View single post by Kentucky_Orphan
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 09:57 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

The lord of the rings:the two towers is an outstanding war movie. The battle of helms deep was superbly shot. Now, the Urak-hai using crossbows at that battle was a bit farbish, mind you, and there were actually no elves present at that battle, but the overall affect I think was spot on to what actually happened there.

On a more somber note, we couldn't watch war movies with my grandfather around. Dad said he would just hear the sound of a German MG from the television, and he would have to leave the room to get away from it. Like most WW2 combat vets he never really talked about it, but moments like that just illustrate the deep impact it really had day to day.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but one story especially comes to mind. My dad was a teenager when my grandfather told him to burn a cows corpse. "This stinks" my dad complained. "This stinks? No what STINKS is when you're 20 feet away from your buddy and you can hear him screaming for help but you can't get to him beacuse the Germans have you pinned down, and by the time you get to where he is he's been dead for 2 days. THAT STINKS, YOU DON'T KNOW what STINKS". Needless to say dad did the job with no more complaining. This is only one of three "war stories" my grandfather ever told his children. And as bad as this one was at making one feel uncomforatable, the other two are much much worse.

Big difference between movies (no matter how realistic), and reality...

Close Window