butter sammich? Lots add jelly or jam. Some will do sliced bananas. I've even heard of bacon. Sweet pickles are my particular oddity. When I was growing up (walking ten miles to school, uphill both ways), THE mom would put together a lunch. Usually, it was peanut butter and pickles. We  used to snicker at the poor kids whose mother would put dill pickles in their sandwiches.

Another memory brings me to baloney and Miracle Whip. In the prairies, ten AM is morning coffee. At that time, wherever we were, THE mom would come walking with a mason-jar of coffee (wrapped in newspaper) and baloney sandwiches. Although this is vile stuff, to this day I will still buy (at least twice per year) a package of baloney and a small loaf of Wonderbread just to relive those moments.

And now, I'm getting hungry. Tomorrow, I will do some beans and pork, with cornbread and honey. Yummy!

ole

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
ole

Mana: 

Did someone say scrapple? Yuckkkk. Tried it once. Threw the rest out. Haggis? Don't get me started.

Tried to feed Dear One polenta once. She gave me the look! (And both her parents were from Sicily.) Tasted too much like grits.

And can anyone top a rack of ribs? Dry rubbed. No sauce. Or a mess of catfish fried in a black-iron skillet?

Must go finish my grocery list.

ole

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 03:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ole wrote:Does anyone eat a straight peanut butter sammich?

i add apple butter to my pb sammiches. i like extra crunchy peanut butter......i am whats know as a peanutbutteraholic.......i can finish off two jars (or more) in seven days....no one in my house gets any because i usually beat em to it, but then its the same way in my grandparents house, grandma never gets any peanut butter cause papa eats it all before she gets to it. pickles and peanut butter???? yuck!!!! if you really wanna know what cures all its vinegar.....the stuffs good for everything.

i also love bbq.....but not the kinda smothered in that sickly sweet crap people like to pass off as sauce, NC sauces are vinegar based and well NC by far has the best bbq in the world!!!

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 04:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

mac and cheese
cottage cheese,
buttermilk
San Francisco sour dought bread with real butter .
hamburger french fries and a chocolate shake.
Most of these comfort foods are no longer on my list of food I eat but the though of them is comforting lol.
Snickers bars too.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Does scotch count as comfort... food?

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Johan, if it comfort you, then yes it counts

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

oh and i forgot GRITS!!!!! with salt, pepper and a little butter.....mmmmm

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 02:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
TimK

Mana: 

I got a kick, and laughed at some peoples comfort foods yesterday. I hope no offense was taken, because no offense was meant. We have some silly foods out here, too. Rocky Mountain Oysters come to mind.

Another comfort food for me is good Mexican food. Not Taco Bell, but real Mexican food. Grilled spicy meats, beans, rice, corn tortillas, fresh salsa, green chile...it is all good. Real Mexican food is not covered up with a load of melted cheddar and can not be found at chain restaurants.

And like Johan...I find a degree of comfort sipping on some Crown Royal.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
ole

Mana: 

I usually think of comfort foods as that sort of thing THE mom would whip up out of nothing at all. Although I'm with you in that real Mexican food rates right up there, it's not something THE mom would have done. She never made moo goo gai pan either. Mashed potatoes and ham gravy. And an apple pie. Makes me feel like I'm 10 again.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
TimK

Mana: 

With all due respect, we do make our own Mexican food. The only thing store bought is the tortillas. We pick out several different types of peppers and have them roasted at the farmers market. The beans are cooked in a pressure cooker - not canned. I marinade and grill the meat, usually steak and chicken, sometimes fish. My wife makes the salsa and green chile with fresh vegetables. Out here in the west, this is something my mom and my kids mom have made ever since I can remember.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 07:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Tim, you make a good point. When I first read the mexican food as comfort food comment, I had the same thought as Ole. But we forget regional differences. To those in Colorado, that's as much of a comfort food as meatloaf is in other places.

Since moving down here from Pa., I can't say I'm impressed with the South's view of "comfort food". Greens and grits disgust me, and I just don't get the big fuss about the BBQ. I say that with all respect, since it all depends what you grow up with.

There is one exception though. My traditional New Year's meal has changed from Sauerkraut and Pork to Navy Beans and Ham Hocks. Good stuff. And ham and red-eye gravy can get me drooling as well.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 07:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
izzy

Mana: 

javal1:  I'm from PA, too.  I have to agree with you that BBQ doesn't do anything for me either.  I found out through trial and error that I can tolerate, barely, the mustard based sauce on it.  But I would much rather have, like Susan, a hamburger, fries, and a chocolate shake.  That can't be beat in my mind.  As for spirits, I like rum and tonic in the summertime.  Otherwise a light beer hits the spot.

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 07:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I've been back here so often the last couple days I MUST have gained a few pounds since the start of this discussion!

When I think of my grandmother, that's when I think of the halupkis, and pierogis (and unfortunately the scrapple!). Also, she made a killer cherry cream cheese cake. But when I think of my mom, I think of totally NOT PA Dutch food: lasagna, ziti (her mom came from Sicily), and her to die for coffee chocolate layer cake. I think it's interesting to see how everyone's childhood is still contained within their tastebuds!

And now I have to go make dinner for MY family!

Pam

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

izzy,

What part of North Carolina are you living?

Have you tried Lexington-style barbecue? It's a ketchup-vinegar base specialty that uses only the pork shoulder, which make it totally different from the eastern (NC) barbecue that uses the whole hog. I love he Lexington style.

Here's a site:

http://www.visitdavidsoncounty.com/bbq.html

That's all I'm gonna say. Barbecue discussions tend to ignite civil wars.:)

Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Pvt:  WNC.  I haven't tried Lexington style BBQ that I know of.  After moving to WNC from Western PA the thing I missed the most was a good hamburger.  Still do.  I'll take a hamburger over BBQ every time!  No contest.  That doesn't mean that I would not enjoy a good tasting Lexington BBQ, it just means that hamburgers are on my comfort food list, not BBQ.

Pam:  I'm gaining weight from just reading the entries.  I went out today and bought a hunk of lean beef, vegetables, etc, to make a big pot of beef vegetable soup.  I figure when I get hungry reading all the posts on this thread, I can at least have something healthy to dive into and (over)eat.

Last edited on Wed Nov 5th, 2008 09:37 pm by izzy

Current time is 02:08 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2213 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.