Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Widow of the South - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 12:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ShaniFaye

Mana: 

I didnt see a thread for this one....I was wondering who all had read it and what you thought?

I have to say I wasnt expecting to enjoy it, but I really did, its really made me want to take a road trip and visit Franklin Tn and Carnton Plantation

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Glad you enjoyed it. I got through most of it before I tossed it. Dear One got into it less before she tossed it. Guess it's just one of those things that doesn't lie in the middle of any spectrum: you either like it or you don't.

ole

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ShaniFaye

Mana: 

you didnt read the end of it? My favorite part of the book was the part at the end after the story was over with all the real information on the people

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 05:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

No. I didn't read the end of it. I got to a point where another word would make me puke. Such is the way it is. You liked it, and that is what is important.

ole

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ShaniFaye

Mana: 

Thats too bad....if you ever get your hands on it again you should read the part after the fictional story is over. It had some really great information in it about the real events

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 10:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I read the whole thing but like Ole I wasn't pleased with it .  A group of us were at Carton this last summer and heard the real story and visited the graveyard.  the fictional story does not match the true story .  I never could figure why the love story was thrown into the story about Carrie.  I guess to sell more books.

Susan

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I read it and did not feel that women really act like that in such a situation and for some reason I can't explain, I couldn't connect with the widow as she was described. I'm certain the real widow was different, felt differently and thought differently than described. I also found her husband rather strange.

As odd as it may seem, I felt that none other than Scarlett O'Hara was a more believable character. I can better relate to her, a spoiled rich young woman  who feels the world revolves around her. I also related better to Rhett Butler, the surly, arrogant, worldly blockade runner and war profiteer tahn I did to the master of Carnton. 

When it comes to the Battle of Franklin, I guess I really prefer non-fiction accounts.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 01:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Didn't care for the book either, to me the author tried too hard and the romance was not needed. made it a touch too sappy for my taste.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 03:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

That's the word , It was too sappy !!!!  Thanks Johan . 

Susan

Current time is 02:39 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1635 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.