Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hey Mike A., read this! - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wanted to post this specifically to MAubrecht.

Just read your blog entry about your hometown. Wanted to tell you about one of the most thrilling times in my life. It was the early 70's, in the Philadelphia Hilton which used to sit in the parking lot of the Vet in Philly. Had a boss at the time who was from Squirrel Hill (I'm sure you know the place). Anyway, it was Phillies vs. Pirates, and my boss took me to the game. After the game he said he wanted me to meet some people. Went to the 5th floor of the Hilton and he knocked on the door. There were three people in the room who's names you may recognize - Willie Stargell, Manny Sanquin (sp?), and Doc Ellis. Sat there for over an hour drinking Cold Duck with them! At that time I was a huge baseball fan, and meeting Willie remains one of my cherished memories. The sport hasn't seen a gentleman like that before or since. I can't remember the exact year, but I do remember that Doc Ellis had broke his hand the night before, and some magazine (Rolling Stone?) had just that day published an article accusing Willie of being a womanizer who cheated on his wife, so maybe if you can remember those things you can get an idea. Maybe '73 or '74. I know Richie Hebner was on the team (3rd base?), cause he knocked on the door and everyone shut up so he wouldn't know anyone was there - appears they all really hated him.

But there's a reason for this post besides making you jelous :P Some weeks later, the same boss took me to Pittsburgh and we went to what he said was a "nationally known" eating place for a "famous" sandwich, which is only known in Pittsburgh. It was basically toasted bread with everything under the sun on it - french fries, cole slaw, meat, you name it. He said it was invented because the miners only got 15 minutes for lunch, so the proprieter just started slapping a 4-course meal between 2 slices of bread. Been racking my brain for years trying to remember the place or the name of the sandwich. Does it ring a bell with you?

Anyway, enjoying your blog!

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

:)  Primanti (hope I am spelling that right) Brothers Restaurant.  Used to go there all the time when I was in Pittsburgh, especially after a baseball or hockey game. 

Don't remember the official name of the sandwich, but awesome to eat after last call.:)

Hope all is well with you all at the Compound.:)

Basecat 

Last edited on Thu Jul 20th, 2006 03:16 am by Basecat

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

Check out this link...

http://www.primantibros.com/

The site even has a photo of the "Almost Famous" Sandwich. :)

Basecat

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 10:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

LOL Base...that's it, but leading me to the picture was just cruel ;) Incredible how good that thing is. I see my ex-boss had the "true" story behind it wrong. As for tasting better after last call...what doesn't?

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 02:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Joe. I just saw the post.

You all got it "Primanti's" is an American institution. (and responsible for a lot of heart disease).

EVERYTIME I go home to visit the folks - we have to stop there. Luckily, they have franchised (there only used to be one) and are all over the area - and at the stadium and ballpark. Thanks for sharing the story - and NO thanks for making me so hungry!

BTW: I too have met Willie Stargell, and Manny - BUT I never got to drink w/ them!

Last edited on Thu Jul 20th, 2006 02:30 pm by MAubrecht

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 03:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: LOL Base...that's it, but leading me to the picture was just cruel ;) Incredible how good that thing is. I see my ex-boss had the "true" story behind it wrong. As for tasting better after last call...what doesn't?

Joe,

Been so long since I had one of those things, was tempted to head for Pittsburgh last night...:)  As for your last query...good point.:)

Hope all is well.

Basecat

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 03:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

MAubrecht wrote:
Joe. I just saw the post.

You all got it "Primanti's" is an American institution. (and responsible for a lot of heart disease).

EVERYTIME I go home to visit the folks - we have to stop there. Luckily, they have franchised (there only used to be one) and are all over the area - and at the stadium and ballpark. Thanks for sharing the story - and NO thanks for making me so hungry!

BTW: I too have met Willie Stargell, and Manny - BUT I never got to drink w/ them!

Michael,

Franchises are way after my time out there, as we used to go to the original place in the Warehouse District.  Seems like all of Pittsburgh went there after 2 AM..:)

Hope all is well.

Steve

Last edited on Fri Jul 21st, 2006 03:45 am by Basecat

Current time is 07:38 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1616 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.