View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 02:55 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

It's important to realize that the South got off very light, historically speaking anyway. I often hear how the South has the poorest counties in the US. The truth is that's spilt evenly... Pine Ridge Reservation in SD has consistantly taken the cake for the poorest area in the US... average ANNUAL income of $700 in 1990.

A couple years ago someone posted the list of the 20 richest counties in the US, the old CS had 8 IIRC. I was told Florida counties, & Atlanta didn't count. Never could figure out that bit of self defeating attitude. What exactly is Southern? Who qualifies as Southern & why?

Miss Walker, by law my wife was illegitimate until w/in the last decade and my own marriage was only just legal in SC because of mixed race status. We're talking about mixed race marriages being still illegal in the last half of the 20th Century, not 19th! Desegregation laws were needed on the books in the last half of the 20th Century in SC for a very real reason.

My grandmother in law lives in the bottoms on Kingstree SC... the police don't go to that side of the tracks for a reason. And I readily admit I slept there w/ a loaded 9mm under my pillow. Until well into my lifetime the hope for a black man or woman getting any kind of justice in the SC justice system was a joke at best. Laws were not enforced w/ Lady justice being blind in SC, Alabama, or many other places in the old South. thank God things have changed.

Now is such a thing a direct descendent of the trainwreck that was Reconstruction? How many generations passed between the end of the CW & the Civil Rights movement?

The blame for the mess of the South... can be painted w/ a pretty broad brush and there is no way to point a finger one way or the other w/out pointing 3 fingers back at oneself.

But what we cannot fool ourselves w/ is how lucky the South was, yes I said lucky. A Mongol or Roman army dealing w/ a rebellious province would have left territory that was barren still. And as late as the 1800's.. look to India after the various "mutinies" or Spain after France... sweet God look at that and praise god the South never dealt w/ a French occupying army! Shall we talk about the Germans in Poland, or Russians... anywhere? That's what I'm talking about. The South never faced systematic rape, murder and torture... any who say otherwise are talking through their hat.

Close Window