Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Jeb Stuart's Ride to Gettysburg book release - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2006 07:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Hey Gang,

Just a little shameless self-promotion...

The new book by myself and Eric Wittenberg, called "Plenty of Blame to Go Around: Jeb's Stuart's Controversial Ride to Gettysburg" will be available Sept. 1.  Our publisher has a web page about it - http://www.savasbeatie.com/StuartRide.html and there you can also see a sneak peek of one of the chapters.  You can also find the book on Amazon.com and most other online booksellers and military/history sites.  I hope you check it out, and if anyone has any questions please let me know.

J.D. Petruzzi

Attachment: PlentyBlame.gif (Downloaded 86 times)

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2006 07:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

We love shameless self-promotion. Congrats JD - I know you two have put a lot of work into this. Actually I think you and I met once years ago at The Mine in Gettysburg, and you were working on it even then (at least I think that was you, it was late ;) ). Anyway, congrats on wrapping it up, and I'll be sure to put it on the front page of our gift shop.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2006 07:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Yep, Joe, that was me - and I remember the talk.  We had begun putting the thing together back then, and finally finished it this spring.

Thanks so much for putting it on the gift shop - Eric and I very much appreciate it!  If anyone would like a personally signed copy, just contact me at jaydee@pennswoods.net and I'll arrange it.

J.D.

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2006 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

J.D. Congrats to you and Eric. I have been looking forward to this one for a while. 

If you guys would be interested in me adding this to my upcoming winter book reviews/interviews at The Free Lance-Star (Fredericksburg), I would be more than happy to. Email me and I'll give you my editor's contact info so she can request a review copy from the publisher. If you’re unfamiliar with my work (Eric knows me), please visit the newspaper’s website, or mine, or look at some of my recent reviews that I post here in the “Book Talk: Review It” section of the message board.

I am in the process of reading “No Greater Courage” by Richard Croker and you could be next on my list. Email me.

Last edited on Wed Aug 16th, 2006 01:25 am by MAubrecht

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2006 01:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Hi Mike,

I am familiar with your great work - and we would be honored for the review.  I will email you shortly.

BTW, also wanted to let everyone know that a special Gettysburg Edition of our book will be available - personally signed by Eric, myself, and likely Mark Grimsley, too, who wrote the forward for the book.  It will be limited to only 100 copies.  Shortly we'll release details on that.

Thanks again Mike!

J.D.

Last edited on Wed Aug 16th, 2006 02:33 pm by J David Petruzzi

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2006 06:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Great J.D. - I just heard from Eric over on his board (I posted it there too) you may want to check it out as I had a question. BTW: for those of you unfamiliar with these guys - they do great work - and that makes what I do - feel like play.

Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

J David Petruzzi wrote: Hi Mike,

I am familiar with your great work - and we would be honored for the review.  I will email you shortly.

BTW, also wanted to let everyone know that a special Gettysburg Edition of our book will be available - personally signed by Eric, myself, and likely Mark Grimsley, too, who wrote the forward for the book.  It will be limited to only 100 copies.  Shortly we'll release details on that.

Thanks again Mike!

J.D.

J.D.,

:)  Special Gettysburg Edition...sounds like the Deltas being on double secret probation. :)

Look forward to getting a copy, and congrats to you both on the publication of the book.

Hope all is well.

Basecat

Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 01:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

LOL, thanks Steve - but I promise no dead horses in the Dean's office! :P

Thanks for the kind words, Mike - it's very much appreciated.  I think everything is set up for your review copy.  Hope you enjoy it - the book is over 450 pages long.  The first half is 10 chapters of scholarly treatment of the ride itself, and then the following 3 chapters deal with the resulting controversy as it's never been done before - one chapter dealing with the participants, one chapter dealing with early historians, and then one chapter about modern commentators.  The final chapter contains my and Eric's concluding comments and insights on the entire story.

