Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

allentown - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Javal.

A few years ago, I was active in a now defunct Patty Loveless discussion board, the only other board I ever participated in. Turned out the creator/moderator of that site was also from Allentown and had since moved to Tennessee. OK, I'm 2-for-2 on discussion boards and both times, the moderators were from Allentown. Pretty amazing given the reach of the world wide web. I can only draw one conclusion: all discussion board moderators once lived in Allentown and now reside in Tennessee.

My grandfather worked at PP&L and once took me on the elevator when I was a child. I also enjoyed A-Treats, especially birch beer, but also the cream soda. Still bring some back to NC whenever I visit Pa.
I also enjoyed the Hess Brothers window displays at Christmas time (except for the perfume atomizers each time you went through the front doors).

Big question No. 1 — do you still go back to Pa. now and then?

Big question No. 2 — are you a Phillies fan (or Eagles fan, for that matter)?

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2007 02:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

PC -

Amazing to talk to someone who still remembers the Hess Christmas window displays. Cute (strange) story.... when I was young enough to still be in a stroller, my sister would push me over the Hamilton St. bridge (I grew up in Riverview Terrace on the east side) to see the windows. One year, I would guess 1962 or so, I managed to jam my head between the railings of that bridge looking for a non-existant fish my sister always claimed to see as we passed over the bridge. The fire dept. had to be called to spread the railings so I could get my head out! This happened right near the old A&B meat plant btw. I had lumps on both temples till I was 11 years old. (some would say "that explains a lot").

But to your questions.... sadly, I haven't been able to return to Allentown in almost 10 years, As a matter of fact I now have 2 grandchildren there that I have never laid eyes on. Afraid the old jalopy just won't make it.

As for Phillies/Eagles.... I refuse to follow baseball anymore, but at one time I bled Phillie red. Sitting on a shelf in front of me are several signed baseballs by Johnny Callison, Tony Taylor, Tommy Green, Mike Scmidt and others. As for the Eagles - I still bleed green for those boys. I'm an NFL fanatic, and that's my team, no matter where I live! Great to hear from another Allentown native (btw, also lived in Coplay, Whitehall, Catasauqua and Walnutport)...

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2007 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

Rats, I thought this would be a Billy Joel thread.

Clewell, back in the day, we players of CWI trivia hated to see an Eagles loss because Javal took it out on us the next day (although I still snickered if it was the Cowboys beating them).  Now those were the days when the triva questions were hard!

BTW Javal, the best questions to me are the ones I miss/are hard because I'm learning something from those and I usually don't forget them afterwards.  Please don't take a long break if you do, trivia is what initially drew me to this site in the first place. 

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2007 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Javal

Still follow the Phillies and I expect they'll break my heart again. Actually, I still follow all the Philly teams.

I'm guessing here, but did you go to Dieruff H.S.? I went to Nitschmann in Bethlehem for jr. high and then to Southern Lehigh for high school when we moved to Coopersburg.

My g.g. grandfather is buried in Catasauqua in the cemetery hard by ABE Airport. In fact, I expect he's underneath a runway by now.

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2007 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

David,

You crack me up. Never thought twice about Billy Joel.

Actually, his song 'Allentown' might have made more sense to me if he called it 'Bethlehem,' which is just down the river from Allentown. We lved hard in the shadows of Bethlehem Steel in the mid-50s. Now, of course, the massive foundries are closed and rusting away. What a shame.

Posted: Fri Jun 22nd, 2007 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Pvt.-

No Dieruff for me, although my older sister went there. I went to Raub for Jr. High, and high school was split between Emmaus, Whitehall, and South Dade in Homestead, FL.

BTW - in regards to the Billy Joel song, it applies to Allentown as well. Don't forget there used to be a huge steel plant under the 8th St. bridge (believe it was U.S. Steel).

Posted: Sat Jun 23rd, 2007 06:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

As mentioned to Javal and Xan last weekend in TN about the Allentown area, all I said was I 78 sucks in that neck of the woods, and they knew what I was talking about. :)

Have always been a huge Billy Joel fan, and always thought Allentown aptly described that area...and that was 25 years ago when it first came out.  Nylon Curtain is a great album, and also includes two of my all time Joel favorites...Goodnight Saigon and She's Right On Time.  I wore out that album when I was a student at Ohio University. :)  And yes, I mean album, as CDs did not exist back then.  ;)

Scandanavian Skies is great as well.

Don't get me started on Glass Houses, as I am grateful I never met anyone named Leyna. :)

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Basecat

Current time is 02:37 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1695 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.