Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Rhett Butlers People - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 02:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

has anyone read Rhett Buttlers People? it came out last year. i have rad it and its pretty good. it tells the story of Rhett and his adventures before and after he met Scarlett O'Hara. its not as good as Gone With The Wind but its still a good read

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
booklover

Mana: 

Frankly my dear Dixie, I don't give a damn.

Oh come on guys, you know somebody was going to use that line...why shouldn't it have been me?

Best
Rob

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 05:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

"War, war, war that's all we want to talk about here." ;)

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Good one Rob.  I am not a big fan of fictional Civil War books.  I read GWTW in high school and that was a long long time ago.  I have too many nonfiction books on the WAR , the Westward movement and Lewis and Clark to read Civil War fiction.  when I want to take a break I read totally different fiction ----Mysteries. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Haha, when I was twelve, I read GWTW about 500 or a thousand times....think my copy disintegrated. It was only for the descriptions of uniforms, tho, LOL!

I was unaware of this book, Dixie, could be an interesting read if the author has good insight into character.

I'm glad you mentioned it!

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 10:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

GWTW, highly over rated and hopefully with time will continue to decline, as well as the movie.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 01:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Geez, Doc!  Obviously YOU were never a teenage girl, LOL!

You are however, only the second man I've ever heard admit to reading GWTW, as opposed to seeing the (relatively awful) movie.  Whenever I ask most men if they have ever read the book, they respond as if I've asked them if they like to frolic in fields of daisies in a house-dress;  apparently, it is considered unmanly among some.

I strongly encourage young people to read historical fiction. 

And, come-on, all you grumpsters - I bet you all read Love Story .....and cried!=+++  And I don't even think IT was historical. 

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Read the book, once, and seen the movie numerous times. With every listing of the top 100 movies on AFI, GWTW goes down a notch. The classics, i.e. Citizen Kane, Cassablanca, Godfather, etc. never change. I do think Gable, Leigh, Howard were great actors but not in GWTW.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 03:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
booklover

Mana: 

I could never get into the book GWTW but the movie ranks high on my personal list of best films ever. Not because of its accuracy or even acting (though I think Vivien Leigh deserved her Oscar...in spades while Leslie Howard set Southern manhood back about 300 years). For me, the reason I like the movie is pure entertainment and escapism.

Best
Rob

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 01:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I agree with Rob — this movie is great entertainment and escapism.

Keep in mind that it was released nearly 70 years ago and what appears stilted and cliche to us now was probably swallowed whole back then.

Remember that production snafus also plaqued the movie, which ended up with three different directors (Victor Fleming, George Cukor and Sam Wood)

1939 — What a great year for movies. Also nominated for Oscars for best picture were The Wizard of Oz, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Wuthering Heights, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Ninotchka, Dark Victory, Of Mice and Men, and Love Affair.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

yeah it is a good read. on the inside it said that the book was started by Margeret Mitchel and was just found 2 years ago by her family. they hired a historian to write the rest. while readin it you can almost see the gorgeous Clark Gable doin some of the things mentioned in the book.

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 07:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

If Margeret Mitchell truly had a part in its writing, I shall most definitely look into it. After all, Rhett Butler was her creation...I worry about authors trying to re-create other authors' characters - the visions rarely match up right.

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

that is why i very rarely if at all write fanfic.

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2008 11:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

booklover wrote: I could never get into the book GWTW but the movie ranks high on my personal list of best films ever. Not because of its accuracy or even acting (though I think Vivien Leigh deserved her Oscar...in spades while Leslie Howard set Southern manhood back about 300 years). For me, the reason I like the movie is pure entertainment and escapism.

Best
Rob

I do feel Clark Gable was a perfect Rhett Butler and Vivien Leigh a perfect Scarlett O' Hara.  Even the woman who played Mammy was excellent even though the role was a far from what true Mammies must have been like. She actually better resembles Aunt Jamima of the pancake mix fame.  I'm not certain any mammy would have dared to sass and boss Scarlett in the way the movie and book show.

A scene in the movie that had tremendous impact on me was the one at the railroad staion where thousands of wounded and dying men are writhing on the ground  in the merciless Atlanta sun begging for water and help. So what does self-centered Scarlett do but tippy- toe gingerly over and around them to fetch a doctor to deliver Melanie's baby.  The scene does depict the true horror of war and the horrendous price so many paid to fight for what they believed right or wrong.

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Even the woman who played Mammy was excellent even though the role was a far from what true Mammies must have been like.
Please don't tell me that. I'd very much like to believe that Hattie McDaniel portrayed a believable Mammy, if not many of the colored caretakers of white children.

I found it realistic if only to hope that some of the southern insistence on the trust and responsibility given to slaves has a grain of truth. Now that I think of it, that movie is the sole source of that idea. But it does make sense.

ole

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 12:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

And, come-on, all you grumpsters - I bet you all read Love Story
Is that the one the movie -- Ryan O'Neal, Ali McGraw -- was made, based on the book by Eric Segal? Nope. Never read it. And I felt the movie to be a bit too treacly to cry over. Now give me "Old Yeller," or "The Yearling." Then you'd better have some tissues or absorbent shirt sleeves.

ole

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I read the book Love Story only because a friend gave it to me and everyone was reading it back then.  I went to the movie and sorry to say I laughed all the way though the ending .  Some one in the theater just as it was ending let out with the biggest boooo hoooo hoooo I have ever heard.  It made me laugh and I couldn't stop.    I'm with Ole Give me Old Yeller everytime I am a basket case   Also when Beth even begins to cough I start crying in Little Women . the 1940's one with Margaret O Brien as Beth.  

Susan

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i dont cry over anything be it movies, feelings, pain. i just take out my frustrations in my work outs. the worse i feel, the harder i work, the better i look.

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 07:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Crying is healthy

Susan

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 12:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: i dont cry over anything be it movies, feelings, pain. i just take out my frustrations in my work outs. the worse i feel, the harder i work, the better i look.

Has someone told you not to cry or that crying is unbecoming or a sign of weakness or lack of control? There are times, such as the loss of a family member or beloved pet when crying is the norm and therapeutic.

Also reviewing your last sentence, I see the very mantra of anorexia. I hope you know when enough is enough and can tell the difference between obsession with "looks" and a rational approach to good health.

Current time is 02:17 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4234 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.