Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Comfort Food - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 5th, 2008 09:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

People, People, People

Down grading the joys of barbeque is likely to ignite a firestorm no less than the bombardment of sumter. Nothing finer than dining on swine.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote: izzy,

What part of North Carolina are you living?

Have you tried Lexington-style barbecue? It's a ketchup-vinegar base specialty that uses only the pork shoulder, which make it totally different from the eastern (NC) barbecue that uses the whole hog. I love he Lexington style.

Here's a site:

http://www.visitdavidsoncounty.com/bbq.html

That's all I'm gonna say. Barbecue discussions tend to ignite civil wars.:)

i went to the BBQ Festival this year.....nothing i love better than some BBQ....while there i ate bbq til i almost threw up and then we bought some from one of the stands to have throughout the week, and i pigged out for a week....bbq is a big part of a North Carolinians diet

Amen to that Doc

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

javal1 wrote:Since moving down here from Pa., I can't say I'm impressed with the South's view of "comfort food". Greens and grits disgust me, and I just don't get the big fuss about the BBQ. I say that with all respect, since it all depends what you grow up with.

if you sent me up North I probably wouldnt be impressed with yalls view of comfort food either.

now javal there is nothing wrong with grits and greens, especially if cooked right.....now for ya greens, season em with some fatback or grease from some hogjawls, then when they are done put em in a bowl and cover with salt and vinegar, and you've got yourself some good eatin, and for grits, just put some salt, pepper and butter on em.

as i said, bbq is a BIG part of a North Carolinians diet (or it is in my part of the state anyway) javal just come on down to Lexington and we'll turn you into a bbq lover

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 01:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

javal1 wrote:

Since moving down here from Pa., I can't say I'm impressed with the South's view of "comfort food". Greens and grits disgust me, and I just don't get the big fuss about the BBQ. I say that with all respect, since it all depends what you grow up with.

There is one exception though. My traditional New Year's meal has changed from Sauerkraut and Pork to Navy Beans and Ham Hocks. Good stuff. And ham and red-eye gravy can get me drooling as well.

A great Southern comfort food I learned to love while living in Nashville is the incomparable sweet potato casserole. Southern biscuits are yummy too.

The ham dish you describe, leads me to ask, Javal, if you have ever tried Pennsylvania Dutch schnitts und knepp, a wonderfully rich ham and dried apple stew.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

CF -

Never heard of that one! I did remember one of my all time favorite comfort foods though that my grandother would make for me everytime I visited - Letttuce with Hot Bacon Dressing. I'm tellin' ya, there's nothing like it. Never got grams recipe before she died, but this is the one I use that tastes much like it:
  • 1 egg
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1/2 cup sliced onion
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 cups leaf lettuce - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces

• Place egg in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let egg stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Reserve excess grease.
  2. Add onions to skillet with reserved grease and cook until tender. Add bacon, vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Stir and bring to boil.
  3. Place lettuce in a large bowl. Pour hot dressing over and toss well. Garnish with egg and radishes.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Gaaawwwwddd that sounds good!

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 03:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Joe,

Back in the day, we used to put hot bacon dressing on our dandelion salad. Taught my southern-born wife that one. Also try that dressing on German potato salad.

Another regional comfort food that Joe should appreciate: Tastykakes.

Sigh.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 03:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Pvt,

I hate you ;). Tastytkake Creamies and those coffee cake ones and their fruit pies! Did I mention I hate you? Tastykake, A-Treat soda, Chocolate covered pretzels, soft pretzels, Lebanon Bologna, cheese steaks.....I really used to like you Pvt. Where's the Makers Mark....:P

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 09:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Fluffer nutters rock...though my favorite comfort food is pizza and wings...

ken

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

gosh, reading over this today and lunch time still an hour away. Everything sounds good but the scrapple. Susan, next time your in Corinth, go to Borrums Drug Store for you burger, fries and shake. Love em. I make a good chili and Tom is wonderful with mexican food.
the best comfort food when I was young was
my mom's vegeteble soup she put up every summer and would make cornbread to go with it, and that was such a treat in the winter.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 04:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Browner , my grandmother made vegtable soup and cornbread every Saturday for dinner.  It was made from the stock from the roast she had made on Sunday and any vegtables we had around .  Many times she would make hoecakes instead of cornbread.  That and a big glass of buttermilk is what I love and makes me think of Grandmama.  She also made great pies and biscuits .  My dear mother couldn't cook but boy could she sew , I had great Halloween costumes and school clothes every year.  Even coats .  Everything better than store bought.  Back to food though and comfort food. In the winter it was cinnamon toast and hot chocolate in the summer it was watermelon or strawberry soda over vanilla ice cream.  The soda had to be Mother's Pride. 

