Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > Civil War novel named finalist for 2008 Book of the Year

Civil War novel named finalist for 2008 Book of the Year - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 27th, 2009 01:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
yankeebelle

Mana: 

ForeWord Magazine, a literary trade journal, has announced that Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia, by Gettysburg author Jessica James, is a finalist in its 2008 Book of the Year Awards.

The book has already garnered several awards and accolades including an Indie and an IPPY award for Best Regional Fiction, and a FAVORITE BOOK of 2008 listing by two book review sites. It has also been nominated for the 2009 Michael Shaara Award for Civil War Fiction.

Lauded for its ability to evoke intense emotion, Shades of Gray presents the passionate debate of The War Between the States in an epic tale of love and adventure. The Book Connection said in its review, “Shades of Gray explores the War Between the States in a way that will touch you like no other work of fiction. If you only read one book in 2009, make it this one.”

More than 1,400 books were entered in the ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award program. Winners will be determined by a panel of librarians and booksellers, and will be announced in May.

Shades of Gray can be purchased at bookstores or from Internet book retailers like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, as well as through the author's website, http://www.jessicajamesbooks.com.

Attachment: may28cover_garamond.jpg (Downloaded 60 times)

Posted: Sun Mar 29th, 2009 01:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

While I'm not really big on reading Civil War fiction, this book sounds interesting. I would hate to spend good bucks on it and be disappointed though. I'm not a fan of sappy love stories.

Last edited on Sun Mar 29th, 2009 01:21 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sun Mar 29th, 2009 05:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

After reading Widow of the South I gave up on Civil War Fiction.

Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 29th, 2009 08:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
yankeebelle

Mana: 

That's interesting. I haven't read Widow of th South, but it looks like it got great reviews. What didn't you like about it?

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 12:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

There is a "romance" thrown in to the story that never existed. hence fiction but still it takes away from Carrie's story.  I was expecting a better telling of Carrie's carring for the bodies of the dead soldiers.  She didn't need a romance with one of the wounded soldiers. 

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 01:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

That questionable romance was exactly the reason I didn't much care for the book. I didn't think the portrayal of the Widow rang true to me. It isn't exactly the way women think or behave...well, not the women I know. I did understand her depression over the loss of some of her children due to disease. It would truly be a colossal emotional ordeal for any woman of any period of history.

Last edited on Mon Mar 30th, 2009 01:26 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Exactly my thoughts Fan.  It didn't ring true .  The rest of the book was good.  Ther roamance wasn't .

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Thanks for saying what I felt Susan. As a male I didn't feel comfortable stating that  I really doubted a victorian southern lady would have considered those emotions, and it detracted from the real story of the care and respect given the fallen at Franklin.  I feel it also cheapens the financial and emotional cost the owners of the plantation.

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 12:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
yankeebelle

Mana: 

The fact that New York publishers gushed about Widow was kind of a warning sign for me and why I never read it. They have shyed away from Shades of Gray, I'm assuming because it highlights the principles of honor, faith and duty to God and country (especially on the Confederate side). The love story only serves to heighten the sacrfices made.

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 01:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
PaulaC

Mana: 

I loved reading Widow of the South-- the love story was done very tastefully I thought it served as a mystery throughout the story.  Remember its Fiction!!!! Actually, I can't wait to visit there and its next on my list of CW sites---one of the few remaining I haven't seen.  I do believe that Carrie was an extraordinary person to take on the monumental task of identifying and giving all the solidiers a final resting place!!!  This story should have been told sooner.

Years ago when my son was in the 7th grade he was assigned to read the Killer Angels for summer reading-- well I picked up that book one day and I was hooked!!!!!  Historical Fiction opened up a whole new world to me as far as the Civil War was concerned!!!:D 

Paula

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 02:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
yankeebelle

Mana: 

I'm with you on The Killer Angels, Paula. That's what got me hooked on the Civil War.
And I completely agree that historical fiction can really serve as that impetus to get someone interested in learning more. That's what it's all about, and is probably why Shades of Gray is so well received by the Civil War community. It shows the emotions and passions of both sides, and educates without being preachy or dry.

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
PaulaC

Mana: 

Hi Yankeebell,

The book Shades of Grey was recommended to me by the author who wrote Marching Through Culpeper--Vigrinia Morton, so it looks like I'll put it on my must read list. MTC is a great book also!!!!  Just finishing up Craig Symonds Stonewall of the West about General Cleburne which I believe is a must read book.  The way Symonds describes the battles makes it easy for a novice on cw tactics to comprehend!!!!! 

Paula

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 11:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Carrie doesn't need fictional lover .  Her story is so amazing without it.  I would much rather read non fiction about the war than fictional verisions.  Never read Killer Angels.  I did listen to it on tape a couple of years ago to see what the fuss was all about.  Didn't care for it either. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 31st, 2009 12:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
yankeebelle

Mana: 

I agree - for the most part I would rather read non fictional accounts, but a good gripping fictional story that transports me to that era is a nice diversion. I probably read nine non fiction books for every fiction book, but I have some great fiction "keepers" that I wouldn't give away for the world.

Posted: Wed Apr 1st, 2009 10:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Personally I love fiction of many kinds. I don't really expect 100% accuracy in historical fiction...just the basics with a good story wrapped around them. I've read probably about equal numbers of both fiction and non-fiction. LOVED Killer Angels and all the Younger Shaara's works as well. Fiction feeds ones imagination and-I believe-helps fuel ones ability to think in the abstract. Factual reading serves as a way to self educate and also has been shown in some studies to possibly be a tool that may help stave off the onset of memory loss and other symptoms associated with Alzhiemer's disease.

Current time is 07:51 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > Civil War novel named finalist for 2008 Book of the Year

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1895 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 24 queries executed.