View single post by susansweet2
 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2006 12:37 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet2

Mana: 

Joe , you should see the looks on people faces when I say I am a docent at the only civil war site left in southern califonria.    They say with straight face oh but the Civil War was in the east .  Then I tell them about the battlefields in Arizona and New Mexico and their jaws drop.  What's even funnier is they assume Fort Tejon is a Civil War site.  It was closed when the war started, the troops and the camels sent to Drum Barracks here in Wilmington where I am a docent.  Everyone knows the name at least of Fort Tejon as they drive by the sign and the buildings on the way up the interstate to Bakersfield from Los Angeles. 

Northern Califonia has Fort Point. that building seen in pictures of the Golden Gate under the left footing of the bridge.  It is a fort very much in the style of the forts on the east coast such as Sumter . 

There are other sites where the buildings arent there anymore but never the less were part of the Civil War.  I found the site of a fort in Visalia established as the town was very much a hotbed of Confederate support.  The soldiers finally had to march into town and destroy the priniting press to keep it from printing pro southern articles.  So much for freedom of the press.

Alcatraz according to friends that have done presentations on Albert Sidney Johnston and Eiza has Civil War connections .  They talked the park rangers into showing them the fortifications there.  

There is also the site south of San Francisco on Lake Meced where the Broderick Terry duel took place.  A duel related to stands on the Civil War .  Broderick was a senator from California .   There is Civil War history here, it just is harder to find. 

As to where you live Joe, I can't wait to get back there and see some more of it . I love Shiloh.  I only saw a little of Stones River.  Because I was new at Civil War I drove right by Franklin . Now having read four books on the battle and Cleburne I can't wait to get there and see it . 

Anyone coming to Southern California come to the Drum Barracks in Wilmington near Long Beach and San Pedro.  If you come down here on a Wednesday I will give you a tour. 

Close Window