Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

NFL Coaches/Civil War Generals - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 18th, 2009 11:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Hi, folks.

As I watch NFL coaches, I see ways in which they resemble Civil War generals and football games resemble mini-battles.

Just curious, football fans.  Which current or past NFL coaches remind you of Lee or Jackson, Grant or Sherman or maybe McClellan? I'm referring to personality and coaching style and how that might resemble any famous Civil War coach.

Perhaps phrasing it another way. Does any NFL coach remind you of Lee or Grant, Jackson or Sherman or some other Civil War general?

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 03:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Andy Reid reminds of McClellan the most, I guess.
Great Preparation...
Offensive Potential...
Will not commit all his troops (ie-does not utilize the run enough)...
Wonderful Defense...
Cannot deliver in "The Show"

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 06:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

First thing I thought of was that Vince Lomardi's style was similar to that of U.S. Grant -- the second effort and all that.

Ole

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 06:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Back in the good old days, when the Vikings played outside, they had a coach named Bud Grant. He was tough, and expected his players to be tough. I think in my mind, his style would also compare to Grant's.

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Bill Parsell's coaching style and sidelines manner often reminded me of Lee. I miss him out there coaching, but he has been a blessing to the Dolphins in his current position. Dang him! He nearly left at the end of this season. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed. 

Parsells doesn't look anything like Lee, but the bearing is similar--in my mind.

Mike Ditka behaved the way I think of Stonewall Jackson.

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
TimK

Mana: 

What about Tony Dungy? A man of faith, a great leader of men, overcame personal tragedy (the suicide of his son), and became the first man of color to win the Super Bowl. He never swore or raised his voice (at least according to reports). I think it would be impossible to be an NFL coach and not have an ego, but it seemed his was always in check - unlike Ditka or Parcells. Is there a CW general out there that we can compare Dungy to?

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

TimK, that is an outstanding Civil War Trivia question!

The answer would take research for me to find. But maybe we do have someone here who would know of such a general right off hand for the religious part. For the black part, I don't know of any black generals in the Civil War. Most of the Colored Troops were led by white officers.

My bet is that there were, indeed, some very religious generals who did not swear or raise their voices. Confederate General Leonidas Polk was an Episcopalian bishop. During the Atlanta Campaign he baptised some other top officers. I don't know if he ever swore. Swearing was looked down upon by many soldiers in those days.

Coach Dungy was arguably a better coach than Polk was as a general.

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

John Gruden (Tampa Bay up till a few days ago) = John Bell Hood. Never happy, always wanted more even when his troops were giving 110%.

Andy Reid = Braxton Bragg. Had great soldiers which he often misused. Played favorites even when his favorites were detrimental to the team.

Bill Bellicheck = Bill Belichick (New England) = Robert E. Lee. Take what you have, motivate them to believe in the cause and that they can beat the odds.

Current time is 12:30 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3023 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.