Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Favorite bookstores - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

One of my favorite things to do is visit bookstores when I travel.  I never pass up a national park bookstore but there are small regional bookstores out there also many of them used bookstores.  Where are your favorites? 

Here in Huntington Beach California we have the huge Barnes and Noble and not far away is also Boarders.  I quit going to Barnes and Noble as I can never find a seat to look at the books I want to consider buying .  There seem to be people sleeping in the overstuffed chairs and the teens have all the tables and chairs taken up doing homework .  What happened to the library or staying home ?  oh well that is another thread.

Anyway.  My favorite bookstore here is a little used bookstore called Book Carnival.  They have chairs and stools in each aisle so you can sit and read the shelves. The front of the store always has boxes and boxes of books .  The Civil War section and California History section are quite good.  I usually find something of interest there and in good condition.   The staff is also very friendly. 

Traveling around I use to love Harvard Square when I visited my brother but sadly most of those bookstores are gone.

When we were in Springfield last summer across from the Old State House and next to the Lincoln Herdon Law office was a super used bookstore.  We all had a feeding freezy there.

I have not found a bookstore in South Carolina yet except Books a Million.  That is because I don't have my own transportation and am with my friends who are trying to help me curtail my habit. lol

In Tennessee I actually found in Sevierville a outlet bookstore like I use to haunt .  I picked up several Civil War books there last December including one on David Farragut I was looking for  and it only cost me eight dollars hardback.

So where do you go ?

Susan the book Maven

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Marie

Mana: 

My favorite has to be the basement of Michiana Antiques in the little burg of Allen, MI.

Used books, piles, stacks, boxes, shelves and more shelves.

It is two large rooms (or is it 3?) under 19th century store buildings in a very tiny town that was once a stage stop on the main route between Detroit and Chicago.

The whole town is mostly antique stores.

Another reason for you to come visit me, Susan.   It's sort of on the way to Decatur.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 07:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

My favorite new books bookstore is Chester County Books, about 45 minutes south of here, near West Chester University (PA). It's one of the few new book bookstores that's not a chain, and it's huge, eclectic, and has a GREAT Civil War section. Drop me there, I can spend hours. They also have a small cafe that has the best dobosh torte I've tasted outside Europe.

As for my favorite old book bookstore, that would be my parents' basement! They do antiquing, and my mother has shelves and shelves of used books. Her favorites are by Jean Stratton Porter. She doesn't have many CW books, but her large collection covers just about everything else. A nice day is spending a hot summer afternoon down in their cool basement, checking out the books!

Pam

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 10:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

my favorite bookstore is Amazon.com....and any National Park bookstore as well.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Barnes and Nobel

and the book store/gift shop in Fort Fisher

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I use Amazon quite a bit , love having my books on the doorstep. I quit going to Barnes and Noble , most of the time the people that work there have no clue what books they have. It is just a job to them. I like small nonchain bookstores and used bookstores to wander around and search. I love the smell of a really good old bookstore.
There is a great idependent bookstore in Ashland Oregon. Bloomsbury. I miss that place as I haven't been to Oregon in a couple of years. They weren't big , didn't have a big history section except Oregon Trail books , but their theatre and literature sections were great. Across the street was the Blue Dragon used bookstore. Got my unabridge Websters there for 17 dollars . I was grinning like a cheshire cat walking out with that puppy. It sits on the coffee table right in front of me . I also found other gems in that store. Their Civil War section wasn't bad last time I checked it .

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
TimK

Mana: 

In Denver, it is The Tattered Cover. I just visited Seattle, and while I was there, I spent some time (and money) at a great store called The Elliott Bay Book Company.

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 12:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Tim I have heard of the Tattered Cover and if ever in Denver it is on my list to visit.  Elliot Bay Book Company is one of my all time favorite bookstores.  In the 70's and 80's when I spent time in Seattle each summer visiting family members I always made a trek to Elliot Bay.  It is so big and meanders .  Miss it  since haven't been to Seattle in a while .   Also miss Acres of Clams and Cutters , Ivar's Salmon House and the Troll under the Bridge.

Susan

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

When I lived in Huntington on Long Island (New York for those of you who don't live around here) my favorite hang out on Saturday nights was a hole in the wall bookstore called The Book Review on Wall St.  I've lived in south Jersey for 13 years now and hear this store has become more upscale and prominent.  It's still there and I hear it is still a great place to find not only new stuff but old things too.

