Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Thanksgiving dinner - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
izzy

Mana: 

Thanksgiving is coming up.  Here's a north/south thing: what kind of stuffing do you prefer, bread or cornbread?  And what are your favorite sides to go with the turkey dinner?

Being a d---yankee, I like bread stuffing, although I have to admit I've run across a couple good cornbread stuffing recipes down here.  Sides: mashed potatoes, gravy, string beans, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie.

oops! forgot the cranberry sauce (not that whole berry stuff).

Last edited on Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:52 am by izzy

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Only one kind of stuffing-----Cornbread

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Tom makes a wonderful cornbread stuffing out of our leftover buttermilk biscuits and buttermilk cornbread we freeze.  His mom is coming in from California this year and he was brought up on the bread kind, so we will be having both.  They usually like the basics for the sides, but I also like cole slaw and deviled eggs.  I think the slaw might be more southern?
I do like the whole berries, but looks like Paula Dean has a great cranberry relish this year we may try!
Nita

Last edited on Sun Nov 16th, 2008 08:15 pm by browner

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 09:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i dont do stuffing, i love my grandma's turkey dressing, she makes the best!!! i love it especially with turkey leg meat.

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 10:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Parault

Mana: 

Cajun Fried Turkey.  As a matter of fact We usually do about three or four for family and friends.  We don't allow a baked turkey in our house.  Someone brings a turducken.  Cold beer and frying turkeys, and helping my cousin with his ribs (this takes place the night before).  

Stuffing.....well even though I am from the South I favor bread stuffing.  english peas, pecan pie, honey cured ham, green bean casserole, fresh homemade rolls, deviled eggs. BBQ ribs and my great Aunt's chicken and dumplings.

My wife is from New Orleans and Italian, so between her family and mine (most from Texas) we have a big spread on the table.......ya'll come on.  We say the blessing at 12:00 sharp.

Last edited on Sun Nov 16th, 2008 10:45 pm by Parault

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The best stuffing I have ever eaten was a rice stuffing. As I recall it had chopped pecans in it too. It was so yummy, but Hubby is a traditionalisrt, so his stuffing has to be a bread-based stuffing. I do like cornbread stuffing too, but Hubby has to follow Indiana tradition.  

As for sides, again tradition. My mom always made a Waldorf salad, but I don't have the energy to make a style of salad few in my family will eat. Yet, every Thanksgiving I miss her Waldorf salad.

I have to have Ocean Spray cranberry sauce...no other kind. I also love my mom's sweet potato casserole with marshmellows which I make every year.  I also love corn casserole.  My son's fiance makes her special green bean casserole and she does the gravy because she is very good at that. My son mashes the potatoes. Hubby insists that they be garlic-mashed potatoes, a definite dpearture from Indiana tradition.

Our family favorite Turkey Day desserts include apple-crisp with ice cream and some version of pumpkin pie but I am partial to pumpkin cheesecake. Hubby loves pecan pie--too rich for me.

By the way, I don't even like turkey, so all I eat are the side dishes.

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: By the way, I don't even like turkey, so all I eat are the side dishes.
dont like turkey??? wait i caint say nothing, i HATE ham

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

Cranberry relish: Wash and pick over whole cranberries, run them through a grinder with peeled orange sections (not too many). Sugar to taste. It's best if you let it sit so the sugar can make juice. Grind to a mince, but not a glop.

Rice dressing with pecans or walnuts! I'll have to try that. I like to cook up sausage and crumble some into the stuffing (breakfast, Italian, your choice).

Heavenly salad. Tender greens -- spinach, Bibb, Romaine leaves. Chunk up a tart apple or two, but the secret is in the dressing: small can of frozen orange juice thawed and mixed with mayo until you have a mayo dressing tasting strongly of orange, but not overwhelmingly. Couldn't hurt to plop in a few mandarin orange sections. Heavenly.

And that's enough. Leave room for dessert.

Ole

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I prefer dark meat.

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

you sound like me Duke, the white is often just to dry

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Stuffing is always a problem for me because I despise onions. No one (including my late mother and several wives) has been willing to leave onion out of their stuffing. So I have, for the last 10 years or so, done a fruit stuffing. I know it sounds horrible to traditionalists, but it's really very good....
  • 6 cups soft stale-bread crumbs
  • 2 cups diced peeled apples
  • 1 cup diced peeled orange sections
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or other nuts
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
I've also tried oyster stuffing, but found I just don't like oysters that much.

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Gotta tell you, your fruit stuffing sounds terrific. I don't like oysters either.

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i hate onions, thats why i dont eat stuffing, no one is willing to leave em out....but the fruit stuffing sounds great

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 04:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ole

Mana: 

There is something alien about disliking onions. I'm smelling a conspiracy.

Fagawdsakes! There was almost a rebellion among those building the pyramids when the supply of onions and garlic appeared to become short.

We tend to get grins about the odor of garlic, but I've not found it offensive. In fact, I like it a lot! It can be overdone, but a trace is not quite enough. Blooey! Garlic rules!

Ole

Last edited on Tue Nov 18th, 2008 04:47 am by ole

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 12:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Will be having a catered Thanksgiving at a friends. We did the same thing last year. You order your dinner from Claim Jumper and then pick it up the day before and heat it all up on Thanksgiving . It was very good last year. So expect it to be good this year. I will bring a can or two of olives though as olives have always been part of my Thanksgiving dinner, That would be Lindsey Black Olives from Lindsey California . My favorite.
Susan

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 01:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ole wrote: There is something alien about disliking onions. I'm smelling a conspiracy.

Fagawdsakes! There was almost a rebellion among those building the pyramids when the supply of onions and garlic appeared to become short.

We tend to get grins about the odor of garlic, but I've not found it offensive. In fact, I like it a lot! It can be overdone, but a trace is not quite enough. Blooey! Garlic rules!

Ole

ugh....garlic just stinks!!! it smells so bad, and it often is way to overpowering to taste

onions by themselves are just bad but garlic and onions together just make me sick

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I'm going to my next door neighbor's this Thanksgiving.  This will be the first Thanksgiving that I won't be cooking.  Feels strange.  However, I am now intrigued by javal's fruit stuffing recipe.  I think I will purchase a small turkey and try that stuffing out in a few weeks.  Maybe for Xmas.  Left over turkey is always good for sandwiches and soup.  Anybody got other favorite recipes for left over turkey?

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 03:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Turkey-frame soup. Strip off the meat. Boil the bones for at least a half-day; then add coarsely chopped ONIONS (skins and all) a few chopped carrots and a whole chopped celery: boil for the rest of the day. Put the pot outside overnight to chill. Next day, scrape off the solidified fat, reheat and strain through wet cheesecloth. Use the stock to cook up a soup with whatever veggies make you happy and the meat you stripped off the frame. By itself, the soup will be hearty enough to stand as a dinner by itself.

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 03:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

If you have at least three cups of left over turkey place in a crock pot with one can of cream of mushroom soup, ONION and GARLIC to taste and let cook overnight.It is a great sandwich spread. 

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 03:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Ole:  Once again you show yourself to be the master of soup stock.

j harold:  That crock pot turkey sounds good!  I bet that is good over rice or mashed potatoes, too. 

Current time is 09:15 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4110 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.