Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hylan Benton Lyon - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 19th, 2014 09:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
TerryR

Mana: 

I see in the biography of Hylan Benton Lyon that he is shown as having been assigned to Fort Huyma, California as his second assignment after graduating from West Point. This biography seems to have been paraphrased from his biography in Battle, Perrin & Kniffin, Kentucky - A History of the State (1885), which makes the same statement.

I can find no reference to a Ft. Huyma, in California or elsewhere. There was though a Ft. Yuma in the Southern California desert, established in 1851. Doesn't it seem likely that's where he was stationed?

Terry

Posted: Mon May 19th, 2014 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

TerryR-

A simple search shows that General Lyon was indeed assigned to Ft. Yuma when he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Here is one source:

Hylan B. Lyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 04:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
TerryR

Mana: 

Texas Defender wrote:
TerryR-

A simple search shows that General Lyon was indeed assigned to Ft. Yuma when he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Actually, it doesn't. That's yet another paraphrasing of the same book, but in this case the person who posted it came to the same conclusion I did, that "Huyma" was probably a mis-spelling of "Yuma." There is no new information in that article, except what I added this morning about Lyon's third wife.

Terry

Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

TerryR-

I don't know what: "New" information you're expecting to find. Your question was: "Doesn't it seem likely that's where he was stationed?" (Meaning Ft. Yuma).

The answer to your question is: "Yes, it does." Perhaps I should have limited my answer to that. At any rate, there are various sources that make the same conclusion. Here is a collection of his papers along with a bio that says that he was stationed there.

Hylan B. Lyon Papers

Last edited on Tue May 20th, 2014 09:27 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2014 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TerryR

Mana: 

I was hoping to find information from a different source - not yet another copy of the same source.

Your second link seems to provide that - it is obviously from different sources, including apparently some of his correspondence. Thanks.

Terry

Current time is 12:02 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2222 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.