Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Must-see Places - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Thought this might be interesting since we're from all over the country (and beyond!). If you had a friend coming to visit your area for a few days for the first time, what are some of the unique, interesting, must-see places you'd want to take them to, or things you'd want them to do or experience? Could be Civil War or not, and they don't have to be the obviously famous places. The itinerary is yours!

Pam

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Yet another dynamite question from Miss Pam! What is missing is would I take them or would I just recommend? They'd have to go to Springfield to see the Lincon Museum and they'd have to go to the Golden Mile in Chicago. Other than that they'd have to sit in my living room, watch the Military History Channel, eat some comfort food and have a few beers.

Ole (the really bad host)

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Pam  I live in the greater Los Angeles Area.  For years I have done the 50 cent tour of L.A. with friends.  I take them around Los Angeles County without getting on any freeways which is not easy trust me.  I drive up the coast to Long Beach .  Across the two bridges to San Pedro around the Palos Verdes to the west facing beaches all the way up to Santa Monica and Malibu.  Then turn inland at Sunset Blvd.  Take Sunset all the way up to the Plaza and Olvero st.  The original street in the Pueblo of Los Angeles.   30 or more years ago I would have contnued on surface streets but it isn't safe to do that anymore.  I would then take them around downtown Los Angeles , back to the freeway and home. 

Might hit Griffith Park, visit the Autry Museum and the zoo.  See the LaBrea Tarpits, and Farmer's Market although it has changed in recent years.   

Other places are historical sites Dominguez Rancho adobe, Drum Barracks, Catalina Island , up to San Fernado Mission or more to my liking down south of me San Juan Capistrano Mission.  

Then of course Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, or save money and just walk out on the Huntington Beach Pier and watch the surfers .  Have dinner at Ruby's diner at the end of the Pier. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

That's it, Susan. I'll be right out! I've been to just about all of the European countries, Canada, Mexico, and Guatemala, but I've never been farther west than West Virginia (unless you count a layover in Houston once). Sad, but true!

Pam

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Pam you have to wait til January as I am off to South Carolina for Christmas.

But after that come on out .

I haven't raised the price in 40 years .  Still 50 cents. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 04:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I'd take them to Chinqua Penn Plantation, then I'd take them on the Civil War trails running through my home town. Take them to lunch at the Japanese restaurant in the next town over, and then maybe go see a movie or something

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 03:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Locally it would have to be Dover Castle a place steeped in history from the oldest Roman Lighthouse in Britain , the great Norman Castle itself, the WW11 command centre built deep inside the cliff under the castle from where the Dunkirk evacuation was co-ordinated, the underground hospital and, even deeper in the cliffs, the 1960's nuclear command bunker, as well as the fantastic views out over the English Channel.
Also we'd take the walk along the top of the cliffs from Dover to St. Margrets Bay and back.
We also have Deal Castle and Walmer Castle close by as well as Canterbury Cathedral, all worth a visit.
We had an American friend stay with us this year and we'd already done all the above with her before so this time it was a road trip taking in Stonehenge, the Eden Project in Cornwall and Bath.
London with all its many visitor attractions is close too but, as we have found with New York, you need more than a couple of days, more like a couple of weeks, to see and appreciate that.

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 04:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Up top of the bluffs, first Barn Bluff as the view is increadible, then up Memorial as you can drive there and after the first hike a rest would be welcome. Then a drive to Ft Snelling. If there were ladies present I'd drop them at the Mall of America w/ a GPS system so I could find them a half day or so later.

My last home, Rock Island Arsenal and the CCCB park up top of the hill then probably the John Deere Pavillion w/ a final stop just up the street at the Viet restraunt.

Prior place of residence would have a first stop at Mrs. Wahn's Thai place then a drive to Columbia for a visit of the CS museum and the state museum. Then as dusk set in drive over next to the park that is next to the post office. Next morn head out to Charleston... Angel Oak, Patriot Point, Rainbow Row, The Blind Tiger/Four Corner Cafe, Ft Sumter etc.

