Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > A Low Fact History of The American Civil War

A Low Fact History of The American Civil War - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 03:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I've been looking for an on-line copy of this for awhile, think it's a hoot!  While the original link no longer exists, I found it re-printed in another forum - here's the link.

http://www.1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?s=2814b2b7e82e65a8e4e6c955d452b8c7&t=3455

If you feel like laughing, take a few minutes to read it.  I recall a comment in there a bout West Virginia being the only Confederate state in existence today that made me laugh our loud....

Last edited on Thu Dec 13th, 2007 03:50 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 04:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Confederate patroitism doesnt exist in just one Southern State. It exists all over the South. There are a lot of states that want to go back to the ways of the old South. If one does I will support it 100 percent. Many might think that I am wrong but that is just the way I am

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 04:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

There are a lot of states that want to go back to the ways of the old South. If one does I will support it 100 percent.

Could you just for discussion sake list the ways of the Old South you would want to go back to? 

Susan

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 06:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Plantations for a start. Very few gangs like we have today, gentlemen. A lot of the guys we have today wear their pants down to their ankles and think they have the write to beat women. People today only think about me, me, me. Back then people were actually willing to help others who were down on their luck and would help any way they could. Nobody helps anybody any more. Thats only a few of my reasons.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

But there were many gangs -- plowing gangs, harrowing gangs, hoeing gangs, seeding gangs, clearing gangs. And chain gangs.

ole

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I'm for chain-gangs.....

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

But there were many gangs -- plowing gangs, harrowing gangs, hoeing gangs, seeding gangs, clearing gangs.

I know that after 3 months underwater, I used to really enjoy hanging around with the hoeing-gang. There was this one time in New London when.... oh, nevermind, I just noticed your spelling....:cool:

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

What are your references that cite that people were more caring on the plantations than they are today?  Who would run the plantations today?  How many people actually lived on plantations back then , how many lived on small farms or up in the hollows scratching out a living ?How many lived in towns? 

Very few gangs like we have today?  hmm ever heard of Jesse James, Cole Yoonger, The Daltons, the Doolans, The Baldnobbers to name a few.  You think gangs today are violent?  Read about some of these gangs. 

Men today think they have a right to beat women? Women in the 19th century  were considered their husbands personal property.  He could divorce her and the children became his legally not hers.  If he died he could leave his personal property to someone else not his wife and usually did. 

You want to read what it was really like especially for women pick up any book by Catherine Clinton.  Tara Revisited is one ,subtitled WomenWar and Plantation Legions revisited

Any of the many books by Catherine Clinton would also be good to read to see what life for women was really like. 

As to people helping each other , some did some didn't , today some do, some don't , depends on who they are , and where they are , same as it was back then.

What other ways of the Old South would you like to go back to?  How about Yellow Fever.  It ran though the plantations like wildfire.  

Many women working in the fields with their husband, those that did not own plantations  were soon aged beyond their years.  Many died in childbirth with no help except their family to deliever the child. Or they died of infections after giving birth because of the sanitary conditons.   Many large southern families lost several children before they reached the age of maturity . 

Just a few things to think about.  As for me I will stick with the 20th Century .

Susan

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Joe, Albert and Ole , LOL  that was great.  I am trying to be serious about the subject and you three cracked me up. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

...heehee....I'm bad!....Hard for me to take too many things serious, or so my wife says!!

But, seriously folks, Susan, you make some excellent points. It goes to show that life, no matter at which point in history, has it's bad points.

I would go back to the 1800's though, because "life" was "simpler": no stupid video games, instead, families learned musical instruments or in other ways spent time together. No stupid TV shows....A higher sense of morals (which I won't go into detail about, so as not to offend)....AH HA!!....no political correctness, neither!!.....(in re morals: no one had to vote to define marriage).....

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Albert , I agree with some of you points about simpler life . But higher morals?  hmmm prostitution was allowed in many places.  Women had no rights especially if they were married.   Many women especially were addicted to Laudinum  including Mary Chesnut .  Might have been better times for men ,but not for women.

Susan

found the other two books I was looking for .  David Freeman Hawke, Everyday Life in Early America.

Within the Plantation Household Back& White Women of the Old South

Elizabeth Fox-Genovese

Joanie I think I have hijacked your thread sorry.  Joe if you want to move this to a new thread it is okay.

