New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 4th, 2007 12:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

One of my favorite movies to watch on the Fourth of July is '1776.' It's hardly ever on TV, but it will be this Fourth, starting at 10 p.m. (ET) on TMC. It's a faithful adaptation of the broadway play of the same name and is also a surprisingly good account of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which can't be easy for a musical to pull off. But somehow, it works. At least it does for me.

Oh, durn. We've been invited out to eat burgers and hot dogs, and me without a VCR that works.

Posted: Wed Jul 4th, 2007 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

I Say Vote Yes...Sit Down John...I say vote yes for Independency!  Just an all time classic flick, and have it on DVD here and will probably watch it tomorrow.

We did the play when I was in HS, and I had the part of the courier, and of course I got to sing the great song  Look Sharp.  :) 

Would type more, but am out of words, naturalee. ;)

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Wed Jul 4th, 2007 09:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I always like to watch Yankee Doodle Dandy on the Fourth of July.  Can't beat Cagney tap dancing across the stage unless it is seeing the real George M.Cohan . I actually did see the only movie Cohan ever made and Cagney had him down pat. 

Have a good one Steve and all.

I will be on Main Street Huntington Beach watching the Parade go by.  Shriners, vets , boy scouts and Indian princesses . Along with bands and horses and who knows what else. Oh yes  TV "stars" you have never heard of . 

Susan

Posted: Thu Jul 5th, 2007 03:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

My wife loves 1776 and watches it every Fourth of July.  The kids and I roll our eyes because the singing is so corny.  She didn't know it was on TCM and was the Director's Cut but I told her about it.  She offered to go upstaris and watch it alone but we told her to stay as I was reading the latest North and South and the kids didn't have anything they wanted to watch.  As it began with that "Sit Down John!" song my oldest boy looked at me and we both gave a silent laugh to each other. She saw it and said, "I told you I would watch it upstairs" and stormed out of the room.  The kids continued to watch anyway and thought it was pretty good when they didn't sing.  At one point my son annnounced, "They actually went 25 minutes without singing."  At 11:30 I went to bed and my wife was still watching, normally when I come to bed the TV goes off but she either likes it a lot or took it out on me for snickering as she watched it until it ended at midnight.  Maybe it was a little of both.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2007 05:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Can y'all tell I've got nothing better to do and am plumbing the depths of CWi for something of interest?

1776, though historically inaccurate in many details, tells the story of our nation's birth very effectively. When slavery finally rears its ugly head near the end of the movie, our "irrepressible conflict," the American Civil War, is plainly forecast. "What are we? Demigods? For God's sake, John, let's make America first." I'm not sure the ethical showdown between Adams/Franklin and Rutledge/other "deep southerners" is accurate, but it's great drama. The final compromise by Jefferson/Adams -- giving in to Rutledge's demand to "remove the offending passage" -- led to the many subsequent compromises in the ensuing years [Missouri, Kansas-Nebraska, et al.].

The maneuvering/delaying tactics that Adams & Franklin pulled a couple of times [to have a written declaration and the polling of the Pennsylvania delegation] were truly fine examples of parliamentary procedure that also provided cinematic tension. After the final vote is taken, notice the total quiet that intervenes before John Adams says, "It is done."

I was sad to learn that Virginia Vestoff -- Abigail Adams -- died in 1982. She and William Daniels portrayed the true-life closeness of the real John & Abigail; their correspondence with each other was a long-distance, slow-motion love-affair and served much like a psychologist's couch for John during this tumultuous time in this nation's history.

Have y'all heard that Richard Nixon censored the movie? He spoke to Jack Warner to have the song "Cool Considerate Men" excised from the original film version. Tricky Dick was afraid the Continental Congress' conservatives were portrayed as too stuffy, too concerned about wealth, too egocentric, etc. What we can buy on DVD today is a restored, "as intended to be released in 1972" version.

Always enjoyable to watch! Highly recommended!

Art in Tampa

Current time is 11:55 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3163 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.