Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

20th Georgia - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 02:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

I would have got this one finished much earlier if it wasn't for the distraction of cwi :D

Roger

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Roger; once again outstanding work. My only complaints, and they are so minor as to almost not bear mention. I can't quite make out the detail on the canteen is it supposed to be a wood or tin drum? Just one of those annoying minor details.

I may be wrong but the cap pouch seems too large and he's missing his bayonet. Again who's to say he didn't toss the damn thing. Rifle musket makes a better club than a spear anyway.

The particular detail that I really like is his right ankle, appears to be skinned. All together another outstanding mini by the resident artist of CWI.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 06:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Johan, Thank you. The canteen is tin. It was very heavily washed with black to take the shine off it and make it look more real. I used the examples in Eches of Glory as ref.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the cap pouch and blame the sculptor:D

The bayonet...... as an ex modeller you'll be able to relate to this I think. Yes, he had one, I bet you can guess the rest. I snapped it in half, glued it back together and then snapped it again, this time in two places. Sound familiar?

He's got a few cuts on his his feet and legs not very visible on these pics. It was the bare feet and skinnyness of this figure which attracted me to it and also prompted my question here about shoeless soldiers. I've seen a couple of these painted by other people and what stood out for me was niether had dirty feet or any cuts or scrapes.

Again thanks for the comments and please continue to offer critique it really is useful and I appreciate it.

Roger

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Roger, another wonderful soldier to look at .  Thanks for sharing with us again.

Keep them coming .  They are so special.

Susan

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you Susan, I'm glad you like seeing them.

Roger

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 10:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I echo Susan exactly.

Really awesome, Roger.  You are a true talent.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 11:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you Joanie.

Some more pics, hopefully the canteen looks like it's supposed to, made of tin.

Also some detail of the feet, I must be daft taking photo's this close it shows every flaw:shock:

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 02:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Roger, that last pic gives me the view of the canteen, looks like one to me. You do what those who have seen equipment & men in the field need to do; you show the wear, tear and abuse. So many minis I have seen over the years lack that. More often than not they look like they just stepped off a parade ground w/ equipment right out of the factory. When in reality it doesn't take long for that factory & garrison fresh look to disapear altogether. Pretty but not real.

When I first started w/ minis there was an elderly gent on my paper route who had an enormous train set in his house. He was widowed in a rambling 1 story house he had his bedroom & kitchen the rest of the house had been taken over by an enormous HO scale 1930's era train set/cityscape & rural scene. He'd been one of those men in a caboose for better than forty years and been everywhere the tracks went. He'd retired in the late 70's. His comment about "Nothing is new once it leaves the factory yard; nothing hides from mother nature." Has stuck w/ me since. All of his train cars & engines were weathered; some more substantially than others. He taught me how to weather a model using inkwashes, drybrushing & chalk dust. His critiques of my first tanks & those Tamiya gun crews have always stuck w/ me. He is the reason my first diorama won a purple ribbon. A WW2 diorama w/ Pak 40 & crew in a prepared position. It's long destroyed by one of a score of moves but its the diorama I'm most proud of. That fine old gent helped me build it.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 02:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Roger

Mana: 

I actually find it easier, as well as more realistic to paint an object looking old, worn and abused. I would put it down to an enormous amount of studying and observation of things in the day to day world. For example noticing where the mud is spattered on your own clothing after walking the dog, stuff like that.

If you like weathering here's some photo's of one of my favourite figures I've done. A German WWI infantryman photographed against a photo from a book.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

This guy is listening intently. He's gonna know if theres a Yank around

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Roger.. that is the best yet man the detail , but I still want to see one of a trooper on horseback PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you. To tell the truth mounted civil war figures are pretty rare.........

and expensive. I'd like to do one myself and because you said please so many times I'll see what I can do. Would any mountd figure do for now?:D

Roger

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Well of course as long as he is on a horse now that soilderin LOL, who wants to walk when you could ride.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Roger

Mana: 

No problem, Polish Winged Hussar 17th Century.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Bavarian Heavy Horse c.1900

Attachment: post-280-1164811718.jpg (Downloaded 40 times)

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 01:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Roger at the Marching though History at Fort MacArthur here in Southern California each year there is a Winged Hussar that has his site across from our Civil War Drum Barracks booth.  We spent the first day trying to figure out what he was finally of course going over and picking up information.  It's great to see what they would have looked like on horse back.  This gentleman had the feather harness and the yellow boots just like your figure.  His yellow boots were so interesting to see but the feathers was what caught everyone's attention.

Susan

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 05:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Susan, I might even have used photo's of your Hussar as reference.

Here are some Polish Hussar links you might find interesting.

http://www.geocities.com/rik_fox/husaria/index2.html
http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm
http://www.polishhussarsupply.com/
http://www.husaria.jest.pl/index.html

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 06:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Roger check this website out.  The guy that does the photos is really good .  I run into him and his brother at most events.  Many of these events I have attended over the years.  You will see what the Drum Barracks looks like too.  The winged Hussar might be in the Marching though time section of pictures .

http://www.relivinghistory.net/

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 06:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you for that link Susan. Photo's of reenactors/living historians are very useful for me. Much more so than illustrations in books.
I have another Winged Hussar lined up actually, a flat this time but at the moment I'm having difficulty deciding which figure to paint next.

Roger

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 06:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I was just looking at the website.  It's so good.  I see many of my friends in pictures.  I am in one .  Hispanics in the Civil War group picture on the steps of the Drum .  Not my best picture. 

Enjoy the pictures I thought you might be able to use some of the pictures . They cover all periods of history and there are two good winged hussar pictures with those yellow boots.

Susan

Current time is 12:35 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3389 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 25 queries executed.