Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Recommended battles to be portrayed in novels, or movies

Recommended battles to be portrayed in novels, or movies - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

This could help me out a lot.  Which Civil War battles would best be dramatized in a historical fiction novel, short story, movie, ect?  I appreciate any responses.

Thanks, Casey

Last edited on Tue Aug 29th, 2006 11:33 pm by James Longstreet

Posted: Wed Aug 30th, 2006 03:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Tigerreb

Mana: 

Couple of questions -

Do you want to include battles that have been included in past books (Gburg, Manassas), or perhaps less known ones?

What is the book about and its setting? This could limit which battles are included

JIM Tee

Posted: Wed Aug 30th, 2006 05:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Gen.

Have a good one for you A series of battles fought by one man Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest , He is a contraversal figure so folks would be drawn to Him , plus his Bio is interesting ;

1) Uneducated man becomes a rich Planter and slave holder (millonare of his time)

2) enlists at start of war as a private rises to Gen.

as far as battles

3) Fort Donelson retreat- would make a superb movie

4) Shiloh - Retreat the story of his personal exper. that Shelby Foote describes     in "Civil War" ( PBS Series) would make a cool scene or part of a book

5) DEC 1862- JAN. 1863 Raids Grants army

6) shot by a disgruntled Subordinate whom he wounds with a penknife ( Andrew W. Gould)

7) Chickamaugha

8) west Tenn Campaign- Giving Sherman fits

9) Fort Pillow -- enough Contraversy there for a movie/book  alone

10) Brices crossroads

11) surrender

could even do him being first grand wizard of KKK but getting out because he thought it was to violent ( man that is bad if it was to violent for this man )

anyway that is my thought if you go with him do i get any percentage of the Money or a free copy :D

Michael

p.s do you know they think he died of diabetes??

and yes I am Kinda nuts on the guy like some are Lee, Jackson or JEB my wife was nervous I would want to name my son Forrest , but that stupid Tom Hanks movie Cured that couldnt let him be teased by " RUN forrest RUN " all his life

Posted: Thu Aug 31st, 2006 08:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I agree with younglobo....A movie about Forrest would be good! But, it neds to be done right, (in my opinion, historical fiction is hard to write and, consequently, hard  read, withought seeming corn-ball or hokie. Again, my opinion, "Never to Quit" by Bob Armistead, fit this category....a very hard to read/believe story).

On the other hand, "The Falling Hills" by Perry Lentz, was very well researched and very well written. A very good novel on the Battle of Ft. Pillow.

I'm just not a fan of historical fiction or "what if" fiction, so I read them very infrequently. Again, however, one that is well researched and well written is definately worth reading!

Albert Sailhorst, Scott's Battery

Posted: Thu Aug 31st, 2006 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

In response to tigerreb's post, I was leaning towards lesser portrayed battles.  Forrest, now that's a movie idea.  Forrest makes Patton look like a fairy.  I was thinking about how Donelson and Shiloh could be combined in a novel on the same scale as The Killer Angels...With Forrest, you have a lot of material to choose from, although I didn't have a biographical piece in mind.  Younglobo, I agree with the part about naming your son Forrest, haha.

I was also thinking about Pea Ridge as a historical fiction novel or movie...I mean, it has all the elements and tragedy; the lost Southern opportunity.  And Fort Stedman, the Army of Northern Virginia's last assault.

Last edited on Thu Aug 31st, 2006 09:27 pm by James Longstreet

Posted: Thu Aug 31st, 2006 09:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

James Longsterr,

HA!!...Your comparison of Forrest and Patton is funny!!....When Patton created the  U.S. Tank Corp., he utilized Forrest's tactics for tank warfare!

Albert Sailhorst, Scott's Battery

Posted: Thu Aug 31st, 2006 09:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

GEN

Pea Ridge would be a excellent on too have you ever heard the song by Cathy Barton & Dave Para on the CD "Johnny Whistletrigger and songs of the western border" forget the name of the song but is a good en on there about the battle and aftermath. Will see if I can get it or link too it.

Until then

"Get there firstest with the mostest"

Michael

Posted: Thu Aug 31st, 2006 11:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

Thanks, younglobo.  I wasn't aware of the song, but I think I saw the CD possibly at the Pea Ridge gift shop.  I was vaguely aware Patton utilized a Confederate general's tactics, but I had no idea which one.  Thanks for the information, Mr. Sailhorst.

