Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Wounded Civil War veterans in Wyoming, 1883 - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 02:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Widow

Mana: 

Howdy from NoVa,

My home town, Laramie, Wyoming, is the seat of Albany County.  There is a list of Civil War veterans and widows in Albany County who were receiving pensions in 1883.  Even if you're not researching genealogy, this tiny glimpse into the past might be thought-provoking.

A good many veterans came west after the war, looking to start over.  Maybe to get away from all the difficulties back east, maybe to find work on the Union Pacific or in the coal mines, maybe to try cowboying.  Some of the old-timers I knew in Laramie may have been the grandsons of veterans.

One of the widows was Elizabeth Wheeler.  I have no idea if she was related to my husband's family.  If she was, it would have been a very distant connection to the Wheelers of Peoria, Illinois.

Patty

I don't know how to make this work as a link, so you can copy and paste in your search bar.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wyalbany/pens.htm

Albany County Civil War Pensioners 1883

Source: List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; giving the name of each pensioner, the cause for which pensioned, the post-office address, the rate of pension per month, and the date of original allowance, as called for by Senate Resolution of December 8, 1882. Vol. IV, page 858.

Last edited on Wed Nov 8th, 2006 02:24 pm by Widow

Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 05:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

So you're from Wyoming?  Thanks for the post.  I was born in Lander.  I have lots of family in the Riverton and Star Valley area.  The names on your pension list didn't ring a bell with me.  So do you go back to Wyo often?  I have a soft spot in my heart for the place.  This is where my love for the Civil War began.  I lived in Casper and spent much time at Ft. Casper and Ft. Laramie.  These are small little dots on the map, I know but I learned a lot from my time spent there.  I'm new to this board and so far enjoying it.  I think you are new too.  You seem very smart.  Anywho, sorry to wander off the subject.  It's just nice to chat with other folk with the same interests.  I'm sure you are familiar with that "glazed over" look people give you when they are totally uninterested.  Who knows, maybe you have that glazed look right now.

Fuller

Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 05:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fuller, a glazed-over expression?  Never!  Intense interest, more likely.

You're from Lander and learned more about Civil War and frontier Army history than I did.  I've never visited either Fort Casper or Fort Laramie, and now I regret it.

In 1962 I left Laramie the day after my last final exam at the university (I lived at home while attending UW).  My major was international affairs with 3 foreign languages, so there wasn't any future for me in the Cowboy State.  I visited the folks while they still lived there, but they left in 1970.  In 1992 my husband and I went there, just to show him the house, the school, etc.  It was November, cold, dry, windy, and we weren't used to the altitude.  My eyes saw the beauty there.  His eyes were glazed over.  That's probably my last trip to Laramie.

I've got battlefields to visit!  Patty

Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

During the American Civil War in Wyoming, the US army had troubles with Indians, not rebels.  If you are truly interested, I can direct you to some sites concerning this.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/fola/history/pary1-10.htm

Scroll down to "Platte bridge Station/FortCasper" to look @...http://www.fortcasperwyoming.com/outreach.asp

No major civil war battles here, I know but still interesting to study

Fuller

Current time is 02:32 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2957 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.