Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Do you think this would happen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
Poll
Do you think it possible to deploy cadets in last ditch effort?

View Results

Vote 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2012 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

If it were our last hope as in we were invaded and need more soldiers and had no support from Canada or Mexico. That we would activate our ROTC and JROTC cadets. I mean think about it we have the following with at least 100 cadets in each battalion, wing, etc.,:

1555 Army JROTC units
794 Air Force AROTC units
619 Navy JROTC units
260 Marine Corps JROTC units
1 Coast Guard JROTC unit

That's roughly 322,900 cadets ready to go. (couldnt find ROTC specs)I was an Army JROTC Cadet for four years and an instructor for the Young Marine Corps for one year. This was always a question I got. I know current law states that JROTC and ROTC are inactive and non deployable. But in time of war and crisis amd if it were an option if not our only option (draft already ongoing) does anyone think it possible to over rule and deploy? I'm writing a book and wanted to use this as a probably course of action for our government. I thought of how Cadets were deployed in the Civil War and came up with it.

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 12:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

ROTC would be an unlikely possibility, but JROTC cadets are not affiliated with the military (by which I mean they take no oath and receive no pay). In fact, the JROTC is not allowed by law to do any kind of strictly military training like shooting weapons. They do a little close order drill and learn fitness, leadership and some orienteering. It was a different time and making a soldier took a lot less time than it does today. By the way, I've been associated with both organizations within the last 15 years. Hope that helps.

Mark

Current time is 08:27 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2953 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 29 queries executed.