Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Movies that make guys cry - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2007 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

While driving down to Atlanta helping my daughter move there, I was listening to NPR. The topic was movies which makes guys cry. Most of the movie titles mentioned were predictable. I recently saw Best Years of Our Lives again. Two scenes of the film were poignant - Homer's dad helping him on with his pajamas, Homer showing his girlfriend the problems in being a double amputee. The film won 7 academy awards. Harold Russell lost both hands while training paratroopers in the use of TNT in 1944. Made me think of the many amputees in past conflicts and the current Iragi War.

Doc C

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 02:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Old Yeller

The Yearling

Ole

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

I know there are...well, quite a few, actually. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what they are. It's a little psychological forgetfulness/masking that let's me preserve my tough guy status.

Let me consult with my wife and daughter on this one. I'm sure they have noticed those moments when I'm sitting there with tears and snot running down my face, acting like nothing's happening.

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 02:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Hubby doesn't cry in many movies, but I know he did cry in "Rudy" the first several times he saw it. He also cried in "Forest Gump." Oh yes, I nearly forgot the much more recent "The Queen" about how the royal family handled the aftermath of the death of Princess Diana. Helen Mirren won an Oscar for that part.

I know there are others but I can't remember for sure which ones right off hand. He tends to be moved by true stories of people overcoming great tragedy or surmounting seemingly impossible challenges. He loves stories of underdogs who succeed against all odds. 

Oh, I just remebered two more..."Ghost" with Demi Moore and whats his name...the dancer plus Whoopie Goldberg. He also cried in that Robin Williams movie, "Mrs. Doubtfire."

Last edited on Fri May 4th, 2007 02:42 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 03:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Forest Gump,  Philadelphia, Phenomenon, Its a wonderful Life,  Glory 

I sure there are others. 

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 04:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

I remember one now, kinda! it's not a movie, but a music video. I hope that counts!

It's Johnny Cash's video for his last hit, "Hurt".

I hurt myself today,
to see if i still feel,
I focus on the pain,
the only thing thats real,

The needle tears a hole,
the old familiar sting,
try to kill it all away,
but I remember everything,

(Chorus)
what have I become,
my sweetest friend,
everyone i know,
goes away in the end,

and you could have it all,
my empire of dirt,
I will let you down,
I will make you hurt.

I just totally break down and weep every time I see (or hear) it.

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 04:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Geez, I don't recall that guy I married ever crying at any movies, or anything at all!  He had me down, tho - always knew when I was going to weep, and would turn around with his arms crossed, and a big shit-eating grin on his face, like I was more amusing than the movie.  He always said "Tough guys don't dance, and they don't cry, either".  Needless to say, we don't watch a lot of movies together anymore, LOL!

Matt - Johnny Cash's redition of "Hurt" is utterly amazing.  It awed me.  And June joined in the video.  It was originally a song by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, one of the most controversial bands of the '90's.  I never cried, but I thought it was incredable:  My marriage was so impacted by substance abuse, and there it was, JC singing, and acting out, his own experience with it. 

And June looking on.

Last edited on Fri May 4th, 2007 05:00 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 05:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
David White

Mana: 

The thought of watching any Meg Ryan movie makes me want to cry, especially when my wife wants me to be as "thoughtful" as Tom Hanks or Billy Crystal or whoever is her stupid co-star.

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 09:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Years ago I was in Westwood , by UCLA to see  Love Story.  As the story is ending I was just beginning to start to cry.  Ali MacGraw's character was dying .  Just then from somewhere in the theater a hugh wail came up from someone.  I ended up laughing though the whole last scene of the movie. 

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Dear Lord, I am with You Two: David and Susan.

God save me from the romantic comedies and cornier-than-hell heart-string pullers.

But Please, Dear Lord, Give me Barry Pepper.  In ANY movie, so long as it isn't a romantic comedy.  Or, something like that horrid Ali McGraw/ Ryan O'Neal travesty that Susan mentioned.  I caught it on a late night channel about 2 years ago.  "Love means never having to say you're sorry, Preppie", or some such God-Awful Thing.

Just, give me Barry Pepper.  Please?  I promise, I'll cry - I'll make men cry, just give me Barry Pepper, OK?

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

William Defoe running from the NVA in Platoon to the music Adagio for Strings. Which war flick was the most emotional? FYI I was in Rudy, the final segment in which Rudy gets to play when ND played Georgia Tech was actually filmed after the ND - BC, Catholic Bowl game Nov. 92.

Doc C

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Today I was surprised to look over and see Hubby crying at the end of "Spiderman III." I was crying too, but it surprised me to see that Hubby also was impacted by the very sad end. I was mad at myself because I don't go to CGI mega-summer hits to cry, but, hey, it was sad! What can I say?

The saddest movie I have seen, though, in recent times is "Cold Mountain." I was depressed for several days after that movie.

May 14, 2007: I just realized that I wrote Superman rather than SPiderman. Doh!

Last edited on Mon May 14th, 2007 01:14 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: William Defoe running from the NVA in Platoon to the music Adagio for Strings. Which war flick was the most emotional? FYI I was in Rudy, the final segment in which Rudy gets to play when ND played Georgia Tech was actually filmed after the ND - BC, Catholic Bowl game Nov. 92.

Doc C

Doc, where are you in the scene? I want to check it out and see you. It is so cool that you are in one of Hubby's favorite movies.

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 11:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

After the ND - BC game, the announcer asked the crowd if they wanted to be part of crowd shots during the films ND - GT game in which Rudy gets into the game. About half the crowd stayed, so everyone justed moved in between the 20 yard lines. Haven't been able to pick us out yet. They filmed there the next week when it snowed during the ND - Penn St. game.

Doc C

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 11:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

After the ND - BC game, the announcer asked the crowd if they wanted to be part of crowd shots during the films ND - GT game in which Rudy gets into the game. About half the crowd stayed, so everyone justed moved in between the 20 yard lines. Haven't been able to pick us out yet. They filmed there the next week when it snowed during the ND - Penn St. game.

Doc C

Posted: Sun May 13th, 2007 04:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all.

The movie that always gets me came out back in 1944.  "Going My Way", which starred Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald.  Have seen the movie many times, and usually during the Christmas Season, and yet the final scene of the picture still gets to me to this day.  Will not spoil it for those who have not seen it, but the ending is unreal. :)

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State.

Steve Basic

Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 12:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Field of Dreams. That movie came out about six months after my dad passed away. In the final 10 minutes, when Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) asks his father if he wants to have a catch, I'm a goner. Every time.

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2007 04:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Movies that make me cry are few Rudy is one guess that is a guy thing, or because i was born and raised until I was 6 in South Bend. Electric Horseman with Robert Redford when he sets the horse free at the end I always cry. The Cowboys when John Waynes Character gets Killed.  In Pursuit of Honor when they are gonna Kill the horses in that pit.

Another movie that mad me mad was horse whisper when the horse is hit by the car I stoped the tape right there and flung it across the room my wife still has not got to see it till this day . Must be the trooper in me LOL.

Green Berets JDC  is that when the little vietnamese boy is looking for his friend, man loses his dog and buddy/father in the same flick that is sad.

Current time is 10:32 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4402 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.