Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Total Authenticity? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 6th, 2005 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
george franks

Mana: 

Civil War living history has evolved from shooting Civil War arms (the N-SSA was founded in 1950 and thrives today still), to reenacting during the Centennial (and these continued at a large scale on major anniversaries) to "living history" and historical impressions.

Are there any groups that do events just for themselves - not for tourists or historic sites?  While I am totally for historic preservation and also for educating the public about what the Civil War soldier was really like - I think it would be great to be off away from the 21st century for a weekend (or more) and eat, sleep, march, and fight (short of the bullets and blood needless to say) just like the soldiers of 1861-1865?

Where can I find like minded folks?

George Franks

Posted: Fri Oct 7th, 2005 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Yes, there are things we reenactors do just for ourselves....no public....They're called "Tacticals". We have one scheduled for May 2006.

I've not yet been to one, so this will be my first. As I understand, the 2 armies will fight it out....no script. At this one, the distance between the two lines will start at a mile.....My pards tell me this is the most realistic thing we do, and it's possible to "go through a window" and for an instant, actually feel like you're in the 1860's and some enemy soldier is trying to kill you.....

I am looking forward to it....

Posted: Mon Oct 10th, 2005 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Harry

Mana: 

George, the event we run in Key West does take place at an historic structure and the public is invited. However, we run a patrol skirmish that is totally not scripted. As the coordinator of the event, I explain the scenario to the opposing commanders the day before it happens--the CSA has landed some troops by boat, a federal patrol is dispatched out of the fort to investigate. The "winner" of the skirmish depends on the commander and his tactics. Neither side knows what the other is up to (unless there's some espionage underway!). Come visit us in February and have some fun!

Harry

Current time is 06:51 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1408 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 24 queries executed.