Susan

P.S. as to the hamburger, french fries and a shake I will have to starve for a week in order to have that or I will gain 20 lbs just eating it . lol.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 06:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Funny, I had that bacon dressing on a salad once in Winchester Virginia at the Texas Steak House. And it is good.  I find it pays to always request the house dressing when ordering a salad.

Last edited on Thu Nov 6th, 2008 06:52 pm by David White

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

You guys sometimes amaze me with your knowledge of the ACW but this thread is really teaching me things. I love the sound of halupkis, fluffer-nutter and shoo fly pie and I'll be looking them up next time in the States. What is scrapple? pierogis? hogjawls? These all sound like a foreign language to me.
My own idea of comfort food would be fish and chips, sausage and mash, cottage pie, spaghetti bolognaise and grilled cheese on toast.
I did once order chipped beef on toast for breakfast in a Ct. diner, my American friends were horrified but I liked it.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Joe,

Just trying to spread the love, man:

http://www.tastykake.com/

If you order today, you might could have some Tastykakes by this weekend.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
izzy

Mana: 

OK fedreb, what is the "mash" in 'sausage and mash'?  And what is 'cottage pie'?  Is it just another name for shepherd's pie?  I like chipped beef on toast, too.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

chip beef on toast was one of my father's favorite dinners.  Guys in the army in the 40's during WW2 called it something else,  sh*t on a shingle .  It was one of the things my mother could make. Not my favorite thing but a friend of mine makes a dip with chip beef , nuts and I think cream cheese that is wonderful.

Susan

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 09:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

For the best chipped beef, head to Getysburg and go to the Avenue Restaurant on Steinwehr. They do it right!

Pvt. - took a look at he tastykake site. Geez, I think it would be cheaper to drive to Pa. Besides, tore up the credit cards years ago...;)

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 10:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Joy of Cooking; Rombauer & Becker; the Bobbs-Merrill Company, Indianapolis/NY; 1975 printing:

Pork Scrapple or Goetta:  (About 6 servings)

If you use cornmeal, call it scrapple.  If you use oats, call it goetta.  Place in a pan:  2 pounds pork neck bones or other bony pieces.  Add:  1 and a 1/2 quarts boiling water, 1 sliced onion, 6 peppercorns, (1 bay leaf).

Simmer the pork until the meat falls from the bones.  Strain, reserving the liquor.  There should be about 4 cups.  Add water or light stock if necessary to make this amount.  Using this liquid in place of boiling water, prepare: Cornmeal Mush.  You may substitute 1 cup oatmeal for the cornmeal, in which case, reduce liquid by one cup.  Remove all meat from the pork bones and chop or grind it fine.  Add it to the cooked mush.  Season with:  salt to taste, 1 teaspoon or more grated onion, (1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or sage), a grating of fresh nutmeg, and a little cayenne.'

Pour the scrapple into a bread pan that has been rinsed with cold water.  Let it stand until cold and firm.  Slice it.  To serve, saute slowly in melted butter or drippings.

Cornmeal Mush:

Combine and stir: 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal, 1/2 cup cold water, 1 teaspoon salt.  Place in the top of a double boiler: 4 cups boiling water or water and milk.  Stir cornmeal mixture in gradually.  Cook and stir the mush over quick heat from 2 to 3 minutes.  Steam, covered, over - not in - hot water 25 to 30 minutes.  Stir frequently.  Serve with: maple syrup, honey, molassas, milk or cream.

Or pour the mush into a loaf pan to chill. When firm, slice and saute in cooking fat until slightly crisp and browned.  Serve with honey, maple syrup, or molassas.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 10:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

My wifes Coffee syrup over icecream... maybe w/ brandied apples on the side.

Or my chili cheese concasaand chips. Who can go wrong w/ chips n dip in front of a good football game?

But my all time favoriet comfort food would be fry bread and wojapi or my wifes saganachi (fried cheese).

Then my wife prefers anything high in cholesteral guaranteed to give you diabetes.

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Pvt.,

Funny that you mentioned Tastykakes--I was just about to do that! My favorites are the butterscotch krimpets, but the coffeecakes are a close second.

Joe, I'll second the hot bacon dressing, either on lettuce (gotta be good old iceberg, not the spring mix stuff) or dandelion greens. And the creamed chipped beef at the Avenue is terrific--just the right mix of artery-clogging cholesterol and salty chipped beef! I guess I know where I'll be going on Remembrance Day in a couple weeks!

How about funnel cakes, anybody??

Pam

Current time is 10:39 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4565 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.