Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Carrier - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 29th, 2008 03:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

If anyone has a chance to see the PBS series "Carrier", by all means tune in. Just watched hour 3 & 4 tonight and watched 1 & 2 last night. This may be the best, most honest depiction of life in the military today that's been shown in many years.. So honest in fact that all I can think is "how did the military even allow this to be shown?".

It focuses on life on the USS Nimitz as it is now - not your usual run-of-the-mill depiction you usually see on Military Channel/History Channel, etc. This is about the people - the kids mostly. It shows the good, and sometimes the very bad. The doubts, the immaturity, the remarkable maturity and the confusion that all these kids go through. It's rare that a show can evoke a single emotion from me. But this one, so far, has evoked pride, shame, empathy, bitterness and a myriad of others. Man, what a show. BTW, Mel Gibson is listed as one of the Executive Producers. And believe it or not - it has a great soundtrack! Seriously, this is a don't miss.

Posted: Tue Apr 29th, 2008 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Agree with the above. Just when I was worrying about going through Adams withdrawal, Carrier began Sunday. Very good series. You made a interesting point regarding maturity. It appears to me that since the majority of the crew are in their late teens, one of the primary functions of the officers is to help these "kids" stay out of trouble and grow up.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Apr 30th, 2008 03:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I enjoyed "Carrier" too. I was a little miffed when one of the super macho jet jockeys said that Air Force fighter  pilots are the ones that wear a silk scarf with their flight suits. I guess not having a scarf makes a fighter pilot better???? Smart a*&^%. Just gotta have some competition between service branches.

It's a tough life, though. I wouldn't trade places with any one of them. Worse, being a woman on those ships would carry some very difficult challenges.

I'm glad Hubby and I toured an aircraft carrier (World War Two vintage) at Charleston so as to have some feel for the proportions, how crowded things are and the flight deck.  We didn't get a chance, of course,  to experience the noise of jets taking off. I bet that is deafening.

Last edited on Wed Apr 30th, 2008 03:47 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Wed Apr 30th, 2008 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

When does this series show? Is it nightly? One day weekly?

ole

Posted: Wed Apr 30th, 2008 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

CleburneFan-

There has always been a rivalry between the different services. I remember that we used to compose and sing little ditties making fun of those in the other services.

But I can assure you that in times of trouble, none of this matters. Those naval aviators seen on the PBS series would do anything in their power, and take any risk, to save the soldiers and marines on the ground.

In the 1960s, I competed against the cadets at the Air Force Academy. Based on that and other experiences, I can conclude that Air Force pilots are just as full of themselves as their Navy counterparts. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Flying fighters, especially, is not for the faint of heart.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Apr 30th, 2008 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Ole

Part 7 of the 10 part series airs tonite. Go to pbs.com for the full listings. PBS does ocassionally hit a home run.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Apr 30th, 2008 11:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Ole, the series has been showing here on PBS at 8:00 CT. Tonight is the fourth two-hour installment. But PBS schedules differ throughout the country, so as they say "check your local listing"....

Posted: Thu May 1st, 2008 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Thanks, guys. Just switched it on.

ole

Posted: Thu May 1st, 2008 01:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'm hoping the entire series will be available for purchase at some time in the future. I'd like to sit down and watch it from start-to-finish without seeing it on a catch as catch can basis.

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Saw the last part last night. It was so sad, I finally shut it off when that nice young man's pregnant girlfriend wanted ot leave him for someone else. Those Navy people have complicated personal lives.

We really don't appreciate enough the sacrifices the militray and their families make. Now we seem to be asking more than ever of our men and women in the Armed Forces and their families. It has never been easy by any stretch, but now it just seems so much worse.

Last edited on Fri May 2nd, 2008 02:27 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 02:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'd ask for them to rerun it. Saw two of the series and was impressed with the production and with the boys and girls struggling to become men and women. When they come out of there. Wow.

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 02:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Looks like you can watch all of it on your computer...

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/full_episodes.htm 

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Javal. Thank you for that heads up. I'm not really a fan of watching shows on the computer but I might check it out anyway.

I did see at the end of last night's episode that folks can purchase the entire series on DVD for $40.00 plus s&h. It would make a wonderful gift to my sister and her husband. He is a career Navy man who has spent many a day on aircraft carriers.

In fact, he tells us that he gets to missing the ocean and wants to go again but it is so complicated to go off and leave the family behind. You can't have it both ways--- family and aircraft carrier duty.

The PBS show did film that wonderful gesture of the Navy to allow certain sailors and officers to take their kids on the ship. Oh, I would have killed for that opportunity myself! I could PRETEND to be a Navy man's kid. In fact I WAS, back in the forties, but my dad trained on a battleship.

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

I've only watched one episode but I vist pbs website often - they do a good job with it.  It's been nearly 31 years since I walked off the bird farm I was stationed on.  This brings back a lot of memories.  A lot has changed since then, but much of it has not.

connyankee (CVN-65)

Current time is 08:44 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.6345 seconds (30% database + 70% PHP). 26 queries executed.