Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

J Johnson Pettigrew - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 10:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

I been recently doing a bit of studying on Pettigrew and i think it is amazing how good of an officer he was. In '62 he refused promotion to brig. Gen because he thought he lacked the knowledge to perform his duties appropriatly. When a relative of pettigrew requested to be on his staff because he was seeking a safe post pettigrew told him that  "I assure you that the most unsafe place in the brigade is about me. By all means let him get rid of this idea of a safe place, which he will regret after time. The post of danger is certainly the post of honor."

to take the casualties that pettigrews brigade sustained on the 1st day of gettysburg and continue to fight as an effective force on the 3rd day goes to show what kind of commander pettigrew was. Personally i think had pettigrew survived for another year he would have been leading a division maybe even a corps.

Current time is 04:24 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3244 seconds (28% database + 72% PHP). 25 queries executed.