Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Thanksgiving dinner - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 21st, 2008 12:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'm going to my Sisters house this year so all I've got to bring is my belly.....which is getting quite noticeable recently. But if I were to make some stuffing I much prefer bread stuffing to cornbread.....I realize this may get me demoted to SGT. or lower by my fellow southerners.

Posted: Fri Nov 21st, 2008 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Major Crow:

"Belly" up to the bread stuffing and enjoy it.

Posted: Fri Nov 21st, 2008 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I'm doing Thanksgiving at my house this year for my side of the family. My mother is in charge of the stuffing, since that's one thing I just cannot make as well as she can (I can't even make Stove Top stuffing--the kind you just add water to--right), and she makes a great bread stuffing. I still remember there being a brown paper bag in the back of the fridge where she would put all the loaf ends for months before the holidays, and when she took them out to make stuffing I'd get to break all the really stale pieces up. Don't know where she got that idea but it worked. My great aunt used to make and bring oyster stuffing, but it was sort of like eating rubber erasers in mushy bread, to me.

My mom also makes this weird sounding but really good red beet dish, which she got as a recipe from a Gene Stratton Porter cookbook. You need fresh beets, and the sauce is a creamy horseradish type sauce that turns bright pink from the beet juice. She's made this for Thanksgiving for years, and it's actually really good!

Pam 

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 12:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
ole

Mana: 

Love beets of any kind Pam. Never met anyone else who did. Pleased to meetcha.

Ole

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 06:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Enough of this talk of food and feasting, it is now time to go cook it and prepare yourself to eat it, loosen the belts and go for it. Have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow all you guys and gals out there.

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 07:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I agree Fedreb  Have a very happy Thanksgiving Day , enjoy the company of your friends and families .  Don't overeat but enjoy the meal .  Give thanks for the things you do have in these trying days.  Don't spend all the money you do have on Black Friday .  Just enjoy the Holiday

Susan

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
ole

Mana: 

Do you have a day equivalent to Thanksgiving over there, across the pond. That is, a day of shameful feasting disguised as a prayerful paean?

Ole

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

No ole we don't , but Christmas is coming, that annual orgy of food drink and presents is not far away.

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 07:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

ole,
Please correct me if I'm wrong but would it be right to say that you guys wouldn't be having Thanksgiving if it weren't for a bunch of Brit Pilgrims sailing across the pond and nearly starving to death in New England? Saved by Native Americans I believe.

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
ole

Mana: 

Fedreb: I trust that you were smiling when you wrote that.

To begin the story is to first describe why the Pilgrims sought to leave England in the first place. Another part of the story is that they set up a store house wherein everyone put their produce (from each, according to his means) and everyone could dip in (to each, according to his needs). It didn't work then either.

The rest is more accurate. The Aboriginals apparently did teach the Pilgrims what to plant and how.

Ole

Posted: Thu Nov 27th, 2008 06:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
fedreb

Mana: 

ole
I believe it was religious persecution that led the Pilgrims to flee this island. I also believe that had we still got enough of those old sailing ships and a few bags of corn left in this bankrupt nation then there would be another flood of Pilgrims on the way..........

Current time is 06:47 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3553 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 25 queries executed.