View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 06:36 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

What if there had been no civil war and therefore no need for reconstruction? Would not the deep south states, almost exclusively agrarian and devoid of heavy industry, have entered the 20th and 21st centuries relatively impoverished compared to the north anyway? I agree reconstruction didn't help matters, but I think some of the comparative 'woes' of today's south were indigenous to the region's antebellum history anyhow.

I've lived here in Lexington, NC, for more than 30 years and this was once a thriving mill town, productive in both furniture and textiles (even as late as the 1970s). The town immediately to the east of us, Thomasville, is also famous for furniture. The town west of us, Spencer, was a bustling hub for the Southern Railroad. Further west is Kannapolis, site of the now defunct Cannon Mills (Cannon towels). North of us is Winston-Salem, its very name synonymous with tobacco.

We must be going through a new era of reconstruction and carpetbagging. Furniture and textiles have gone offshore, the railroads are museum pieces and tobacco is politically incorrect. The local economy sucks, but that wasn't true when I first arrived here. (Hey, maybe it's me)

(Just for fun, we have access to two interstates, and we're a town of only 20,000. I-85 goes through us to Charlotte and Greensboro, and I-40 runs through W-S.)

I guess all I'm saying is I don't think that you can't make blanket statement about reconstruction affecting the entire south in the same way. Some regions in the south bounced back better than others.

Also, I like relatively the slower pace of the south, which is why I'm still here instead of in Pennsylvania.

Close Window