Susan

Last edited on Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:11 pm by susansweet

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I wouldnt mind life back then. It was simple and wasnt as fast. People took the time tho spend with their families. Most people dont do that any more. There are things I like about this time period and the 1860's. From this time period I like indoor plumbing and central heating and air . From the 1860's I like everything else. As for womens rights I would have had my say no matter what any body else said. I'm not about to let any body run me.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Dixie,

I fear you may have an over-romanticized view of the "old south". I mean no dis-respect saying that, but you're stating some rather contradictory things. Susan make some great points. You cannot say you prefer the old south way and still say "As for womens rights I would have had my say no matter what any body else said. I'm not about to let any body run me." I'm afraid that was the culture of the times, and you would have either accepted it or been treated as a leper. As a matter of fact, in that regard, the "old north" wasn't much better.

Also, I'm not sure your assertion that "People took the time tho spend with their families." can be ascribed to a particular time or place. It's a personal priority that has unfortunately changed over the years, but one that every individual in the 21st-century can change whenever they want to.

Some years ago, I wrote an editorial which included a story of my grandfather and me. He was born in the 1880's. As a youngster , the fact that he remembered a time without cars just amazed me. I, like many young people, had a glorious view of life "back then". When I was 6 or 7, I sat in his lap, looked at him and asked him to tell me how it really was back in those days. Of course, I fully expected to be wooed by tales of glorious chivalry and a more peaceful time. Instead he looked me straight in the eye and said "...it was hot as hell and smelled like like horse shit." The fact that he never cussed made that statement stick in my mind all these years, and it also affected how I look at history.

Yesterday ALWAYS looks better than today. Usually, it's not true. Sorry if I bored you with this little diatribe....

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Uh, Susan- its the 21st Century.  ;)

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

You didnt bore me with that tale. I dont have a over romanticized view of the old South. Its just the way I am. I am proud and opionated and kinda stubborn and hardheaded. I generally tend to act before I think and I think that really would have helped me back then. I might have been treated like a leper but I have strong thoughts and opions. Besides that didnt stop Scarlet O'Hara.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I agree with Javal about yesterday being brighter.

Why, I can remember 10 years ago my saying how lousy things were....I lived alone, had no family, was lonely,.....complained about the price of gas, groceries, etc.....Now, looking back, those years of 10 years ago were really fun!...I was single, did what I wanted, had fun with my beer-drinkin' buddies, paid a dollar ten for gas.....Today, I pretty much still gripe about gas, can't do what I want all the time without making sure my family doesn't have other plans.....10 years from now, I'll wish my son were still 6 instead of 16 and wanting to borow the car and burn my gas at $13.67 a gallon!!.......hmmmm.....

I guess we tend to forget the "bad" parts of life from years gone by, we look at those times with nostalgia and remember the fun times most fondly!

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Susan,

Higher morals in the sense that more people went to church, albeit perhaps more for social reasons than religious conviction. More often, a woman and man married if  a child were to be born out of wedlock (maybe NOT a good thing, but they did it to avoid stigma for both their sake and the sake of the child).

Higher morals because the definition of marriage did not have to be voted on, nor was it an issue for State legislators.

People weren't so ready to steal or rob stores, banks, etc (the James/Youngers, Daltons, and the like are the excetion). Everyday, I read where some goof robbed the local gas station, or shot up a mall or college. Back then, robberies were not the norm that they virtually are today.

Higher morals in the sense that people made their own way, without having to depend on the Welfare state (I work in that arena, so I see it everyday.....Truely, you really CAN'T give some people a job)....

In reality, the bottom line is exaclty what Gus McCrae said in "Lonesome Dove": "Life is just life"....

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Wowser, Dixie!

I sure wish that I had had the kind of strength, confidence, backbone, and self-knowledge at your age that you have now.  I did have articulateness, as you do, but not rest, I don't think!

You are holding your own with people, what, 10-15 times your own age, LOL? (You're about 14 right?)

Anyway, wonder if anyone has even looked at the low-fact history - it is a bit long, starts slow, but once you get into it, genuinely funny.  The shot at W. VA poked fun at the fact that W. VA  people created a new state in order to side with the North during the CW, but it's natives are now the bastion of Southern pride - and, as I recall,  it was well-done, indeed.

Joanie

Last edited on Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:13 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Thanks Joanie I appreciate that. Some of my family have some of these qualites but I got if all. I am willing to assert my opion as I feel needed.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

...heehee...I take umberage at being labled as 10-15 times older than a 14 year old!!....In reality, I'm only 42, not 140!!....,  even if my scruffy beard says otherwise!!

Current time is 07:02 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > A Low Fact History of The American Civil War

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4381 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.