The footnotes alone take up something like 40 pages, with a bibliography large enough to choke a goat.  Hopefully folks will see that we did our homework :shock:

Best,

J.D.

Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 02:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Great JD. Looking forward to it. I assume that you got the info I emailed this AM? This is a particularly special topic for me (as a Stuart biographer myself - although I took a religious approach) as through all of my research - this seems to be one of those recurring issues that screams for either a "guilty as charged" or some sort of vindication.

I'm sure you studied Lee's orders (pre-and post) closely as well as his recollections following the war. I was always bothered by his implications (of Stuart) in order to IMO, soften his own responsibilities (whatever percentage they were) in regards to the "disaster" at Gettysburg. I have also written much on Chancellorsville and it is VERY interesting to see how Stuart (and the ANV) followed up a magnificent performance at C'ville w/ one of the worst at G'burg. It leaves you scratching your head in some regards and I cannot wait to see yours (and Eric's) take on the matter.

As much as I enjoyed that scene in the film Gettysburg of Lee "scolding" J.E.B. and then refusing his resignation w/ words of encouragement - I'm sure that it didn't go down like that. Hats off to Martin Sheen and Joseph Fuqua though for making it look so darn "inspirational."

Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
David White

Mana: 

So I'm assuming you come down more on the side of Mark Nesbitt than Ward and Bowden's?

Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 03:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I really haven't come "down on any side" yet David. That is why I am anxious to see JD and Eric's findings. They are the experts. I myself have struggled with the entire battle as so many things (at least to me - appear totally illogical and "out of character" for RE Lee.) This includes the ANV's deployments, lack of initiative in regards to the high ground, Pickett's Charge (of course) among others. Historically, Stuart has been blamed as leaving the ANV blind - and in many regards he is guilty - but WHY was he absent? is the question that has IMO, plagued his legacy for decades.

I have been to Gettysburg several times and at the risk of insulting someone, (which is NOT my intent as BOTH sides deserve equal respect), I have come away with a feeling that the Confederates "lost that fight" - more than the Union "won it." The laundry list of poor judgments that were made (on so many levels) is astounding and I think the CSA made it easier (for lack of a better word) for the Federals to capitalize on their mistakes. Although... hind-site is 20-20 and it is easy for me to "Monday morning quarterback" 143 years later... I'm hoping that JD and Eric will shed some light on the subject for the rest of us.

Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 03:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

Good comments Mike but I should have directed my question, I was hoping JD would comment on where he lies on the spectrum between Nesbitt's interpretation and Ward and Bowden.

I've always thought JEB gets a raw deal and tend to fall in line closer to Nesbitt.  I though Bill Ward and I were going to have to be seperated a few years ago when his book first came out, probably didn't help that I'm an Aggie and he's a teasip (Texas University and he was a football player for that place no less).

I've always thought JEB tried to follow the spirit of Lee's order had to make a quick decision, made a reasonable decision based on the information at hand and it ultimately turned out to be the wrong decision due to the friction of war (Bush W anyone?  How about them apples Javal ;)?).

Last edited on Thu Aug 17th, 2006 03:24 pm by David White

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

LOL, thanks Steve - but I promise no dead horses in the Dean's office! :P

:)  Glad for that, but am shocked that Otis Day and the Knights will not be playing at

party celebrating the book's release.:)

Flounder...:)

Last edited on Fri Aug 18th, 2006 03:36 am by Basecat

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 03:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

David White wrote: Good comments Mike but I should have directed my question, I was hoping JD would comment on where he lies on the spectrum between Nesbitt's interpretation and Ward and Bowden.

I've always thought JEB gets a raw deal and tend to fall in line closer to Nesbitt.  I though Bill Ward and I were going to have to be seperated a few years ago when his book first came out, probably didn't help that I'm an Aggie and he's a teasip (Texas University and he was a football player for that place no less).

