Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Gentlemen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 01:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
ole

Mana: 

And how could I forget catfish and hush puppies. Ironically, the best hushpuppies I ever had were from the freezer in a grocery store. The second best, I made. The best catfish I ever ate came from a roadside restaurant in Austin, Minnesota. The second best, I make.

Ole

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 02:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Fried Catfish - no debate necessary - Uglelishes (pardon the spelling) in New Orleans, unfortunately closed pre Katrina. Other than that just about anyplace in the whole state of Louisiana.

Summertime - fresh peas, chow chow, cornbread, fried green tomatoes (to bump it up a couple of notches - with lump crab meat, jumbo shrimp, remolaud sauce on top)
chicken fried steak with white gravy

Doc C

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 08:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Oh Mr. JDC,

Good Job, Good Job! This is a Most Worthy Hijacking!

Please, Doc C - or anyone else from Maryland - forge this new path for us....

Thank you,

Joanie

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 12:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Moved up to the eastern shore of Maryland (portion of MD on the eastern shore of the Cheasapeke Bay) about 5 years ago from Louisiana. The eastern shore constitutes a peninsula which includes portions of virginia, maryland and delaware. ESM is definitely southern compared to the remainder of md (except that part which is south of DC. Was definintly prosecession. Primarily agricultural. Buchanan, Tilghmans, Winders, Frederick Douglass, Harrit Tubman, etc. came from here. Until I moved up here, I didn't know this part of the country even existed. Yes, it's primarily southern but with all of the migrants from the northeast its becoming increasingly diluted. Would say it's not as southern as my Louisiana and your Ark/Tx/Ok is today.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

JDC

Could never live on the western shore - anything west across the chesapeke bay bridge (Annapolic, DC, Baltimore). The MES is very quiet, rural, laid back, etc. We even charge you (toll at the bridge) to come over to our area, we gladly won't charge you so you can leave. Get's fairly hectic during the summer with all the trolls/lemmings coming from the western shore to spend their 1 week at the beaches. As an aside, many of the supplies to Virginia during the war were smuggled in from the eastern shore.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 05:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
ole

Mana: 

As an aside, many of the supplies to Virginia during the war were smuggled in from the eastern shore.

Highjack! Highjack! Doc's trying to introduce an element of the Civil War in an inappropriate thead! Danger! Danger, Will Robinson. Cheeky bugger.

Ole:shock:

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 07:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

What the . Didn't know that I would be chastised for hijacking in the idle chit chat forum. Go figure. Smacks of political correctness which I totally disdain. My deepest apologies Ole.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 08:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Some good stuff, Gang!

JDC, you are quite right, the homogenization of regional culture into the greater melting pot of the US is troubling, and I think it robs all of us, paricularly our children and grandchildren. They can't be bothered with our quaint tales of how things used to be, because they're in a hurry, they have to stop by MacDonald's before joining their buds in front of Abercrombie at the mall.

(Also, JDC, FYI--those stocking caps are called toques up here in the Great White North. I know it can get chilly in Texas, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to wear one as a fashion statement. They are a neccesity up here in winter, but they mess up your hair, and for other seasons, forgiddaboutit!)

We've been talking about Maryland. I'm also curious about Deleware. I know they were a Union slave-holding state, during the war. Are they a Southern-flavored regional culture, or what? I also know that they think personal and business taxes are evil, makes me wonder about their infrastructure. Anybody have any knowledge of The State Where The Credit Card Companies Live?

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The southern most Delaware county (there's only 3 of them) is similar to it's neighboring eastern shore Maryland. As one travels north toward Wilmington on the Pa/NJ border, it's overwelmingly nothern in feel/attitude. In addition for you Texans, it only takes an hour to drive east - west in Delaware and 2 hours to drive north - south. Nice beaches around Rehoboth, Dewey, etc. in Delaware. Thought I'd had great fried chicken before but it's incredible up here. Should be, chickens one of the biggest crops here. Perdue Chickens headquarters is in Salisbury on the MES. I can expect a note from Ole for this next one, Ft. Delaware is located just outside of Wilmington and Finn National Cemetery is just across the Delaware River in NJ just off the NJ Turnpike.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

No better meal than fried chicken and maryland blue crab.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Apparently obligatory note enclosed. (it's in a secret code. To gain access, you must be a member of a society so secret that I can't reveal it's name.)

.......................////////////////////,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/.,/

Ole

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 02:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Tulsa's not a bad city. Home of J. J. Cale, Leon Russell, Canes Ballroom. However, did have one of the worst race riots back in the 20's. Black section of the city was actually bombed by the police or national guard. Many innocent individuals killed. http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/Departments/hpolscrv/VdeLaOliva.html

Doc C

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 06:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Southern Comfort & Dr Pepper; now that my friends is the breakfest of champions.  Failing that; fried grits w/ peanut butter...

Southern gentry... can we just talk about good food? 

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 08:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"can we just talk about good food?" 

Ah, Mr. Steele,  I'm afraid not!  For it is the destiny of this thread to be hijacked over and over again....But, we can keep coming back to it!:D:D:D

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 08:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"it only takes an hour to drive east - west in Delaware and 2 hours to drive north - south. Nice beaches "

Oh, now I get it!  Delaware is a City Somewhere in California.....:shock::?....;)

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 09:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Yes, it is. And according to my daughter when I asked her about some excessive cell-phone charges, El Salvador is also a city in California.

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 09:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

OK, quit making me laugh, I'm busy trying to break Mr Ole's secret code. 

Current time is 02:07 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2452 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 28 queries executed.