Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

J.E.B. Stuarts cavalry rifle - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 12th, 2009 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
rollyrehm

Mana: 

My Grandmother back in the early 60s gave me a 50 cal Maynard, she said it was jeb stuarts rifle. does anyone know how to find the armory it would have been issued from. So I could find out if the serial number matches, or does not match.

Thank You and Help

Roland G Rehm

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 01:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Roland,

The Museum of the Confederacy has a display of JEB Stuart's personal accoutrements and small arms, including a Calisher & Terry carbine, which Stuart was known to carry.

Here's a YouTube video from the MofC showing some of Stuart's items:

http://www.videosurf.com/video/riding-a-raid-confederate-cavalry-54311196

The phone number for the MofC is (804) 649-1861 if you want to talk to somebody there about Stuart's small arms.

And here's Web site, which I believe is from the Gettysburg Vistitor's Center, showing a T&C:

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1022911011021366276ZVQdODXytJ

This is not to say Stuart didn't have a Maynard, which was a very popular small arm in the Confederate cavalry, even though it was manufactured in Massachusetts. You just never know. Good luck with it.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 02:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Big Shanty, home of the locomotive General, has one of Stuart's LeMatt revolvers.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Roland, if your grammy wasn't just giving you family stories, you have a treasure. Time to get to work to verify. I'm not the one to ask, but we do have those who know how to read the marks and stampings. None of which actually prove that JEB actualy carried it. But it is where to start.

Ole

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 03:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

If it were traceable it would have been issed to him while still in federal service, or possibly a private purchase shortly after his resignation.  My suggstion would be usmartialarmscollector.com. I am familiar with this service as springfield research service. They have great resourses to trace ACW era weapons by seial number, as far as unit it was issued to.  

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 07:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

The post by j harold proves my point. I have no clue, but somebody does.

Ole

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 06:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
PaulaC

Mana: 

Roland,

Did you ever get any info regarding J.E.Bs rifle?  Another good source might be the Virginia Historical Society.

Paula

Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2012 05:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

I portrayed the general for almost a decade. I also spoke with Robert Trout who portrayed the general for years and has been closer than anyone to the story of Stuart out side the family. If he carried or owned a Maynard, we or I have never heard of it. He did own several personal weapons. He carried the LeMat until the fall of 1863, and if I remember correctly it broke on him and he started carrying his old weapon with was a Whitney Navy .36 caliber Revolver. That is the weapon he was carrying at Yellow Tavern when he was shot. In 1999 I visited the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond and they had the display of his personal items which included those from the Virginia Historical Society. There is the offhand possiblity that he did own a Maynard. The JEB Stuart Birthplace Preservation Society & Trust may be another good place to ask.

Current time is 10:29 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2979 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.