However, my all time favorite place to get lost is the Strand on 12th and Broadway in New York City.  If it was ever published you'll find it there. http://www.strandbooks.com/app/www/p/home/

Eighteen miles of shelves filled with rare, used, new, hard to find, out of print stuff. You can spend days there.  :shock:

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

I also like Elliott Bay in Seattle but always spend too much money there! Similarly, Powell's in Portland,OR is a great place to spend several hours and dollars. In Franklin, TN try Land Mark Booksellers. They are in a pre-Civil War building and are well-connected to local Civil War interests.

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

In San Francisco City Lights Bookstore is one of the great places to go.  Lawrence Ferlingetti  the beat poet founded the store.  It was the first all paperback book store .  I use to head for North Beach and City Lights as soon as I got to the City.  Other stores there were also good.  One of my favorite and I don't know if it is still there or not was A Clean Well Lighted Place.  Since Hemingways short story of the same name was a favorite I liked this store.  Also for second hand books green apple.

Sad to say one of the best independent bookstores ever in Berkeley California closed it's doors.  Cody's was a wonderful bookstore.  Great selection of books.  I did have an interesting experience there once though. 

I have lived in the suburbs too long .  I was teaching one summer in the City and went over to Berkely to go to the bookstores.  I was inside Cody's  bend down looking at some really nice note cards.  All of a sudden a strange smell was covering me it seemed.  I slight turned and looked and there was a homeless man very close to me.  He stuck out his hand and in a loud voice said "Give me money Lady"!!!  I was so taken aback. ... I screamed at him  " I don't have any money!!!"  and ran out of the store all the way down the block to my car and drove back to the City . 

A little over reaction on my part.  But now a funny story to me.

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 08:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote: In San Francisco City Lights Bookstore is one of the great places to go. 

Is this store down the block from a terrific restaurant called The Stinking Rose?   I think we were there.  Last June my family and I vacationed in San Francisco and a friend suggested we go to that eatery (love garlic!) and we stumbled on a great bookstore down the block.  You're right - we got lost in there for about 1-1/2 hours after dinner. :)

Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

The gift shop at the Museum Of The Confederacy has a good book selection.

And yes, The Strand in NYC is great!!

Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 02:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

In North Beach right?  The Stinking Rose sounds familiar .  North Beach has all kinds of places to eat , cofee houses, Little Italy .

Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

When in Gettysburg (I will be there next weekend!) I always go the Farnsworth House Inn bookstore and Greystone's American History store.  Love both of them!

Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Any Half Price Books... and abebooks.com but w/ the accident I'm not buying many books now and won't be for a while.

Posted: Mon Nov 30th, 2009 04:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
TimK

Mana: 

My son, a student at Seattle University, worked at a small, very pleasant bookstore in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle (the one mentioned in the link). They had to close their doors on November 30. Now it looks like the Elliott Bay Book Company is in trouble, too. The rumor is they may move to Capitol Hill, but it won't be the same.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-hometown-seattle29-2009nov29,0,4976336.story

Posted: Mon Nov 30th, 2009 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
GeorgeM
GeorgeM

Mana: 

My favorite bookstore for Civil War titles is the NPS bookstore at Manassas Battlefield.   I find it to have the most comprehensive coverage of any NPS battlefield bookstore.  That includes Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg, Shiloh, and Chickamauga.  For discount books, I hang out Barnes and Noble a lot.   

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2009 10:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I always loved going to Elliot Bay book Company when I was in Seattle.  Sadly the last time I was there I could not find parking and there were toomany unsavory characters around to park at a distance from the store to walk over .

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2009 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

George M,

I agree with you about Manassas NMP bookstore. The first time I was there was soon after the new Visitors Center opened, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Although it has plenty of titles, I am not very impressed with the bookstore at Gettysburg VC. I can find many of the titles there at lower prices, like at Amazon. However, I do like getting books there that are written by Licensed Battlefield Guides at Gettysburg--sometimes just those small softcover ones but very specific to a guide's area of interest on the battlefield. The best one I've picked up lately was the Sickles biography by Jim Hessler--great read!

Pam

Current time is 01:41 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5624 seconds (32% database + 68% PHP). 26 queries executed.