Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

This Day in the Civil War - Union Bias - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 17th, 2011 10:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Regulator

Mana: 

There seems to be a distict bias toward the Union side in the daily facts presented on the This Day in the Civil War page.  Virtually every entry pertains to a Union related item.  When a Confederate related item is posted, it more often than not, is wrtten with a sarcastic or dismissive tone.  You do know there was another side to the war don't you?  How about a little more fair coverage? 

And by the way, the alliteration in your titles is a bit too corny.

Posted: Thu Mar 17th, 2011 10:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

If you believe all that - there's a button marked
"This Day". Don't click it. We've been doing this for 15 years and have been accused of being biased to about everyone. Sorry we can't can't praise the side you like 100% of the time.

The corny headlines would be another reason to just learn HTML, PHP, CSS and the rest and write history the way you wish it happened. Hope you don't think any of this was meant in a sarcastic or dismissive tone.

Posted: Thu Mar 17th, 2011 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Regulator

Mana: 

Reread my post.  I didn't suggest you praise either side 100% of the time, only that you be a little more fair in the distribution of your "facts."

Thanks for your courteous reply though.  It explains a lot.

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Well, I like things the way they are just fine.....As a rule, I am a Southern sympathizer and don't see a bias and I don't look for one, either. I click on "This Day" so that I can learn more, answer a question I didn't know I had, stimulate thought or simply to say "hmmmm, that's interesting!"....Again, I don't see a bias.....only a lot of hard work and care in putting it together.....It truely is a labor of love that I, personally, appreciate. I've been comming to CWI LONG before I ever registered (started back in the '90's) and have been faithfull. I recomend this site to all my reenacting pards and anyone with an interest in Civil War!!

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 04:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Regulator, No offense intended, .....I see you only joined a day before you made your post, so I am curious as to how long you have been reading the "This Day" section and what your statistics are to say that there is a bias......i.e., how many day's worth of stories vs percentage of words, articles, etc.......

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I guess you find what you look for. I never noticed any bias in the "This Day," but it also never crossed my mind. Kinda tells me it isn't actually there...

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

I liked javal1's response, which said in my words, not his, "those who criticize should go and do better!"  It's a lot of hard work to maintain a site like this one.  It's easy to criticize.  Personally, I appreciate this site.

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 02:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

I am about as southern as they come, but ya gotta look at facts and the facts are that the CSA lost and in losing they did a lot of stupid things. It pains me to say that, but it's true and that fact means there will be bias. 'tis the human condition.
Now, bias is one thing, being malicious is another and Joe ain't!

You have chosen to ignore BradAnderson. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue May 3rd, 2011 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Get off the Nazi/Gestapo/Hitler theme. It's old. it's tired  and it's hyperbole to the extreme. Understand something - you won't get thrown off this board for being a Southern sympathizer (just ask any of those who have been here for years and not been banned). But if you ever come as close as you just did to comparing myself or my wife (who wrote the This Day headlines) to Nazi ideals, you're ass is gone.

Posted: Tue May 3rd, 2011 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BradAnderson-

Since DER SPIEGEL didn't publish its first edition until January of 1947, I doubt that it had many headlines about: "Great victories" by Hitler.

Posted: Wed May 4th, 2011 12:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

We get the point about your opinion.....It would appear, however, that the consensus here is that we're happy and appreciative of the work that goes into the This Day section as well as in operating this site.

At this point, it is my opinion that those who enjoy the This Day will continue to read it, and those who don't enjoy it should'nt read it and life should just go on, in peace, no name calling, no finger pointing. I use this site as a distraction from the rude, crazy outside wold of work, as I am sure others do....

I hope everyone here can learn something about history as well as teach it in a civil, respectful fashion.....I, for one, am here to learn.....

Posted: Wed May 4th, 2011 12:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Ok......

Posted: Wed May 4th, 2011 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BradAnderson-

As has been said many times before, a person is entitled to his own opinions (And you surely have a lot of those), but not his own facts.

Having those things that you are: "Sure of" prove inaccurate does not enhance the credibility of your opinions. Being a provocateur doesn't earn respect for them, either.

Posted: Wed May 4th, 2011 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"I demand that you either show me where I supposedly compared anything to Nazi ideals, or you're (sic) ass is gone, in terms of being just another Lincoln-shrine that suppresses all dissension and truth."

You demand nothing here. You're simply a flamer. like so many others that have come and gone. Don't read This Day, don't read CWi, nobody really gives a damn. As for your stay here, it was short and sweet.

Current time is 06:34 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4467 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 37 queries executed.