Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

College football help needed - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 22nd, 2006 08:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Need help from College football fans! I'm an NFL fan, but never watch college. We're going to run 2 contests here on the board, challenging you to pick both the Superbowl winner in the NFL contest and the national champion in college prior to the opening of the respective seasons.

My problem is I have no idea how to phrase the college one. In other words - for the NFL contest, you will pick the 2 teams you think will make it to the Superbowl (and a score as a tie-breaker).

What's the best way to do this for college? Would it work if we did the same thing but specified the two teams that play in whatever bowl game it is that determines the national champion? Do all the various ranking polls (BCS, Coaches, etc.) always agree on a national champ? Need ideas fast on how best to do this. Suggestions welcome!

Posted: Tue Aug 22nd, 2006 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I would recommend members visit http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/ for all of the info and rankings on the teams (if they care). I would say the easiest "seasonal pool" to manage is to simply have people choose who will make it to the National Championship (2 teams) and in the case of a tie, you could also have them choose the victor. Really IMO - College football is all about the race to get to the Championship - and less about the actual championship itself. The system is screwy, the polls are often bogus and there are a ton of teams that share the same records at the end of the day. The NCAA is a lot harder to follow than the NFL. I say keep it simple.

Last edited on Tue Aug 22nd, 2006 08:30 pm by MAubrecht

Posted: Tue Aug 22nd, 2006 08:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

I would say have the contestants name the two teams in the BCS championship game (at Glendale Az on 8 Jan 2007) and select the winner too.

Posted: Tue Aug 22nd, 2006 08:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Thanks guys. So we'll make it: pick the two teams in the BCS Chamionship game that David mentioned with the winner and the score as a tie-breaker. Mike, last year I did the NFL only and caught all kinds of flak for not doing college. So this year I'll try to please all. I'll post both tomorrow. Thanks again!

Edit: BTW, the Civil War tie? New Civil War books as prizes :cool:

Posted: Tue Aug 22nd, 2006 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I know - it was the first time that I never picked my Steelers in a poll. :)

Worked out pretty well though. I'm not gonna pick 'em this year either.

That should guarantee ring #6.

Current time is 08:13 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3195 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.