Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Anyone Here on Twitter? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 07:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

I thought it might be fun to see who here is on Twitter.  My username there is @bschulte.  Feel free to follow me and list your own Twitter username here so I can follow back.

A lot of people seem to think Twitter is just for telling people what you're doing at the moment.  I and many other people don't use it like that.  Instead, I follow the terms "civil war", "civil war books", "gettysburg", and "antietam" using TweetDeck, I "tweet" TOCWOC blog posts automatically as they come out on the blog, and I retweet the posts of other Civil War blogs and those people on Twitter who have something interesting to say about the Civil War.The end result is that I've "met" online quite a few people who are interested in the Civil War who I might never have met otherwise.

Posted: Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 09:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

I know nothing of twittering and tweeting. I have enough trouble e-mailing. Shooting out that bit on twitter is the equivalent of tossing that clay pigeon. I see one purpose there, make it dust. I talk to you on this board, and you talk to me. That is the end of it. For me, there is no value in getting twittered or tweeted.  Does Luddite ring a bell?

Ole

Posted: Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Lgebing

Mana: 

Ole, you have hit the nail squarely on the head.  I'd never tweeter (It sounds repulsive), I seldom e-mail (It takes me forever to get to the point).  We now have e-mail, You tube, Face book, and now tweeter.  Where will it end?  I'm still trying to figure out the discussion board.

Posted: Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 11:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Yea, I'm not big on fads. There was MySpace, then facebook, now Twitter. Bah.New-fangled things. Don't own a cell phone either, and never will. Tools of the devil, I say...#%$#:P

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 12:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Yea, I'm not big on fads. There was MySpace, then facebook, now Twitter. Bah.New-fangled things. Don't own a cell phone either, and never will. Tools of the devil, I say...#%$#:P
:) I, on the other hand, have tried them all!

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

bschulte wrote: I thought it might be fun to see who here is on Twitter.  My username there is @bschulte.  Feel free to follow me and list your own Twitter username here so I can follow back.

A lot of people seem to think Twitter is just for telling people what you're doing at the moment.  I and many other people don't use it like that.  Instead, I follow the terms "civil war", "civil war books", "gettysburg", and "antietam" using TweetDeck, I "tweet" TOCWOC blog posts automatically as they come out on the blog, and I retweet the posts of other Civil War blogs and those people on Twitter who have something interesting to say about the Civil War.The end result is that I've "met" online quite a few people who are interested in the Civil War who I might never have met otherwise.

Uuuh?

What on Gods green earth did you say?

I have no idea if I would like it or not, I don't know what yoou are talkin about... Ole, I'm with you...e-mail is hard enough..

what kind of an instrument is a tweeter? is it a bird? Tweety?

I knew a fella one time that I am pretty sure was a twit...does that count?

Last edited on Thu Jun 4th, 2009 01:36 am by 19bama46

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Tools of the debbil. Hmmmm. I don't know that I'd go there, but I do find that interesting. I do the grocery shopping for this family. Dear One still works, so she ought not to have to wrestle with all that crap while I do nothing.

Do I have to ask her what I ought to buy or fix for dinner? I have a cell phone if I need to reach her when I'm on the road. And she has one if I'm tying up the line on the computer. But I see, in the grocery store, people with a phone stuck in their ear.

What could be so freaking important that you have to call someone from the grocery store?

Will be going to Bardstown in a few weeks for a few days. Will have to find that cell phone and make sure it's charged up because she's going to want to know where I am and what I'm up to. Like she just got back from a cruise and called me every day to let me know how much fun she was having without me. Therein is the value of a cell phone. But I don't have to ask her what she would like for dinner. We settle that face to face.

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I have a feeling that at one time you guys were pretty sure you would have no reason to ever own a computer - and now look at you.

I don't go for all the fad stuff either, but I make sure my wife and kids have a cell phone every time they leave the house. The kids know the phones are off limits during school hours. I want to make sure they can always reach me if they need to.

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 03:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

TimK wrote: I have a feeling that at one time you guys were pretty sure you would have no reason to ever own a computer - and now look at you.

I don't go for all the fad stuff either, but I make sure my wife and kids have a cell phone every time they leave the house. The kids know the phones are off limits during school hours. I want to make sure they can always reach me if they need to.

I don't know about Ole, but I go back to the days BEFORE rotary dial phones...

pick up the receiver and theoperator would come on the line and say "number please".... give her the number you wanted and she would hook up the wires and the phone would ring... our number was 2987...and it was a party line... 4 people on it.. you could pick up the phone and listen in.. of course if mother caught us, we got a switchin... and that was with a boxwood switch, not an electrical connection!

