Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Stealing Lincoln's Body - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 05:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

When I was in Springfield this summer one of the books I bought was Stealing Lincoln's Body by Thomas J. Craughwell .  I bought it at the Museum of Funeral Customs near the Oak Ridge Cemetery. 

I first heard the story of an attempt to steal Lincoln's body when I was a child visiting Springfield.  My father's cousin took us on a tour of Lincoln sites and while at the cemetery told me the story.  So I was really interested in reading this book. 

The book is not long only 200 pages but not only tells the story of the bumbling crew that tried to steal the body on the eve of the Presidential election 1876.  It talks about embalming ,(I know ewww), conterfeiting , and the Guard of Honor .  I literally could not put this book down. 

The cast of characters are amazing .  The story would make a great movie. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 08:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: It talks about embalming ,(I know ewww), conterfeiting , and the Guard of Honor .  I literally could not put this book down. 

im gonna be the weird one here and say i think the whole embalming process is very interesting......it would be cool to be a mortician or even better a coroner. id love to get to find out what killed people, and get to cut em open and see all the organs and stuff. yeah i know i have very strange interests

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 11:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

Dixie:

Not so weird, my youngest daughter is studying it now at Texas A&M. You also have to like a little entomology too, as that plays a big part in forensics. She’s on an army scholarship so she plans to go to medical school and use forensics in the military as a start when she graduates.

Her favorite T-shirt is one based on a Civil War placard advertising the embalming of dead soldiers. I picked it up for her at the Civil War medical museum in Frederick, MD.

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: susansweet wrote: It talks about embalming ,(I know ewww), conterfeiting , and the Guard of Honor .  I literally could not put this book down. 

im gonna be the weird one here and say i think the whole embalming process is very interesting......it would be cool to be a mortician or even better a coroner. id love to get to find out what killed people, and get to cut em open and see all the organs and stuff. yeah i know i have very strange interests
what's even cooler is seeing living people having liver transplants (yes I work in an O.R.). During the placement of the new liver the patient's intestines are piled up on their chest. And because of the digestive process known as peristalsis (simply the contraction of the thin layer of muscle surrounding the intestines that causes the digesting food to move through the bowels)never stops, they appear to be squirming like a big glistening pile of giant worms....mmmmmmmmm:P Working in health care gives me a paycheck and really good diner table stories to gross out my non-medical friends.:shock:

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Susan - That does sound like it would make a great movie. I just added the book to my Christmas wish list. Has anybody else out there read this?

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 02:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

im totally into all the forensics and stuff. i wanna be a kidney transplant surgeon one day (im planning on going to Chapel Hill Medical School, one of the best schools in NC)

Cap'n, it would be awesome to see someones intestines squirming around like that!!!! im already grossing out my friends with details of stuff that happened during Civil War times. i googled gangrene and printed off a picture and showed my friends, it was awesome to see em freak like they did. i spend as much time up at the hospital where my mom works and i hang out with her friends and hear all these stories and go back and repete em to other people just so i get the satisfaction of grossin em out . once my mom xrayed this mom and daughter who'd been in a car accident and their brains were comming outa every hole in their heads, and she's seen people be cut open and have all their intestines and stuff comming out. :shock:

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 02:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

yep sounds like your fit for duty in the forensics or medical field. I've been in X-ray for over ten years and I have yet to run out of new gross things to see.

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

now back to our regularly scheduled thread....sorry Susan...I tend to unwittingly hi-jack a thread now and then ;-)

Current time is 10:42 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1780 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 28 queries executed.