I just thought of a great movie scene.  In the retreat from Shiloh, when Forrest's regiment charges a Yankee brigade.   Forrest charges by himself, and as he falls back, he uses a Union soldier as a human sheild; picking him up by the throat.

Last edited on Thu Aug 31st, 2006 11:24 pm by James Longstreet

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2006 12:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

Hi I had a thought: What about a novel/film about Wilson's Creek in Missouri? I recetly read a book on the battle By Hatcher and Piston and I think it would be the sourse for a good novel or film. Fort Pillow and Franklin would be other possibilities.

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2006 09:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

Sounds good to me.  I've always been interested in that battle.

Posted: Wed Oct 18th, 2006 05:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Forrest's exploits in specific and the war in the West would be neat to see for a change.

For the Eastern theatre, I've always been partial to the Seven Days Battles.  All kinds of drama, occasional comedy, and technological firsts happened during McClellan's drive up the Peninsula.  One side show alone was the changing of Naval History with the battle of the Monitor/Virginia.  Then you have rocketry, aerial recon, railway artillery, the works.

Posted: Thu Oct 26th, 2006 03:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

Patrick Cleburne would make a good study, and the finish would be awesome!

Ole:cool:

You have chosen to ignore ks. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Oct 27th, 2006 05:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Geeze you guys every idea I had I would start to suggest it and there it would be the next posting down .  Wilson Creek and the Death of Nathanial Lyon would be geat. 

My most favorite though is Patrick Claiborne .  His story would be a wonderful movie.  and as said what an ending . 

Forrest too would make a great movie .

Posted: Tue Nov 21st, 2006 03:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Two interesting sieges come to mind...the Siege of Vicksburg and the Siege of Chattanooga. A siege makes for interesting drama because  citizens, soldiers and animals suffer greatly.

I find the Battle of Franklin fascinating, but a quite good fictional account, "The Widow of the South" has been written about it. 

For colorful naval action the Battle of Mobile has a lot to offer. I think it could make a really interesting movie and is the scene of Admiral David G. Farragut's famous words, "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead."

Without dealing with specific battles, compelling human drama surrounds the civilian women who worked as spies during the war. Equally compelling are the stories of women who disguised themselves as men and served in the army or women, who, though without disguise, accompanied their husbands to the war.       

For action and flamboyance little beats memorable cavalry actions such as that at  Brandy Station or the headlong charge of two opposing cavalries (J.E.B. Stuart vs David Gregg) at the East Cavalry Field at Gettysburg. Cavalry leaders are just made for great fiction. The cocky, overconfident young Union  cavalry leader Hugh Judson "Kill Cavalry" Kilpatrick would be an interesting centerpiece of a Civil war novel.

Last edited on Tue Nov 21st, 2006 03:20 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Nov 25th, 2006 02:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

Speaking of Confederate General Patrick Cleburne, I live right next to his namesake's county.

Posted: Thu Dec 14th, 2006 03:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

And again speaking of Cleburne, the Battle of Franklin would be an awesome movie...a bloody movie, but an awesome movie.  

Posted: Thu Dec 14th, 2006 03:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I agree a film on Cleburne and Franklin would be awesome

Posted: Thu Dec 14th, 2006 05:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I still think that a really definitive, honest and compelling movie about George Armstrong Custer has not been made. Those that have been made have been anemic efforts at best.  But Custer, who finished last in his class at USMA, had an amazing life and promoted himself quite successfully as the rock star of his time. His death, however, is probably what made him immortal in American history.

If I were to write a book or film a movie about Custer, I would START with Little Big Horn and then flash back, so that other fascinating aspects of his life would not be overshadowed. Custer's life was about so much more than that infamous slaughter at Little Big Horn.

Last edited on Thu Dec 14th, 2006 05:52 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Infamous slaughter at Little Big Horn???? Don't think native americans would see it that way. Was Custers record during the civil war suspect at best? Numerous times he outnumbered his opponents, had fresher horses, better arms for his men. Agree that he was a most intriquing individual and like another union general, Sickles, excelled at self promotion. As mentioned in a previous post, the Vicksburg Campaign would be a great novel. Numerous story lines, Grant's failed attempts at taking Vicksburg, political intrique with his subordinates, his successful flanking movement, Champions Hill, Griersons raid, etc.

Doc C

Current time is 01:55 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Recommended battles to be portrayed in novels, or movies

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5245 seconds (20% database + 80% PHP). 27 queries executed.