Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > NASCAR as an International sport?

NASCAR as an International sport? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 01:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I think its alright for foreigners to like Nascar but I think Americans should be the drivers. Formula One racing is alright for the foreigners,but leave Nascar to the rednecks.

You GO, Girl!

JoanieReb.

Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 06:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

ijontichy wrote:

"Clearly it's not the driving action that interests you, but something more superficial."

OK, I admit it, there is nothing to compare with the sight of Dale Junior, or a greater turn-on than listening to him talk. Unless it is watching Smoke dirt-race: so much more fantastic and beautiful than when he open-wheeled in the Indy 500. Tony could drive a cockroach for the win on any track. But Indy racing bores him compared to NASCAR and dirt races.

ijontichy, have you listened to the open-wheelers' reasons for going to NASCAR? They all say, it is SO BORING! That it is only fun when the driver is in the lead. And, NASCAR is fun and challenging. And that, as drivers, they want to go where the fun and challenges are.

If you want direct quotes supporting the above statement, I can get them for you.

Personally, I think open-wheel racing is deathly boring. Just huge money behind endlessly boring races. Although, the crashes ARE spectacular - too much so for me. The drivers just crash themselves and it is way too scary to watch when they take themselves out good. Boring drivers in boring races occasionally looking like they are commiting suicide. YECK!

The big joke these days is, "Will the last driver out of open-wheel racing please turn off the lights?".

In an earlier NASCAR thread, I joked about about an Indy race in Wisconsin, where the drivers actually had "The Big One" on the first lap. Seven drivers took each out. And, as I said, "The fan went wild". The stands were pathetically empty.

Recently, The History Channel did a special on "moonshine", and had a segment, showing how NASCAR evolved from moonshine runners. Great stuff, great history.

I totally support diversity in NASCAR, and I hope you are aware that there are a number of programs supporting very young Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Females, and any other minority group out there in "farm" programs. After all, it is well known that in general, no one can become a successful NASCAR racer unless he-or-she was learning to drive a go-cart about the same time as learning to wipe his-or-her own bottom.

BTW, do you know what the NA in NASCAR stands for?  (Hint:  technically, Mexicans and Canadians are welcome.)

Well, I must go back to my xenophobic hidey-hole, from which I can safely watch NASCAR on TV....

JoanieReb

Last edited on Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 06:38 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 10:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

JOANIE!!!!!

You're back! Boy, are you back. Good to see you again. Let's have an argument.

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

:D General Private Clewell!  :D:DI MISSED YOU!:):):).

Yes, let's have a celebratory argument! :cool::cool::cool:;)

Anything in particular you'd like to argue about?  or shall I just catch up on all the threads and posts that I missed, and point out where I feel that you have suffered from incorrect thinking?:D:D:P:P:D.

Must admit, I was worried about being gone and letting you run amuck on the Board for so long with out me to reign you in, ROFL. :shock::D:P:cool:.

Joanie tired.  Need catfish, hush-puppies, and greens.  Then NASCAR truck race at 8:30. 

Got any red-eye gravy?  I'm fresh out.  Could use some with my ham tomorrow....

Good to be back.

Let me rest up for our next jousting - :D:shock::cool:

Until tomorrow,

Me.

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dang, Joannie! That mild-mannered post isn't going to foment any stimulating arguments. I was about to heat up some popcorn in the microwave and sit back and enjoy a heated debate. Guess I'll save my popcorn.))..

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ijontichy
Pathfinder

Mana: 

JoanieReb wrote:

ijontichy, have you listened to the open-wheelers' reasons for going to NASCAR? They all say, it is SO BORING! That it is only fun when the driver is in the lead. And, NASCAR is fun and challenging. And that, as drivers, they want to go where the fun and challenges are.
Do you think open-wheel racing (all or just Indy?) is boring because it's full of "dem forinners" or because of the nature of the vehicles?

BTW, do you know what the NA in NASCAR stands for?
No aliens?

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 03:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"Do you think open-wheel racing (all or just Indy?) is boring because it's full of "dem forinners" or because of the nature of the vehicles?"

Well, I've got to say, at that level, I find racing without drafting boring, so probably the second is most likely.  But mostly, it's because I have yet to see an open-wheeler with as nice a backview as Junior....I'm highly superficial when it comes to racing, you know:shock:....although I must admit, that Milka Dunno is easy on the eyes.  OOPS!  WAIT A MINUTE!  She's a fer-ner, and I'm a xenophobe, not a lesbian.  Guess I better take that back;)!

"No aliens?"

