Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Question about Reenactor Ranks - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I was at the Remembrance Day Parade in Gettysburg on Saturday. I thought because it was REALLY cold (about 35 degrees plus wind--there were snow showers in the middle of it!) it would be a short parade, but was pleasantly surprised to see so many reenactors in it. My hat is off to those who marched--I was wearing long johns and a parka, and was STILL cold!

Anyway, watching the parade made me wonder about something that I, not being very knowledgeable about the world of reenacting, can't answer: how do reenactors get the rank they have? I saw what looked like rank stripes, as well as some medals, and was wondering how a reenactor earns these. Is it based on the ranks of the soldier you are portraying, or one what you do within your unit? Anyone with reenacting experience, or knowledge about this, can you set me straight?

Thanks!

Pam

Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
OVVI

Mana: 

The hobby of CW reenacting is one without agreed national standards or governing bodies.  Therefore, any participant can buy and portray whatever rank they choose as their impression.  Some units (which are really clubs) rely on a merit system where one earns higher rank but this is far from universal.

The display of medals by reenactors is usually either gifts for attending reenactments or in more cases membership and office medals of the SUVCW (Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War). 

Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

That is quite a complex question. A lot depends upon the organization. The SUVCW & SCV have completely different standards for ranks than most reenactor units. Some units hold elections, others have tests, others still just say "I'm gonna be a Sgt this week.

As an example in the SUVCW I am a Private, in my Living History unit I wear a set of Corporal stripes earned through involvement and participation. I was offered a set of Sgt stripes but turned it down and put them forward to someone else who I thought needed those stripes on his sleeve more than I.Frankly, his command of drill was/is far superior to mine.

As another example I saw a Cav unit arranged their ranks thus. "I created the unit, I'm the Captain. Bob you have a four horse trailer and the ability to haul it, you're the First Sgt. Mike, you know the war was actually from 1861-65 and like to do research; you're the Second Sgt. Everybody else is a Private."

Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

The medals you saw were, for the most part, SUV membership and SVR membership medals. I wear both because I belong to both. I also wear a ribbon/medal combo that I was given when I participated in the Delaware Monument Dedication some five years ago. You probably saw some of my SUV brethren wearing a medal for almost every office they ever held (ex.: Membership, Camp Commander, Past Camp Commander, Department Commander, Past Dept. Commander and on and on). Actually, they are only supposed to wear the medal of their highest rank and their membership medal. But, in parades, some of us really like to "put on the fop."

Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

All ranks in the group/organisation I'm in are elected. I was disappointed that we made no attempt to re-enact treating the voters, but never mind. Those holding rank are, however, expected to demote themselves when necessary to keep the numbers balanced.

Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 09:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Im a member of the MCWRA Missouri Civil War Reenactors Assoc.  and Shelbys 5th MO Cav.

We elect our officers from the troop.

But sadly I have heard and seen some of what Johan describes also .

Last edited on Mon Nov 24th, 2008 09:09 pm by younglobo

Current time is 04:53 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3283 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 24 queries executed.