Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Nothing But Victory - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 02:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Mark

Mana: 

Has anyone read "Nothing But Victory" by Steven Woodworth and have any comments?  I picked it up for cheap at a local second hand shop because I needed a long book for an upcoming Army field excersise.  I do not believe I have read anything by Woodworth yet, and the Army of the Tennessee is probably the Union Army I know least about so I am anxious to get started.  Cheers!

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

It is one of the most comprehensive works on the Army of the Tennessee. Should keep you very busy during your field exercise.

Ole

Posted: Sun Aug 23rd, 2009 04:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

What Ole said. I recently finished and would recommend it. It's an excellent work, but it's main flaw is a lack of maps.

Posted: Mon Aug 24th, 2009 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I haven't read that book, but I have read other books by Woodworth and feel he is an excellent historian of events in the Western theater. I'm a big fan of Woodworth's book on the most important generals of the Western theater, their successes and, more importantly, their failings...including Jefferson Davis.

Posted: Mon Aug 24th, 2009 06:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Russell Bonds

Mana: 

I agree with all the sentiments expressed above; Nothing but Victory is an excellent book and quite an enjoyable read despite its length. Keep an atlas handy to make up for the lack of maps; otherwise it's great.

Kind regards, Russell Bonds, Atlanta GA

Posted: Tue Aug 25th, 2009 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Now there's a coincidence...today I have just received Russell Bonds's new book War Like the Thunderbolt from Amazon. I can't wait to get started.

Posted: Tue Aug 25th, 2009 01:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

I have received it (War Like a Thunderbolt) and have read it!  An excellent read -- see Drew's review -- I agree with it precisely. 

Posted: Wed Aug 26th, 2009 08:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Russell Bonds

Mana: 

Thanks CleburneFan and Old North State. 

CleburneFan, I'll be interested in your reaction to War Like the Thunderbolt, since Cleburne plays a significant role in the book.

Old North State - glad you enjoyed the book.  Would you consider posting a customer review on Amazon.com?  I would really appreciate it.

With best regards,

Russell Bonds

Posted: Wed Aug 26th, 2009 11:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Mr Bonds, I'll tell you all ready how much I appreciate that some of your maps show the position of modern day major highways such as I-75 as they run through or near the battlefields. I can't tell you how much of a help that is.

I'm still in Chapter One and have read the preface. The discussion of "Gone with the Wind" was very interesting to me because that is one of my all time favorite movies.

It is hard to put the book down. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and your book will be in my suitcase. I am hoping I'll get plenty of time to sit back and relax with your fascinating book.

Last edited on Thu Aug 27th, 2009 01:48 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Sep 25th, 2009 01:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Mark

Mana: 

All, thanks for the comments. I just finished the book and I think that it is one of the best works of Civil War history that I have read, however, I agree that the atlas was quite necessary. I am looking forward to reading some of Mr. Woodworth's other works.
-Mark

Current time is 07:06 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3567 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.