Hee-hee-hee!:D:D:D You're going to be FUN!:cool:

Last edited on Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 04:14 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 03:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"Guess I'll save my popcorn.)).."

Hey, Ya Fan!  How You doin'?  Don't put that popcorn too far away, Ya hear?

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 12:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Jeez,

Driving in circles for 4-5 hours, sitting in the hot sun with beer-guzzling (or, in the case of those under the Childress influence, wine-swilling) crackers while watching 40 or so grown men waste precious gas while driving in a potentially life-threatening endeavor for a sanctioning body that annually changes its rules even after more than 50 years of its existence and proudly takes honor in tracing its bloodlines to running illegally distilled adult beverages down back-country dirt roads while spending ungodly amounts of money just to tune a spark plug in order to get to a checkered flag first so he can douse himself with a sticky soft drink?

No wonder I always thought NASCAR was really the acronym for (sigh) Not Another Silly Chase And Race.

Hmmm. But I could be wrong. As Richard Petty, Lee Petty, Buddy Baker, David Pearson, Fireball Roberts, Cale Yarborough, Dale Earnhardt, Darrell Waltrip, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Benny Parsons, Jimmie Johnson and a host of other engineering professors so eloquently put it, "That's racin'."

Last edited on Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 12:18 pm by PvtClewell

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 01:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Pvt Clewell, how is that any different from driving on I-95 in rush hour traffic?

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

NASCAR calls it a sport and you and I call it survival.

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 05:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Ah, Pvt. Clewell,

I should rise to your bait like a hungry trout.

But, it's obvious that you have a working knowledge of NASCAR, and you have lived in NC how long?  Like 20 years?  So. I guess I'll just say, it's obvious that NASCAR is not your cup of sweet tea, and leave it at that.

God help me, I'm the same way about (American) football, sigh.  I've tried and I've tried - studied it, watched numerous games, attended numerous games, even adopted a team, but I still can't get the least excited about it.  My usual thought when watching is, "Oh, please, don't stop the clock, let's just get this thing over!"

Maybe I'm just too satiated by today's Busch race followed by The World of Outlaws finals at The Lowe's Motor Speedway dirt roundie-round, and I'll feel like mounting a spirited defense later. 

Anyway, NASCAR is becoming such big $, it's nature is going to change rapidly.  I'm guessing it will be franchised in the next few years, there's already talk of franchises going for one-hundred million dollars each.  Gone will be the days when a single owner-driver can attempt to qualify.  Ward Burton is my hero now - I almost feel sick watching his qualifying attempts.

So, let's find something elas to argue about - we haven't tried CW prison camps yet - how about, "which CW prison camp sucked the most?":dude:

Don't worry, Fan, I've found a post that really got my dander up, and I intend to have at soon!

Last edited on Sun Nov 4th, 2007 05:16 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
booklover

Mana: 

I'm sorry, am I missing something? NASCAR is a sport? (Just kidding guys!)

Best
Rob

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 09:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

This is totally off topic but welcome back Reb!! Sure did miss Ya .  )__

On topic I think NASCAR might not make it to a international level but it has grown tremendously since I started watching in 1995. IMO the reason that the open wheel drivers are coming to NASCAR is because that is where the money is and the popularity. Also IMO NASCAR is going to lose its traditional fans by moving away from the tracks that made them and giving those dates to the tracks in larger markets, will this hurt them time will tell.

As far as do you like NASCAR or is it just a bunch of rednecks going in circles , that is why we have all kinds of sports on TV , I had a roomate in college that lived and breathed St. Louis Blues Hockey but it wasnt my thing as my grandma says variety is the spice of life. Just because you like something and I may not its cool. Think that is a social issue now "you have to like or think what I like ". I say God bless America it is great for its citizens differences.

Last edited on Sun Nov 4th, 2007 09:05 pm by younglobo

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 10:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Younglobo

You're spot on. Good post. Money is the lubricant that oils everything.

It's also why venerable NC tracks like Rockingham and North Wilkesboro are now flea market sites as NASCAR tries to expand and embrace a more affluent audience (well, audience might be the wrong word since I can never hear anything at a race for days afterwards except for the ringing in my ears, but you get my drift). Did you ever think you'd see a Skybox at a NASCAR track? Childress, for one, has a condo at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Not near the speedway. At the speedway. Money, money, money.

Joanie
What makes you think my previous post was bait? (bob, bob, bob).

Also, been 30 years a Tar Heel.

I'm Yankee born and Yankee bred,
and when I die I'm Tar Heel dead...

...to paraphrase a little ditty the natives here like to throw at me from time to time. (Insert 'Tar Heel' for 'Yankee').

