Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Re Johan Steele - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 6th, 2009 10:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

Within the last few days, Johan Steele has disabused me of the idea that running up to LaCrosse would not be a good idea in that he will soon be going to a facility wherein he will be subjected to the pleasures of physical therapy.

It will be a while before he can go back to work. Meanwhile, it is encouraging that they're going to throw him out of ICU and the IVs of pain-killers.

Can't exactly tell how long he'll be out, but a fund is being set up to kinda give a little break to his family who must eventually contend with the enormous cost of just being out of work.

Shane has a lot of friends in Red Wing, and his re-enactment group and on the boards. I don't have a lot of confidence that we can make much difference,but every little bit helps.

Olw

Posted: Wed Jan 7th, 2009 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Ladies and gents; good people you all are. You can have no idea what it hassssssssss meantnt to me to see the outpouring of support and prayers fromk you all. I am alive and a receiver of the finest gift imaginable for Christmas.

As you all know I was in a car accident 20 Dec. A car accident where paramedics and first responders police etc are in awe that noone wass killed. I hit a patch of ice and crossed the center line, it was a head on collision w/ my entire family in my mini van and 2 people in the oncoming. My daughter suffered a broken orbital and a "TBI" Traumatic brain injury (she's ok), my wife a mild concussion and severe bruising due to the seat belt, my son was unhurt becuase of the car seat. I suffered 6 broken bones beneath the right knee and both arms broken as well as a minor concussion for a total of 10 broken bones. There was some question on wether my leg was worth saving as the foot had been w/out Oxygen for a considerable time in fact today I discovered I have only three muscles fully operational below the knee sooo I have a long row to hoe before things will be back to normal. I was to go to a rehab ctr today but they rescheduled for tommorow.

I understand the two people in the other vehicle were also injured, one badly. My ambulance was ahead of hers on the way to the trauma unit. She has two broken legs and a broken arm; in some ways worse and others better. I don't know; what I do know is that all are alive and improving. As I understand it I am the only person still in hospital or otherwise away from home. And for that again I thank God.

My friends the Christmas gift I received was being 100% aware of everything after the accident; I knew where my family was, I had a good idea of their condition and most importantly I knew they were ok... or mostly so. I was the last pulled from either wreck courtesy of the jaws of life and a sawzall and it wasn't unil they got me out that i let the pain take me away. My family was ok; If the good lord had taken me then I would have been as ready as I ever have been. But the good Lord has a different plan for me.

If any of you reading this takes anything away from it let it be that every moment you spend with your family and loved ones is precious beyond belief; because it truly can be snapped away in an instant. God smiled on me and mine; I hope and pray he smiles on all of you.

Thank You All and God Bless you ALL.

BTW: I have addicted two nurses here to the study of the ACW. One to an interest in Clara Brton and nurses in general and the other seems inteeeeeeeeeeersded in all things ACW medical.

PS I apologize for my creative typing; ever see someone try to type w/ 2 broke arms, is very amusing I assure you.

Posted: Wed Jan 7th, 2009 01:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

SOOOOOOOOO glad to see you posting Johan.  Please keep getting better and better and take care of yourself.  You are so missed around here.  Thanks for the update.  Can't believe you are typing a post .  Do what the pt's tell you to do so you can be back with the beautiful daughter of yours and the new son.  Also the lovely wife.  So glad to hear the others are all better and safe. 

Take care

Susan

Posted: Wed Jan 7th, 2009 02:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

glad to hear from you Johan, you take care and be sure to take plenty of advil when in physical therapy. i just finished with it myself and sometimes the pain that comes with it is pretty bad. take care of that family and get on when you feel like it.

Posted: Wed Jan 7th, 2009 04:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Shane

So Glad to hear you are doing well and on the mind... I was going to call you at home but last heard you were still in the hospital ...  this was through Margaret..   figued you had enpugh on your plate .. My thoughts and prayers to you and yours

ymos

Steven

Posted: Wed Jan 7th, 2009 02:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ole

Mana: 

Had a nice long chat with Johan last night. He's in good spirits, mostly off the pain-killers and looking forward to moving closer to home for physical therapy and further recuperation.

It won't be long now before he's home.

Ole

You have chosen to ignore Cookie12NJCoD. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Jan 8th, 2009 02:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

You are in our thoughts and prayers!
Please do not hesitate to ask if there is ANYTHING we can do for you.
Get well soon and keep us posted on how things are going for you and the family.
Chuck (Devils Den)

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 03:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Take care Mr. Steele.

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 06:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
ole

Mana: 

Update: Shane has been, for the last week, ensconced in a nursing home in Red Wing, Minnesota where access is in a common area denied to him because he isn't mobile. Since moving there, he's posted just once.

Bringing this to the top because there is now a location for any donations. Will provide the details in the next day or two.

He's in Physical Therapy and close to home but, although he is healing rapidly, it will be a long time before he can walk, let alone get back to work. They could use anything you have to spare.

Ole

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 06:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Ole thanks for the update. Keep us posted.  For Shane when he can get to a computer Keep getting better . We miss you here .

Susan

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 09:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
ole

Mana: 

The Shane Christen Benefit Trust is now established; I can finally post it for all:

Donations to be made out to:
Shane Christen Benefit Trust
Account Number: 6000097935
Routing Number : 253279691

Bank information:
SAFE Federal Credit Union
P. O. Box 2008
Sumter, South Carolina 29151-2008

Bank's phone number: 1-800-763-8600

[posted 9th, January, 2009]

=================================
New location for Shane Christen:

Red Wing Health Center
1412 West Forth Street
Room: 2084
Red Wing, Minnesota 55066

Phone to his room: 1-651-388-4321

No restrictions on what can be sent there (within reason--mailing 12 pounder isn't advised -width of doors you know ).

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Good luck! I hope you have a quick recovery give my best to the family.

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Wow,

I have been away from this site for a while and this is is the first I have heard about the accident. I wish you well and a speedy recovery. Your insight and posts reveal you as a true scholar and our discussions will be much poorer with your abnsence.

Posted: Sun Feb 1st, 2009 04:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
ole

Mana: 

Bringing this to the top so I can find it easier when I cut and paste in more location/destination information just read on another board.

Ole

Current time is 08:03 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3714 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 26 queries executed.