Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Spencer Family - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 20th, 2008 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Since I'm no longer studying for the Gettysburg Guide Test (unfortunately will be taking it again though I have'nt got the test results back, but have that feeling) I'm able to get back to geneology/cw research. In my research today found that I'm related to Christopher Spencer, of spencer carbine fame. It's always exciting to find an ancestor however distant he might be.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Dec 20th, 2008 04:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

When you do find something, Doc, please report it here. I have none, zip, zero, nada. But I do enjoy reading about someone's ancestors.

Ole

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 05:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear Doc C,

Welcome to the CT family!! I think you'll be very surprised to learn, if I'm remembering this correctly, that the Spencer family of CT's original ancestor was Rev. Herbert (?) Spencer, an associate of Rev. Thomas Hooker who founded Hartford ca. 1636 (and established the concept of popular sovereignty codified in the Fundamental Orders of CT, 1649, the first written constitution). Ole Herb is of the English Spencer family, as in Winston Spencer Churchill and Lady Di.

People write about the FFVs of VA. Well how about the FFNs, that is, the leading Northern families who had English aristocratic/gentry roots/backgrounds: Lincoln, Spencers, Churchills (I'm one, recent DNA tests confirm), Footes, Salters, Chauncey, Chamberlain, Worden, Campbell, Saltonstall, Rex.

You might want to go to the webpage of Hartford Founders' Descendants. Also see the Avalon Project at Yale that posts all the Colonial charters.

Cheers!
Kay Larson

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 12:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

As I've said before, winter - no golf, yard work, baseball; great time for cw/geneology research. Currently researching another one of family lines, Spencer. Recently found that distant cousins were married to - Raphael Semmes, George Meade. Also, I'm a distant cousin of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Ironic that another ancestor on my mothers side was the owner of Frederick Douglass here on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 07:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear Doc C,

Or should I say "Cuz". I'm also a Harriet Beecher Stowe cousin. Nathaniel and Elizabeth Deming Foote had 6 children. The eldest, Elizabeth, who married Josiah Churchill is my ancestor. Harriet's ancestor was one of the 2 boys: Nathaniel and Robert?--don't quite remember. Harriet's mother was a Foote. See Foote family history. The other CW descendant of the 2 boys was ADM Andrew Hull Foote who with Grant commanded the Fort Henry-Donelson campaign of 1862.

Given this and that you're on the Eastern Shore, you really need to read my biography of Anna Ella Carroll, of Kingston Hall, Somerset County. She was Lincoln's political/legal advisor and a military secret agent, submitting a plan to Lincoln for the Henry-Donelson campaign.

You might want to get on the mailing list of the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center in Hartford, housed in her house.

Cheers,

Cuz Kay Larson

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Cuz Kay

Here's a couple of other zingers I've just come across. By marriage, our spencer ancestors married Admiral Raphael Semmes, Jane Ralston Chase and Kate Chase (Salmon Chase's daughters). Gleaned this information from the volumes I obtained at the Spencer Geneological and Historical Society.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 06:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear Doc C,

Three things:

Kate Chase, per Team of Rivals, very sad ending to her life. Her marriage to William Sprague fell apart after the war. She had an affair with Rep. Roscoe Conkling of NY, Sprague found them together in his mansion, went after Sprague with a shotgun and later tried to throw Kate out of a 2nd story window. She obtained a divorce and moved to Washington where she died fairly young--58--in poverty. Very surprising, eh, considering she had been the belle of Washington society.

Did you know that Lady Di and Colin Powell were cousins--apparently through a Jamaica planter connection, or something like that. Do you have any Spencer-Powell connections? I just met an African-American reenactor from Phila. who's descended from William Carney, the first AA Medal of Honor Awardee from Ft. Wagner. but also he's a Cromwell from a Barbados planter connection, ca. 1692, so very likely he's related to Oliver!! Just goes to show you seldom know who people really are.

Do any Tryons show up in the Spencer book?  They were a very wealthy Dutch family who immigrated to England and funded Puritan Churches. I would assume they're also the Tryons of NY. A line ended up buying a lot of property in CT.

CKL

Current time is 05:22 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3208 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.