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
ole

Mana: 

Pvt:

A Tar Heel buddy of mine says the same thing, although rumor has it that he's trying to get his birth certificate changed to Nashville.

ole

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2007 10:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I still maintain that the BEST racing in the US is on I-95. Why? Because those brave ladies and gentlemen who drive the West Palm to  Miami stretch race trucks (including dump trucks and fuel trucks) motorcycles and motorcars all at the same time. Try THAT NASCAR!

In addition, the race is truly international with drivers from many countries, men and women, teens and eighty-year olds, and licensed, unlicensed and felons with warrants  competing. NASCAR can never match that.

Plus you don't need any darned franchise to drive out there. Just take your 1980 Toyota Camry or your 2008 Farari and have at it. No rules. No restricter plates. No trophies for the winner.

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2007 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Booklover wrote:  "I'm sorry, am I missing something? NASCAR is a sport? (Just kidding guys!)

Nice try, Rob, and cute:D, but ... I wouldn't expect you know this, not being a NASCAR fan and all...  it is such a common joke  that one of the more oft-played NASCAR commercials these days starts out, "There are those who say that NASCAR is not a sport....."

HiYa back, Younglobo!)__.  Yes, I have finished storing up nuts and berries for winter, and can now climb back into my hidey-hole and immerse myself in CW talk and watching pretty cars go round-and-round.

Private Clewell wrote:  "What makes you think my previous post was bait? (bob, bob, bob)."

Private Clewell, what makes you think I would rise to it like a hungry trout?  I am actually lulling you into a false sense of complacency while I circle it like a hungry shark - I figure, around Wednesday, I'll be going thru NASCAR withdrawl, and be hungry and ornery enough to bite then (circle, circle, circle....)

Geez, so far, the only person to really get my blood up is my fellow NASCAR fan, Mr. Joe.  To respin an old MP line, "If Ya'all do not taunt me more effectively, I shall be forced to go away"...at least to another thread =+++ :cool::cool::cool:.

Fan, the West Palm to Miami stretch of I-95 sounds like FUN!  If I weren't so xenophobic when it comes to racing, I'd try it, =+++  Tell me, how does that bump-drafting between them fuel-trucks and them motorcycles work out?:D:D:D

BTW, the correct term for what we are discussing here is "The Globalization of NASCAR" - all the NASCAR talk shows spend about half their time discussing it -  purty interesting stuff.  More interesting then them caution-ridden races are these days....

Last edited on Mon Nov 5th, 2007 04:26 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2007 05:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

JREB WROTE    Geez, so far, the only person to really get my blood up is my fellow NASCAR fan, Mr. Joe.  To respin an old MP line, "If Ya'all do not taunt me more effectively, I shall be forced to go away"...at least to another thread =+++ :cool::cool::cool:.

Ok reb i'll take that bone  ahem..... JR is a no talent bum that that is living off of daddy's name, he hasnt paid his dues and  needs a shave , shows you how good he is when he cant even get in the chase and loses tires while up front.  =+++ 

Seriously did you watch the texas race snoresville NASCAR needs to get back to the short tracks #%$# . SOO Glad Burton Smith Bought another disent track that will become a flea market, so the fans have to endure another boring,fuel millage vegas race   NOT.  On top of it all my guy finishes 7th and that bum Johnson wins and takes the points lead if NASCAR would of left the series alone instead of trying to "improve" it to make money Jeff would have the championship all wraped up but to his credit he says nothing .

oh and PVT I like the way you think LOL

Peace

Last edited on Mon Nov 5th, 2007 05:09 pm by younglobo

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2007 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

YOUNGLOBO wrote:   "JR is a no talent bum that that is living off of daddy's name, he hasnt paid his dues and  needs a shave , shows you how good he is when he cant even get in the chase and loses tires while up front.  =+++ "

Excellent try, my Excellent Friend, but I got bogged down in the image of Jr. needing a shave and forgot everything else that you wrote.  Guess that if you're going to taunt me on drivers, you better stick to Smoke, he's cute, but not that cute=+++!

BRING BACK DIRT TRACKS!!!!!!

(Now, where was I?  Jr needing a shave...Jr not needing a shave... Jr's lip curling up as he saiys "Cain't"... Jr walking away from the camera in his red firesuit.....

........Well, a Bret Favre Wrangler commercial is on, guess I better pay close attention, now, in order to see how it stacks up to Jr's............Bad Joanie, No Cookie!)

Current time is 08:35 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > NASCAR as an International sport?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2125 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.