Before that Bear Butte, FT Meade Museum, Original Road Kill Cafe for lunch , Harney Peak, Crazy Horse Monument, Mt Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, The Latchstring for dinner. Then a conversation w/ Dave Bald Eagle and a real look at a Reservation.

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 06:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Good golly, fedreb, there for a minute I forgot you were an Englander. And I had no idea what you were talking about. But then I realized that y'all really do have good stuff to see and do. As a 'merkin, I tend to forget that your history is every bit as important to you as ours is to us.

Thank you for reminding me that we are not alone.

Ole

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 07:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

This is a depressing thread for me. If you leave out the two nearby Civil War battlefields (Shiloh and Parkers Crossroads), my advice to any visitor would be "move along, nothing to see here".

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 08:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimK

Mana: 

These are all things I've done with visitors in the last couple of years. It mostly depends on what they want to do.

Gone to Rockies games.

Drive to Boulder and walk up and down the Pearl Street Mall in the shadow of the Flatirons. Continue to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain Nation Park. Drive through RMNP on Trail Ridge Road - the highest paved road in the US. Come back over Loveland Pass (elev. 11,990') on the Continental Divide.

Other times we have gone to the US Air Force Academy in the Springs to visit the Visitor Center and the Chapel. Then over to Manitou Springs and take the Cog Railway to the top of Pikes Peak.

Others opt for the local stuff, like up to Lookout Mountain and a look at Buffalo Bill's grave. Or maybe some mountain golf to see how far they can hit a golf ball at altitude.

Some just want to shop. That's when I stay home and my wife is the tour guide.

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 09:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

Parkers Crossroads pushes my button. It was there that I was served the most inedible meal in my whole life. (There was time in Pennsylvania that I had a worse experience, but that ws many years ago.) We were truckin' on down from Donelson on the way to Corinth, and there was this restaurant where the were a bunch of trucks. (If the truckers stop there, it can't be all bad, can it?)

When you roll across Iowa or Minnesota, and you ask for a hot roast beef sandwich, you get roast beef, mashed potatoes and brown gravy on a slice or two of white bread. Standard fare. And a favorite. But there!!!! This was not a sliced roast, it had been canned. And the gravy. Don't ask.

I'd been immersed for years in the idea that suthern cooking was to die for. Clue: Eat before you head south. It took three days before we got drinkable coffee. The first cup was when CalCav offered to pour some of what he'd brewed in his office.

When NPS coffee is ambrosia, you're in the wrong state at the wrong time.

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 02:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fedreb   I will be right over . English history was my  first love before I embraced the American CivilWar.

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 04:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

England, England... isn't that somwehere between Ireland and France? Fedreb; if I ever visit the country might I arrange a visit and a guided tour?

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 04:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Ole; you're right about the coffee, Texas coffee is good but other than that no southerner ever visited a SD or Wyoming cowboy camp.  Coffee should be served with the spoos still standing straight up, otherwise it's too weak.

Last edited on Sun Dec 7th, 2008 04:02 am by Johan Steele

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Susan,
Always welcome.

Johan,
No you got us wrong, we are the bit between Wales and Norway, but if you do find us a guided tours is yours!

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Fedreb, just as long as you don't try to serve me Lutefisk.  Incidently I figure Lutefisk was why the Vikings were so tough... they had to get off the boats to get away from the stuff and you brits had all the good (ok edible) food and pretty women.

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Johan
I figure that long ago, pre-history, England was joined to Norway until they started serving that Lutefisk stuff, that's when when our Anglo-Saxon ancestors backed off quick and put 200 miles of North Sea between us to get away from the stuff!

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 09:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

The above with apologies to ole and his clan

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 09:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
ole

Mana: 

No apologies necessary, fedreb. I figure that my people put a whole ocean between themselves and that stuff.

Ole

Current time is 10:09 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2146 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.