Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

GAR medal - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 06:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear All,

Years ago, a friend gave me a GAR membership pin consisting of a bronze-trimmed pin iwth a navy background and what looks like an eagle "bird," connected to a star GAR member medal, by torn red and white striped ribbon.

Can anyone tell me more about this pin, especially the significance of the "bird". I've read that different insignia on the pin designates rank, but this is not the current Col. "bird".

Also did everyone have this medal, or was it issued for a special occasion such as a national convention?

All help will be appreciated.

CKL

Posted: Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 07:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

CKL-

There were a bewildering number of GAR medals made. Perhaps from what you described you have one from a GAR staff officer. Pictures of those at national and state level are shown on the link below.

MEMBERSHIP BADGES OF THE GAR

Posted: Thu Jul 3rd, 2008 06:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear Tex,

Thanks!! And you hit the jackpot. My pin is the one featured, of a national staff officer. Once I was informed about ranks, I knew the old eagle had to be important, although it's really the gold border that signifies national.

I guess I won't do any harm by keeping the pin and medal separate, although I've been told you can get the ribbon replaced. I can hardly move the pin, so to wear it, I'd have to replace it which would ruin any value. I checked on E-bay, and it seems the pin would be in the $35-50 range of value. Not bad, for getting it free.

I also have a small collection of WWII sweetheart jewelry--pins, pendants, and rings that wives and girlfriends had made to signify the services their husbands or boyfriends were in. And I have a couple of good and rare pieces--like a quaint USCG heart pendant.

So now I wear my GAR medal on a silk rope as a pendant. too.  My CW sweetheart pendant.

When I talk on WWII I wear my sweetheart jewelry; when I talk on my CW books, I wear my GAR. But someday, like author Tom Wolfe, I want to wear a white linen dress or suit (which is what he always wears) to signify the Southern Belle heritage of my heroine, Anna Ella Carroll. And when I win the lottery, I'll be sailing on the QEII, too!

Thanks again

CKL

Posted: Thu Jul 3rd, 2008 06:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

CKL   Interesting about your GAR medal.  I am a DOB  daughter of both .  Member of both Daughters organizations.  The Daughters of Union Vets I belong to was organized a couple of years ago and I am a charter member.  We were given a set of officers pins from a tent that was deactivated many years ago.  We kept discussing what to do with the pins.  At first we had them in a case that was brought to meetings and kept by the president.  Last meeting we decided to give the pins to the officers to wear.  I am now , as long as I am Junior Vice President , the owner of a lovely old Daughters pin with it's orginal ribbon even on it .   I too would love to have an Edwardian suit to wear to special events like I see in pictures of the Daughters at the turn of the last century.  Hopefully I can have one made in the future.  I would also love to have a white linen suit  Edwardian style

Susan

Current time is 11:40 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1457 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 24 queries executed.