Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Thunder Along The Mississippi - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
oldcatawba
Brevard Rangers

Mana: 

Written by Jack Coombe this was the first book I read specifically about the war to the west. Don't know how successful this book was commercially but I learned a great deal about Vicksburg and have to agree with many who believe this to be a major turning point in the war. The Union engineering efforts to take Vicksburg(unsuccessful) were very interesting to read about as well.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 03:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

If you like reading about Vicksburg, beg, borrow or steal a copy of "98 Days." Grabau. Although some will say that it is not the last word on Vicksburg, it is close enough. The 98 days are counted down from when Grant crossed the river.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 12:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
oldcatawba
Brevard Rangers

Mana: 

Thanks Ole, I'll check it out.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Also try "Triumph and Defeat" vols. 1 and 2 by Terrence J. Winschel (current chief historian at Vicksburg National Military Park). Ed. C. Bearss 3 volume set is considered by many folks to be the most comprehensive study to date, but it will set you back a $100+...I have yet to take the plunge on that one myself. I was once quite the eastern theater buff until I began reading about the west. There are so many colorful characters and fascinating events to be found. I honestly haven't read anything other than western/trans-Mississippi subjects in over a year.

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 04:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Capt I love the Western Theater especially the Army of the Tennessee. That said Vicksburg is a great place to see and study too.

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 09:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

yep..I was there for a few days last Aug. They gotta clear those trees out someday though.....it's awfully hard to keep oneself oriented without being able to see the battlefield in it's entirety.

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

As mentioned in previous posts, Smith's - Champion Hill is excellent. IMHO, it was Champion Hill which forced the confederates into Vicksburg.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 10:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

As an aside, Vicksburg was my middle school field trip growing up in La. during the mid 60's.

Doc C

Current time is 12:01 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3230 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 24 queries executed.