I've always thought JEB tried to follow the spirit of Lee's order had to make a quick decision, made a reasonable decision based on the information at hand and it ultimately turned out to be the wrong decision due to the friction of war (Bush W anyone?  How about them apples Javal ;)?).

David,

It will be a pro take on Stuart's activities during the campaign.  The problem I have always had with the GB Campaign in terms of Stuart, is that if he was so important to the march up North, why Lee ever gave him the green light to even venture into a ride like that.  Makes no sense to me.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Great JD. Looking forward to it. I assume that you got the info I emailed this AM? This is a particularly special topic for me (as a Stuart biographer myself - although I took a religious approach) as through all of my research - this seems to be one of those recurring issues that screams for either a "guilty as charged" or some sort of vindication.
Got it, Mike, and Sarah Stephens at Savas Beatie LLC is making sure that the review is set up and that you get a copy of the book. 

I'm sure you studied Lee's orders (pre-and post) closely as well as his recollections following the war.

We sure did, as you'll see in the book.  We list all orders Stuart received from Lee and Longstreet, and analyze them in light of their similarity, differences, and also in light of what Stuart would have been able to do under the circumstances.  We do not, however, take the tack that Bowden and Ward do - I think our analysis is less speculation and more of an objective look at the intent of the orders.

So I'm assuming you come down more on the side of Mark Nesbitt than Ward and Bowden's?

Well, somewhat, David - Bowden and Ward, in my opinion, didn't back up all their conclusions and interpretations with sources.  Nesbitt is more forgiving of Stuart, obviously - but the title of our book reveals our opinions on it... "Plenty of Blame to Go Around."  By taking such a detailed examination of it all, I think we give the reader more to chew on than they bargained for... and much to form their own opinion.  You will see much in this book you've never seen before in the way of obscure and previously unused sources.  The chapters dealing with the narrative of the Ride set up the 3 following chapters in which we discuss participants', commentators', and modern writers' opinions on Stuart's performance, and we lay out all our conclusions in the final chapter.  We do not, however, try to convince anyone that we're right or wrong - just objective conclusions backed up by a wealth of evidence.  Those who have no opinion of Stuart's performance or culpability will have a lot to base an opinion on, and those who were convinced either way may either have their opinions confirmed, or may begin to change either way by considering a lot more stuff than they had previously.

J.D.

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 02:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
David White

Mana: 

Thanks JD, sounds really intriguing, I'll have to pick it up and we'll have to get you and Eric down the the Austin CWRT some day.

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

That would be terrific - we've been setting up events through next year... I have talks at CWRTs in Delaware, North Carolina, and Ohio next spring, and we're speaking at Gettysburg and in Virginia this October.  Just let us know.

Folks, also watch a new website - http://www.stuartsride.com, a new site devoted to the book.  Give us a week or so to get content up.  Also on that site will be ordering information for the limited Special Gettysburg Edition of the book - limited to only 100 copies, period - specially marked, numbered, and signed by Eric, myself, and (hopefully) Mark Grimsley (who wrote the forward).  This will be a special edition put together by the publisher.  Once they're gone, they're gone :cool:

J.D.

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

J.D. We usually run my reviews the week before (when there is an author engagement or signing in the general area.) This has helped attendance at events for Gregg Clemmer, Jack Maples, Fred L. Ray etc. The NPS bookstore here in town LOVES me (although they don't carry my books - a govt./religion thing - no biggie) Anyway, enough of my whining... Where are you in Virginia this October? Email me the details and I'll see if we can coordinate this to "match" your appearance.

Posted: Fri Aug 18th, 2006 06:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Excellent, Michael - emailing you the details on the VA trip (first weekend in October at the Jeb Stuart Birthplace).

J.D.

Posted: Sun Aug 20th, 2006 01:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Just wanted to announce that the new website devoted to the book at http://www.stuartsride.com is now up and running.  Content will continue to be added over the coming days and weeks.

There you can find excerpts from the book, a list of the content, and much more.

J.D.

Current time is 10:45 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2396 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.