Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Must-see Places - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

if you count out Chinqua Penn Plantation there is nothing here. my town is nothing but farms, (but i like it) and a few small businesses. we do have one movie theater, that has one screen, and people honestly still go play the piano (that has been there since it opened in the early 1900s) during some of the movies. i know half the people in my town and if you like small farming community's and half the people in town knowing your business my town is for you. i love my town though, wouldnt trade it for anybody else's

Last edited on Mon Dec 8th, 2008 04:47 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 07:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

These places being so familiar to me I forgot to mention we also have huge Napoleonic fortress and redoubts, (I worked in one for years as it is now a prison), surrounded by 30foot deep walled moats, and the WWII gun batterys ( my childhood playgrounds ) that still stare menacingly towards France daring the Germans to come.
Surrounded by so much history and despite the busy harbour with all the ferries and cruise liners it is really sad as we watch the town slowly dying on its feet with shops and business' closing with alarming regularity. Sign of these troubled economic times I suppose.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 12:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

fedreb wrote:

...it is really sad as we watch the town slowly dying on its feet with shops and business' closing with alarming regularity. Sign of these troubled economic times I suppose.

Sounds like our town. Geez, it really is a global community, isn't it?

By the way, you misspelled "harbour." There's no "u" in it. Next thing you know you'll try and tell me that the word "color" has a "u" in it. :D

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 12:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Sorry Pvt. My American is obviously not up to scratch, I'll practice and try harder. Meanwhile I'll have to use English and hope you can understand me.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 02:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

And we don't have accents, either :)

Back home in Cornwall I would drag people to Wheal Coates (also known as Chapel Porth) on the north coast. I can never tire of that stretch of coast line and the deserted empty houses. It's always the first place I visit whenever I return.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Bwa-hahahahaa to both of you. Nothing like being separated by a common language, is there?

Actually, I love all things British (particularly the Beatles). One of these days I'll have to cross over the pond for a visit — once I recover my once healthy 401k.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 04:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i can imitate you Brits. theres nothing to it for me. ive fooled a lot of people into thinking im a Brit. i can imitate the Scottish too, cant do Irish or Welsh to save my life.

Pvt.Clewell, whats your favorite Beetles song??? i love the Beetles, my favorite song is Help.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 06:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

If you come to visit me you had better be prepared to be immersed in the Civil War. We can visit sites from the Siege and Battle of Corinth without even leaving the city limits. Shiloh and Fallen Timbers are less than a half hour to the north. Iuka and Eastport the same distance to the east. 17 miles to the west is the Davis Bridge Battlefield, and to the south is Brices Crossroads and Tupelo (Harrisburg). Don't forget Britton's Lane, Middleton and Medon Station to the northwest. There are miles of earthworks scattered across the landscape and plenty of houses where famous people slept. (A.S. Johnston, Beauregard, Hardee, Bragg and Polk met in my dining room before they marched north to Shiloh on the 4th of April). Oh yes, and there are four major museum/visitor centers devoted to the war within a 45 minute drive of us.

Ole, I just put on a fresh pot of coffee...come on down and sit for a spell.

Tom

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 06:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

calcav1 you wouldn't happen to want a young southern girl for a visitor would you???? im so jealous, i wish i lived around some battlefields or something, but as far as i know the closest battle CW battle sites we have are Fort Macon and Fort Fisher which are 5 hours away from here.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tom I sure could use that cup of coffee.  Was talking about you to Cal Cav reenactor yesterday .  We were in the library at the Drum Barracks for our Christmas open house.  We were talking about your book and the other one Their Horses Climbed Trees.  He knows the two guys that wrote that book.  Since we were in the library we were going though the books and looking at all the pictures when there were not people in there. 

Was so nice to have a Cal 100 protecting me all morning.  Several times I had a couple of Berdans in there too. 

Susan

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 08:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

DG,

Asking me which is my favorite Beatles tune is like asking me what kind of chocolate I like. There's just so many good ones from which to chose.

But if you held a gun to my head, I'd probably say, "In my Life," with "Here Comes the Sun" at 1-A.

DG, do you live in/near Reidsville? If you do, you are not that far from Appomattox, and at least an hour closer to Petersburg and Richmond than I am. Also, Bentonville is just southeast of Raleigh.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 08:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

yeah i live in Reidsville. i knew that im close to a few places but because im driving with a learners permit until June and my parents act like im killing them if i can get them to take me to Fort Fisher when were at the beach its still pretty far for me.

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
calcav1

Mana: 

Susan,

Larry Rogers, author of Their Horses Climbed Trees, is a very good friend. We shared material for years before our books came out. Because they were released in two very different formats it does not detract from one or the other. We finally met for the first time in 2001 in Santa Barbara and then again a few years later in Napa. What a great guy!

Tom

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

British bands - cream, blind faith, stones, yardbirds, spencer davis all rank way above the Beatles,

Doc C

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 11:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

That's great Tom .  The more on the Cal 100 the better.  Nice to know that you too have met and worked together. 

We have a small section on the Cal 100 in the library and then a nice display on them upstairs in the hall.  Pictures of all of them  amoung other things thanks to Wayne Sherman.

Take care.

Susan

Posted: Tue Dec 9th, 2008 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: British bands - cream, blind faith, stones, yardbirds, spencer davis all rank way above the Beatles,

Doc C

no way!!!! it goes Beetles, Stones, Yardbirds, Cream, Spencer Davis and then Blind Faith

Posted: Tue Dec 9th, 2008 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My dear girl it's all a matter of taste, where you were in the 60's. I like the Beatles as much as anyone but I prefer blues to the more controlled, pop sound of the Beatles. To each his own.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Dec 9th, 2008 01:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Yesterday... other than that the bugs were overrated.

Posted: Tue Dec 9th, 2008 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: My dear girl it's all a matter of taste, where you were in the 60's. I like the Beatles as much as anyone but I prefer blues to the more controlled, pop sound of the Beatles. To each his own.

Doc C

i dont know man. i was totally born in the wrong time

Posted: Tue Dec 9th, 2008 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc I agree Stones, Yardbirds, Cream.  Blind Faith all are great and I still listen to them more than I do the Beatles.    SPELLED BEATLES not as in bugs Beetles. 

I saw all of them but Cream .  Never was in the right place at the right time to see them.  Still have all the albums.  I agree too I liked Blues better than the mainstream of the Beatles.   Blind Faith was one of the greatest of the Super bands . 

I can't remember the last time I played a Beatles CD.   One of the best shows I saw was a dance concert with the Yardbirds with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in the group and Keith Relf was so good that night.  B.B. King was on the bill too.  Forget who else think it was Jefferson Airplane and Big Brother . 

Susan

Current time is 07:28 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2105 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.