I have cell phone I carry with me everywhere I go... in fact I use it almost exclusively because I have a device called an induction neck loop that works with it.. I wear a wire around my neck and when I get a call, it changes the sound to a magnetic impusle that my hearing aids can pick up and convert back to sound.. I use both ears on the phone...and no one else can hear what I am hearing... absolute magic!

Oh, and I sold computers when a big one had dual floppy drives and a small one had one... and a hard drive was a gleam in someone's eye...

Last edited on Thu Jun 4th, 2009 03:08 am by 19bama46

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 07:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Didn't I see a movie about this "Terminator. Rise of the Machines"

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 01:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

Bama, I remember the crank phones. Only because we didn't have one. Short crank, long crank, short crank. Didn't matter who you got because everyone was listening in anyway.

When younger and chasing girls, I'd drop into the telephone office where Ethel would place the call and I'd give her a dime for 10 minutes of cooing with Cheryl.

Of course, Ethel was listening to every word and reporting same to everyone in town.

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 02:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Ouch,

Looks like the CWi guys are grumpy old men! :D

Last edited on Thu Jun 4th, 2009 02:12 pm by bschulte

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 02:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Ouch,

Looks like the CWi guys are grumpy old men! :D

Not true - we have grumpy old women too, they're just quieter :P

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 03:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

ole wrote: Bama, I remember the crank phones. Only because we didn't have one. Short crank, long crank, short crank. Didn't matter who you got because everyone was listening in anyway.

When younger and chasing girls, I'd drop into the telephone office where Ethel would place the call and I'd give her a dime for 10 minutes of cooing with Cheryl.

Of course, Ethel was listening to every word and reporting same to everyone in town.

Crank phones were for "phoning fish"

Put the leads in the water, turn the crank, and the electricity generated will stun the fish and cause them to come to the surface... better not let the warden catch you with one....

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Not all grumpy old men.  I will add my two cents here.  I have a cell phone, laptop and now have added a gps for my car.  I also have a iPod.  But that is as far as I go right now.  I am on Facebook but have no use to Twitter . 

I am with Ole .  I don't understand people that wander around the store with the cell phone attached to their ears. Worse than that is the bluetooth .  Now my friend who is in business and has clients contacting him all day needs one .  He also has the hearing aids connected by a wire around his neck like Bama has.  He says it puts a voice in the middle of his head.  clearest he has heard in years .  That I understand but why do teenagers need a blue tooth ?  Why are all those people talking to themselves as they are walking around ?  Oh wait they are not , they are talking to someone else. 

In Columbia South Carolina a couple of years ago I was going to a store near USC.  Classes had just gotten out.  I could not believe all the young people walking along with a cell phone in one ear and an ipod in the other .  They were all walking with others but it seems talking to someone at a distance is more important than the people right next to you.

Around here in Southern California I see young mothers pushing strollers with their child in them and a cell phone glued to their ear.  First of all can they be paying attention to the streets they are crossing with the cell in their ear?  Then isn't this a good time to be talking to their child putting language in so the child can learn?  Or is this a thing of the past and next we will see children with blue tooths calling their parents. 

Last rant , I was in the bank the other day waiting in a long line.  There were two preteens sitting in waiting chairs with cell phones.  Both phones beeped constantly.  I finally realized they were texting each other from two feet away .  Their father was in line in front of me.  I found this out when I made some comment about can't they just talk to each other .  He made some comment about his phone bill.  WHO IS IN CHARGE?

Okay add me to the grumpy old ladies .

Susan a ludite in some things.

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I have no problem with any of the aforementioned websites/ gadgets...I use or own almost all of them. Technology is good. I have never been inclined towards technophobia though I am usually the last to jump on a bandwagon. I like to research these things and make sure there's some actual benefit to including them in my arsenal of electronic weapons. I do feel however there is a tendency by many people to use many of these things as a substitute for actually living in the moment. ex: I was watching an NBA game last week and couldn't help but notice how many people were sitting with their faces buried in their cell phones texting/twittering instead of actually watching the game. Ex: many people use text messaging as a substitute for actual conversation...personally it takes me far longer to text than it does to just call someone..!)(_

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 10:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

I am proud to say i have never text-ed anyone in my entire life... and don't plan to either!

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 11:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

I use Twitter. I just started following you, and my username is Lawrence63, the same as on here.

Posted: Fri Jun 5th, 2009 07:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I have facebook and a cell phone.  Yeah I do use text messaging because there are times when you just wanna say a few things and be done with it instead of getting into a long drawn out conversation. 

Now what does Twitter have that these other programs don't? 

And Susan I know exactly what you mean.  Some of the cell phone conversations I've overheard, like one girl trying to justify cheating on her boyfriend, always boggles my mind.

Posted: Fri Jun 5th, 2009 05:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Seems like with cell phones we learn a lot about people private lives that if they just thought about it would never want anyone else to know.

Current time is 11:43 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2200 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.