Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Saw 4 - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2007 04:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Has anyone watched any of the Saw movies yet. My mom and me watched the first three and cant wait to see Saw 4. Luckly for us it comes out today so hopefully we'll go see it this weekend. I like these movie because the are kinda scary and kinda freaky. What do ya'll think?

Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2007 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Such movies hold no attraction for me, but then, I'm not young and I get enthusiastic about very few movies. Even when we do, we rarely go. Maybe this weekend we'll try again to see "Elizabeth." Maybe not.

When you get older, you'll appreciate that your mom took the time and the trouble. You're lucky.

ole

Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2007 08:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
booklover

Mana: 

I never saw Saw 1 2 or 3 and know I won't see Saw 4.

See?

Best
Rob

Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2007 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Hi Dixie Girl.  Welcome to the board.  I think maybe it's because Halloween is near and that is always a good time to watch a scary movie.  I haven't seen any of the Saw movies myself.  I'm not into that type of gore. (only the war type ha!) A favorite Halloween movie for me is the old George C. Scott, "The Changeling."  Creepy. 

Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2007 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Hi Dixie Gal.  I too have never seen the other Saw movies nor do I plan on seeing a Saw movie.  I have also not see Charlie, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street or Texas Chainsaw Murder .   I personally don't care for this genre of movies . 

Give me a good western or an old WW2 war movie  those have my kind of violence .  Wait, did I say my kind of violence?   What a horrible thought

I also like a good suspenseful mystery movie.  There was one with I think Al Pacino more than 10 years ago where is is searching for a killer in a hallway .  You are right there in the hallway with him it feels like.  As the tension built I was getting more and more into the scene.  All of a sudden he scared up a flock of pigeons who rose in the air with alot of wing flapping noise.  i jumped in my seat so high my friend said she thought I was going to land on the other side of her.  Now that kind of movie I like. 

War movies have to be dated before `1900 anymore for me to see them since I saw Platoon.  I reacted to it so violently I almost broke my boyfriends hand .  I did cut off all the circulation in it .  I started twitching and jerking my head around to not watch the screen so much he reached for my hand to calm me down.  Later in the movie he tried to take his hand back , he had no circulation in it anymore.  It took three or four tugs of his hand to make realize he was trying get me to release it .   The movie was too close to home.  I had lost a friend in Vietnam the first date they flashed on the screen.  Then the main character at one point says a line that came right out of a letter from a friend that later did make it home all in one piece physically but not emotionally.  He had been a medic in country.  I did go to one more thinking it would be about the vets after the war not realizing it had battle scenes in it.  Born on rhe 4th of July.  That movie I had to leave suddenly as my brother was mubbling , it's too real , it's too real as his wife was getting him out of his seat and we were walking him up the aisle to leave , He made it to the lobby where he threw up .  Only then did his eyes become focused again.  The young man in the lobby I yelled at for help said "this happened alot to the men who were alive when the movie took place"  That is a direct quote by the way. .I stopped going to war movies except like I said ones about wars before 1900. 

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 12:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

My mama and me went and saw it yesterday. It was really cool and there was some stuff left out so there has to be a Saw 5. I have seen some of the Halloween movies, Texas Chainsaw Murder, Jason verses Freddie, and some of the Nightmare on Elm Street. I have never heard of Charlie but I have seen Chuckie. I really hate the Chuckie movies cause they are really stupid. I like WWII movies also. My favorite one is Saving Private Ryan with Tom Hanks in it. Now dont go thinking I only watch movie that are just about murder. I like any movie with Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, and George Clooney in them.

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

My mistake since I don't watch slasher movies it was Chuckie . WW2 movies I am talking about are the ones that came out in the 40's and 50's .   Last WW2 movie I saw  was The Longest Day. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 01:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Saw is just to dark for me, but that is why they make different kind of movies.

Susan... have you seen any of the "Band of Brothers" HBO series produced by Hanks is well done but you might want to catch it on History channel sometime it is bloody in the uncut HBO version.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 10:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Younglobo I have not seen them.  I have not seen any of the modern world war 2 movies or anything after that. 

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My son, in his early thirties, has seen every one of the "Saw" series and "Texas Chain Saw" series, etc. I simply can't stand that genre and have never understood why my son enjoys that dreadful violence so much. The closest I have come to watching similar movies is the first "Exorcist." I did see the first "amityville Horror" and I was so scared that I couldn't be alone for a couple of days and nights.

Give me a good gangster movie for my thrills. Just saw "American Gangster" today with Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe. This is based on  actual events. The movie lasts nearly three hours, but it is tense and gripping all the way through. This is one of the rare movies in which  Denzel Washington is the "bad" guy.

I guess if there is violence in a movie, it has to be a true story in order for me to see it.

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 02:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I saw Russell Crowe interviewed the other night. It does look like a good movie.

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

my wife says unless there is history or gunplay in a movie im not interested she is basically right but i do like some date movies like one of my favorites "for love of the game" staring Kevin Costner course she says that has sports in it so it dont count LOL.

Posted: Mon Nov 12th, 2007 12:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Just saw the movie "Before the Devil Knows You Are Dead" directed by Sydney Lumet and starring Oscar winner Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney and Oscar winner Marisa Tomei.

This is one heck of a good movie. It is so suspenseful I was quite tired by the end, because I couldn't relax. Even though you know what happened because it is shown early in the movie, flashbacks keep going back but showing a little bit more each time. There are many twists and turns to the story. There is no one of strong character to be a hero and step in to rescue the main players from themselves.

Basically, these two brothers (Hoffman and Hawke) are having money troubles, so Hoffman conceives a twisted plot to rob his own parents' jewelry store and fence the jewels. He believes insurance will pay the parents for their loss, making the robbery a "victimless" crime. Of course, everything goes horribly wrong.

The plot calls to mind "Fargo" another of my favorite "clever scheme to earn money gone wrong" movies. It also reminded me of "The Incredible Mr. Ripley", not just because Hoffman appeared in that movie too, but because of the similar story about how lies and deception drag one in deeper and deeper as unrelentingly as quicksand. 

I love movies like that that keep you interested from the first minute to the last.

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2007 02:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
David White

Mana: 

Cleburne:

So is it more like Fargo or Ripley because in my mind you've told me it's like a really good movie and a really bad one (I hated Ripley and just about fell asleep watching it)?

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2007 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Honestly, it has elements of both, most especially the suspence and the tension as you watch two men who are drawn deeper  and deeper into a terrible situation of their own making. They make desperate choices in an effort to extract themsleves from their mess, but they seem to know they are in over their heads.

I liked both Mr Ripley and Fargo. There was a sequel to Mr. Ripley called "Ripley's Game" released in 2002. John Malkovich played the much older Ripley that Matt Damon played as a younger man. You probably don't really care anyway if you did not enjoy the first one.

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2007 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Sorry, double post.:?

Last edited on Wed Nov 14th, 2007 09:36 pm by CleburneFan

Current time is 02:27 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5660 seconds (32% database + 68% PHP). 25 queries executed.