Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

4 interpretations of TWBTS - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Jun 12th, 2008 10:02 pm

2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

I have not gotten around to reading the various theories about 'the cause' of the war.  I have several books on the subject that I have just not had the time to read yet.  From what little I know of it, it sounds to me like a silly argument trying to come up with one explanation or theory.  Consequently, I think Jarvis' article is just more 'noise' on the subject. 

However, I think the role of the north in the institution of slavery does need to be more forward.  Entries from my family genealogy book regarding a couple of relatives from Connecticut show one's foundry was bankrupted by the war and another earlier relative was a "pioneer cotton manufacturer".  My southern paternal line lost a plantation in Mississippi as well.  Both sides of my family were up to their eyeballs in the 'peculiar institution' in their various ways.

izzy

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 01:21 am

4th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Yes I read the whole thing.  I think you can roll all of them together and then some.  Every era is going to elevate its own spin to the detriment of other interpretations.  Jarvis's southern spin is evident.  I was just putting my family background out there to show that northern spin has its bias too.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 01:58 am

5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Goin' with izzy, except that Jarvis' southern spin is more than evident: it the same pap chewed up and regurgitated.

ole

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 03:49 am

7th Post
ole

Mana: 

I didn't see any northern spin in the essay. If I had, I would say so. Don't like spin in any form. And when did Abe become a saint?

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 01:01 pm

8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Bama, I see often the title Saint Abraham, not usually from people on the historical accuracy side of the aisle. I can't think of anyone on this site, or any I frequent for that matter, who would saint Abe Lincoln. I certainly wouldn't and I doubt Ole would either.

Those on the Lew Rockwell site, like Dilorenzo and others couldn't research the way out of a wet bag. Instead they make up things on the fly that make history fit their agenda. I can't say as I've seen anything from the Lew Rockwell site w/out an anti-US agenda. Yes, I said anti-US as that is what I meant. There is a modern political bend to the site; and pride in this country, her military, her people and her open society have nothing to do with it. Instead what I see consistently is shrill & bitter hatred for everything US that extends from the ACW to the modern era.

Because of my experiance looking around that site, tracking back info and sometimes the people who post it I've long ago given up on the Lew Rockwell site. It's too full of distortion and outright dishonesty for my taste. I admit dismay when people I know to be intelligent get snagged by the writings on the site, and I feel worse when they start citing garbage from there believing it to be legitimate honest research.

I don't know Gail Jarvis's essay and doubt I'll read it. What little time I have on the net is too precious to read something I suspect will just be thinly veiled anti US crap.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 02:38 pm

10th Post
David White

Mana: 

Lincoln was evil and it was all about the tariffs.

Can we kill this thread now?

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 02:43 pm

11th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I'm getting the h*ll out of this shooting match!

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 04:21 pm

13th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

There is ample criticism of Lincoln, scores of books about how evil he was, how badc, books claiming he was gay, wa sa philanderer et. Some legit some invention. Lincoln isn't my hero, no politician ever has been and i doubt ever will be. I don't know any serious CW historian willing to cannonize the man. He was a man w/ all the folly and triumph that entails.

Whatever th subject I give the Lew Rockwell site no credibility.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 06:26 pm

14th Post
David White

Mana: 

Criticize all you want Bama but don't use the revisionist history from Lew Rockwell and company. Find the writings from the people of the 1860s that back Rockwell's position in more than just a few cherry-picked passages and we'll have a good and honest discussion.

Didn't mean to come out so harsh earlier but these Rockwell discussions seldom come to more than hurt feelings and anger. No one ever convinces the other of the correctness of their views.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 07:56 pm

16th Post
ole

Mana: 

Yes, in the general public Lincoln is overly lionized, but we are studying history (don't guess too many of could be called historians) on these boards. We ought to know better.

St. Lincoln is an invention of revisionist, resentful, southern sympathizers who, finding little legitimate reasons to attack the man's work and his many mistakes, attack his legacy and those who study and admire him. (I don't consider you among that bunch, by the way; I give you more credit than that.)

History was what it was. Facts remain the same; interpretation of those facts do not. I think I know pretty much what Lincoln was thinking (having been reading him off and on for nearly 50 years), but now and then someone comes up with an interpretation of a factual action that bumps me off my self-assigned pedestal. Saint Lincoln isn't one of them.

ole

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 07:58 pm

17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Never could resist beating the deceased equine.

ole

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 09:25 pm

18th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Cmon guys, horse doesn't taste that bad, a bit greasy but not THAT bad. The more you beat on it the more tendor it gets.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 09:55 pm

19th Post
David White

Mana: 

Johan:

You is an ignoramus, he said beating not eating ;)

Last edited on Fri Jun 13th, 2008 09:55 pm by David White

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 12:31 am

20th Post
ole

Mana: 

But if beating is a prelude to eating ...... Nevermind. I couldn't eat a dog either.

ole

Current time is 08:32 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3876 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 31 queries executed.