Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

cIvil War Magazines - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Do any of you have a favorite Civil War magazine? I especially like North and South.

I haven't subscribed to it, but was thinking about doing so because it is hard to find in the local book stores. In fact, any Civil War magazine is hard to find in the local book stores. They are pretty expensive too, but a subscription isn't chump change either.

Do you all feel such magazines are worth the money?

(Whoops! I see I goofed up the title of this thread. I meant to type Civil War Magazines. Sorry about the careless error. I should have taken time to notice.)

Last edited on Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:10 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Fan:

I'm not a subscriber to magazines of any sort. But I do notice that magazine articles are a source of a great many articles, thoughts and opinions that you don't find in books. What doesn't constitute a book does often show up in one or another of the magazines.

ole

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Yes, that has been my experience with the Civil War magazines. Some of the very authors of books I have read write excellent articles about lesser known battles,  skirmishes and raids or other micro aspects of the Civil War that I have never seen in books.

I also think that the magazines tend to have far better maps than are found in books and the photos are better quality reproductions. A fun aspect is the Letters to the Editor section in which readers write in and take issue with opinions and even facts in the last issue's articles. Then the authors get to explain and defend themselves.

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I used to subscribe to Civil War Illustrated, then dropped it when I became a charter member of North and South Magazine, which I believe is a far superior publication.

Also subscribe to Civil War News.

The only other subscription I have is Sports Illustrated, which I've had since I was a junior in high school 40 years ago. Jeez, you'd think my subscription would be free by now.

I just like to get stuff in the mail that isn't a bill.

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote:
I just like to get stuff in the mail that isn't a bill.

That is so true. Besides magazines I love to get catalogs, too. What I hate most, though, are credit card offers. What a waste of paper and, by extension, trees!

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 05:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I am a magazine junkie.  I have Civil War Times , North & South, America's Civil War, Blue & Gray , and Wild West.  I don't always read every article in every one but I keep them in the car or carry them with me when I have to go wait somewhere and read at them. North South I think is the best ,  Blue Gray is the best for maps to sight see with .  I used it in South Carolina to find Fort Lamar and Secessionville, and other issue was Columbia where friend drove as I directed him to all the places listed in the Columbia issue.  Amazing how many articles on Civil War are in Wild West also

Susan

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Civil War Historian... my interests and real honest hardcore scholarship on subjects you don't see in other CW mags.

Posted: Sun Jul 15th, 2007 12:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
jbeatty

Mana: 

Over the years, I have subscribed to every Civil War magazine that is out there.  They all have things I like and dislike about them.  I will usually subscribe for a year and then move on to something else or go back to one I haven't read in a few years.  I have kept my subscription to the Civil War News, and now have subscribed to Civil War Historian since its inception in January 2005.  If you haven't picked up a copy, I would highly recommend it.

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks folks. I didn't even know about Civil War Historian magazine until I read about it right here. Barnes and Noble doesn't sell it where I live or else, if they do, it gets snapped up right away.

I checked and they have a nice web site. Guess I'll have to subscribe in order to ever see that magazine.

Meantime, I have the current issues of North and South  and Civil War Times. Both have many interesting articles, but I especially was pleased to see an article about Jefferson Davis's last home Beauvoir in Biloxi, Mississippi. I had wondered how well it faired during the devastation of Katrina and the answer turns out to be not well at all.

We visited Beauvoir the year before Katrina. I loved the place so much I wanted to live right there! The article shows all the dismaying damage and describes all the effort going into restoring the buildings and the priceless artifacts. that did not get washed away or permanently destroyed. I'm really glad there are people who care enough to help bring Beauvoir back to its former beauty.

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 04:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
David White

Mana: 

North and South, CWT and Blue & Gray are my subscriptions.

North and South is my favorite.  But as Susan pointed out the Blue and Gray is the best for a battlefield tramper.  I had thought CWT had dropped off quite a bit a couple of years ago but they have made great improvement lately and is still very good.  So I keep it as it is the flagship magaizine and because I still have every issue produced 1962 and many of the predecessor publication that started in 1958.

Last edited on Mon Jul 16th, 2007 04:23 pm by David White

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all,

I subscribe to them all.  As Dave mentioned CW Times has greatly improved over the past few years, as has its sister publication America's Civil War.  For those who are interested in Gettysburg, I highly recommend Gettysburg Magazine, which is published twice annually.

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 03:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

Basecat:

Oh, yes, I get Gettysburg too but I forgot it since it come biannually.  One should be coming in the mail soon as a matter of fact.

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 05:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Geetysburg is another magazine I didn't know about. I'm certain my local book stores don't carry that either, so I may have to do a trial subscription to see how it is.

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 06:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
calcav

Mana: 

**Shameless Plug Alert!!!**

Blue & Gray Magazine is tops with me for a couple of reasons.

First, a piece I have written on the October 5th, 1862, Battle of Davis Bridge, Tennessee will be the feature article in an issue this fall.

Second, I have had the pleasure of working with publisher Dave Roth this last fall and winter on the reprint of the Corinth/Iuka issue. The new issue has become the unofficial visitor guide for the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center. We removed all of the advertising and added 16 new pages all about the visitor center here in Corinth. We added a dozen new photos to the text of the battle and updated "The General's Tour" driving guide.

Lastly, "The General's Tour" just can't be beat. I have had some great CW experiences with that tour in hand and I would have missed alot if I did not have it (just try to follow Grierson's Raid without it!).

Tom

Last edited on Tue Jul 17th, 2007 06:39 pm by calcav

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 03:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
David White

Mana: 

Cleburne Fan:

Gettysburg comes (came?) from the Mornigside Bookshop, when the owner died recently the eidtor purcahsed the operation and is keeping it going.  It's great feature to me is over the years it has produced some terrific maps of the battle down to minute detail.

Last edited on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 03:26 pm by David White

Current time is 09:21 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3900 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.