Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Gentlemen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2007 10:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
101st Post
ole

Mana: 

Scrapple - Dear Lord!  They kept feeding me that stuff when I was in Pennsylvania...it was awful, I am still recovering from the emotional scars....it IS pecular to Yankees then?  I am safe from it in The South?

Can't be entirely certain, but I believe you're safe so long as you stay out of Pennsylvania. As I'm not in the habit of eating meals in Amish Country farther west, I wouldn't know if scrapple followed them to this neighborhood.

It might be that scrapple is one of those ancestral foods that get trotted out now and then to remind descendants how grateful they should be for the distance between their antecedants and themselves. Like lutefisk.

Ole

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2007 10:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
102nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Amen brother, I hope we never lose our regional differences. That's what makes us the United States. Down with homogenation.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2007 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
103rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Lutefisk... the swear filter should have caught and disembowled that one.  Who on earth likes cooked snot?  maybe that explains why the Norwegians and Swedes are so tough and the old Vikings so fierce; had to get ashore to get away from that stench... made em fighting mad.

Scrapple isn't just a Penn thing; I've had it in Illinois, Wisconsin and a time or two in  Minnesota... isn't too bad w/ plenty of good syrup.

Now as to regional dishes... wonder where in the devil I came up w/ Peanut butter & ketchup sanwiches.  Or mayo sandwiches... both staples for the poor when I was a kid.

Best Pizza I've ever had... TJ's Pizza in Clermont IA... ohhh yeah; cheese a half inch thick, sauce and toppings... dang ya'all I'm getting hungry.

Southern thing I picked up in Biloxi; French dressing on Pizza.  Thought it would be disgusting but was pleasently suprised.  Fav pizza Ham, pineapple, mushrooms & Jalapeno's.  W/ my other choice being ham & saurekraut.  The last I've only seen at Happy Joes.  Though a local pizza parlor does a Reuban pizza that's pretty good; it just ain't the same.

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2007 10:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
104th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Pizza - sweep the swamp from Johnny's Pizza in Shreveport/Monroe, La - crawfish, shrimp, andowe sausage

Doc C

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2007 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
105th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Neopolitans in Southern Italy would never reconize their pizza we have changed it so much.  We have California pizza kitchens here that have very strange pizzas i had a chief salad pizza.  crust , cheese , bacon , tomato lettuce and ranch dressing .  A friend had thai chicken pizza .  What can I say it is California.  Although I am proud of my home state I know sometimes he other 49 look at us as being odd . 

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2007 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
106th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Neopolitan pizzas, nothing better. The thin, crunchy crust, minimal toppings/ sause and the freshness. Literally makes the expression less is more have meaning. Add to that a bottle of wine. Incredible.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2007 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
107th Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc:

You are correct about Johnny's Sweep the Kitchen, good stuff!  Good pizza may be found in a lot of places and is certainly an acquired taste, I've found good stuff everywhere I've been, here's the run down for the places I've lived:

College Station, Mama's Pizza (OOB :()

Jackson Heights, New York-Dadono's Pizza

Sacramento-Rico's Pizza

Shreveport- Johnny's

Dallas-Campesi's

Austin area- Barris in Pflugerville or Reale's in Austin

But the best by far came from my hometown of San Diego at Venice's Pizza (OOB too but the chef opened his own place and it is just as good just can't recall the name of the place in El Cajon)

Of course my mama and my wife make stuff just as good as any of those, making their own dough and sauce from scratch.

Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 09:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
108th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

OK, it looks like everyone has had their fill of pizza now!

Just a quick warning - Doc C, I'm gonna hunt you down and have you make me some spicy, spicy Louisiana gumbo.  You've been making me salivate like hungry dog watching a person eat steak, every time you've posted about food.

But, OK, we have had our fill of food for the time being.  What about drink?  Who likes to drink what, and how much, LOL?  Doesn't matter if it's buttermilk or mead, elderberry wine of spring water, Rebel Yell or Wild Turkey (if I recall correctly, Joe likes Maker's Mark, and Johan Steele like Southern Comfort - for breakfast, LOL). Let's quench out thrist together now!

Ready, Set, GO!

Last edited on Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 09:37 pm by JoanieReb

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
110th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Any brand of beer in an icy bottle, anywhere during summertime.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 01:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
111th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Joanie -

Please be advised that the money we make from CWi limits me to indulging in Makers Mark very infrequently. Rum and Coke is the drink of (affordable) choice at the CWi compound....;)

Posted: Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
112th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Rum and Coke... amatuer.  True discriminating profesional drinkers don't dilute their alcohol w/ flavor!  ;-)

Now Southern Comfort & Dr Pepper... that's different.

Posted: Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 11:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
113th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Bushmill's Irish Whiskey with 1 ice cube

Doc C

Posted: Sat Mar 24th, 2007 02:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
114th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

JDC one day someone asked me if I wanted milk and with out thinking I told them yes sweetmilk please. The look on the face was worth it, they had no clue. There was in our house growing up Sweet milk, Buttermilk and ole blue john.
know what that was?

I like buttermilk but only when it is fresh from the container right after it is opened Johnny Reb has buttermilk on their menu . I always order it when I go there .

Diet Coke-Cola is my usual drink of choice. Not a drinker any more Now Johan's Southern Comfort and Dr. Pepper though did catch my eye. hmmmmmmmm

Most favorite thing , don't laugh , is my latte nonfat no form please. I know I am a Californian what can isay born and raised here.

Posted: Sat Mar 24th, 2007 04:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
115th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Hullo, Susan!

I believe that Mr. JDC has gone to a reenactment for the weekend, I think he charged us with keeping the board up and moving in the wee hours?

He is probably sleeping out in the sweet open air tonight, and preparing to photograph in the morning, with or without a dose of sweet milk. 

You know, I KNEW you had mentioned that you drink diet coke, and I forgot to include that in the very short list of "I know who drinks what" that I posted earlier.  It's just that bourbon and Southern Comfort are so much more lurid, they stuck in my mind more - please forgive me.  Bad Joanie.  It's the barrel for me.  At this rate, I shall never escape all my sins of omission and extremely stupid verbal emmission (if you haven't seen the thread, don't look, I'm so mortified that I'm eating Ben-and- Jerry's Scrapple Ice cream - OH, The Humanity! - , and comptemplating the error of my way with every bite.).

Joanie

Last edited on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 04:59 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Mar 24th, 2007 07:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
116th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Miss Joanie you have not done anything wrong. So just enjoy your Ben and Jerry's . I am sure JDC is in hog heaven right now out there in the open in the rain. Better him than me. We are left to be the guardians of the night here on the board.

To make you feel better several times I have accidently confused the names of Andrew Jackson and Stonewall much to my embarassment. I knew who I was taking about just switched the names. We all do it and sad to say asI get older something are disappearing . Not rapidly though thank goodness.
Raising my coke cola bottle in a salute to my fellow guardian of the night Hail Miss Joanie.

Posted: Sat Mar 24th, 2007 07:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
117th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

God Bless You, Miss Susan. 

I will sleep easy tonight, thanks to you!  Tipping my vitamin water back at ya, and sweet dreams when you get there, fellow Guardian of the Night!

Joanie

Posted: Sat Mar 24th, 2007 07:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
118th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Last edited on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 07:17 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2007 05:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
119th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Where is everyone ? I came home tonight after being gone all day and no postings. I was hoping for something to read.
Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2007 05:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
120th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I was wondering the same thing! 

Current time is 12:18 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2122 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.