Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

PVT. Simeon Counts - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

Hey I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the Alabama 25th Reg.  Company F. I know that they fought at Jonesboro because I have a copy of the application of artificial limb It says he was wounded at Jonesboro Ga, August 31, 1861 Right leg amputated. HE was my geart great Grandfather.

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 01:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

spoofseeker-

I have searched for PVT Counts in the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors' System. It shows a person of that name in the 25th Alabama, but in Co. K.

Civil War Soldiers and Sailor System

Next I sought a history of the 25th Alabama, and this one looks pretty good.

25th Alabama (History of the 25th Alabama Infantry Regiment)

However, I couldn't find PVT Counts in the rosters given of Co. K or of Co. F. Perhaps those rosters are incomplete.

General Wheeler's book might also be of use.

Confederate Military History of Alabama

You probably know who this Simeon Luther Counts (1899-1953) is. He is buried in Amarillo, TX.

Simeon Luther Counts (1899 - 1953) - Find A Grave Memorial

Good luck with your search.

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

Thank you so much. All I know is that he is burried in Texas. YOu show Amarillo got to be the same one. THX!

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

Why would he be listed in the 25th Alabama, and the the 33rd? Was it normal for the to be listed in ore than one regiment? And our record from the aplication for artificial limb states he was in company f along with the Application for relief for maimed or disabled soildiers. Is it normal for the records to be this screwed up? LOL

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

spoofseeker-

There are something like 4.2 million persons, or at least listings for persons, on the Soldiers and Sailors System. Of course there are errors, as well as incomplete listings.

In some cases, the same person can appear multiple times due to variation in spelling of names or initials. Its also true that some persons served in more than one regiment in the war.

As CSA regiments were worn down, they were sometimes consolidated into a previous regiment, or given a new designation. I can't see where that happened between the 25th and the 33rd Alabama regiments. So either there were two Simeons, or the original one was at one point listed on the roster of the 33rd Alabama. I can't give you the answer on that one.

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

Well then I'll stick with the 25th since he is listed with them on these docuents. So Braxton Bragg was over them?

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 02:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

spoofseeker-

You mentioned that your ancestor was wounded at Jonesborough in 1864. At that place, General Hardee commanded the two CSA corps engaged. Here is a summary:

Battle of Jonesborough Railroad Georgia Civil War August September 1864

Here is a site that will give you the order of battle of virtually every battle during the war. With this and the unit history, you can see the order of battle of every engagement of the 25th Alabama.

A Battles  - Gong to: "J" battles, you can find Jonesborough (AKA Jonesboro):

JONESBORO, GEORGIA- You can see that the 25th Alabama was in Deas Brigade, Ed Johnson's Division, and S.D. Lee's Corps at that place.

Last edited on Fri Mar 26th, 2010 04:45 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 02:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

Yep found record of hi when I googled him in the 25th. Yeah he was in Deas Brigade. You really pointed me in the right direction!

Posted: Fri Apr 16th, 2010 04:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I found two Pvt. Counts in Company K 25th Al. Infantry,,,,

Daniel Counts and Simeon Counts.....

Another brief history of the regiment....

25th Regiment, Alabama Infantry
25th Infantry Regiment was formed at Mobile, Alabama, in December, 1861, by consolidating the 1st and 6th (McClellan's) Alabama Infantry Battalions. The men were from the counties of Saint Clair, Talladega, Pickens, Shelby, Calhoun, Randolph, Coffee, and Pike. Sent to Tennessee, the regiment was assigned to General Gladden's Brigade, but because of illness had only 305 effectives at Shiloh. It saw little action in the Kentucky Campaign under General Gardner, then was attached to General Deas', G.D. Johnston's, and Brantley's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. The 25th participated in the difficult campaigns of the army frm Murfreesboro to Atlanta, fought with Hood in Tennessee, and was engaged at Kinston and Bentonville. It reported 90 casualties at Shiloh and 117 at Murfreesboro. This unit lost thirty-three percent of the 330 at Chickamauga, and in December, 1863, totalled 304 men and 174 arms. Forty-one percent of 273 were disabled in the Battle of Atlanta, and thirteen percent of 173 at Ezra Church. It surrendered with 70 officers and men. Colonels John Q. Loomis and George D. Johnston, Lieutenant Colonel William B. McClellan, and Major Daniel E. Huger were its field officers.

Here's a site to Deas Brigade....learned form it Company K was called "Rabby's Independent" company

http://history-sites.com/~kjones/gardner.html#25th-Inf

Current time is 05:24 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3799 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 25 queries executed.