Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > We Were Marching on Christmas Day: A History and Chronicle of Christmas During the Civil War

We Were Marching on Christmas Day: A History and Chronicle of Christmas During the Civil War - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2005 05:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, by now it is the 11th as I type this and the article that sparked my posting this thread was in yesterday's paper. Though the paper did get the article from The Washington Post so for all I know folks reading the post may have read the article several days ago. The article in question was titled I'm dreaming of a blue and gray Christmas: Civil War Santa steps into the 21st century by Linda Wheeler and deals with a Kevin Rawlings, who plays Santa based on a Thomas Nast drawing of Santa in a Union costume. But beyond just playing Santa, Rawlings is also the author of We Were Marching on Christmas Day: A History and Chronicle of Christmas During the Civil War. The article does give some idea of what Christmas would have been like and does mention the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, Md does an exhibt concerning Christmas during the war. But the book is something that really intrests me as it is mentioned that it is currently out of print but a revised edition is to be published. I'm just wondering, as this is the first I've ever heard of the book, if anyone here has it and what they think of it.

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2005 02:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Marie

Mana: 

I have not read Kevin's book but have had the pleasure of listening to him give a presentation on Christmas during the Civil War, in June 2004, in Fredricksburg, VA.  He drew on material for his  talk that he had found during researching his book and it was quite enjoyable.   When is the book to be reissued?

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2005 10:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I truely wish I could say because this has really sparked my interests. I did manage to find the article on the Washington Post's website today and was shocked that they ran the article yesterday and my local paper ran it Saturday as I explained in the initial post. The title's different, but what I've read it's the exact same article, so if you want you can check it out here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/07/AR2005120700715.html

I really would love to know when this book is to be reissued because it sounds like it's going to give those of us who have not been as fortunate as yourself to hear Mr. Rawlings speak on the subject some insight into an element of the war that we may over look. Even those who have been so fortunate would no doubt love having the book for the insights it provides. I mean, I typically don't think much about the holidays that would have been celebrated during the war and that's rather foolish as both the soldiers and the home front were affected by the war when the various holidays did roll around. In one of my books I've got a picture of soldiers at an Easter mass in the field, but beyond that picture I never take the time to think of what they might have done for Easter. What traditions were there for the holiday? Was it just a day of prayer or did they have a feast to go with it? What about the 4th, did they do anything special for it? Here's a book that let's us get a glimpse of what at least one holiday was like during this time and how the war woud have affected it.

Last edited on Mon Dec 12th, 2005 10:30 pm by Hellcat

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2005 10:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

There are 3 used copies listed in our shops... http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/shop.php?mode=Books&item=0961267046&a=marketplace 

I should add that Linda Wheeler, the author of the Washington Post article, is (or was) a member of this board. Don't know if she followed when we switched from phpbb to WOWbb.

Current time is 02:10 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > We Were Marching on Christmas Day: A History and Chronicle of Christmas During the Civil War

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1643 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 24 queries executed.