View single post by samhood
 Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 06:52 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
samhood

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: The more I read about Hood the more I don't like him.   The more I read about Johnston I notice he has something Hood doesn't have . . . He has a code of Honor. 

Susan

Hood is criticized for writing letters to Bragg and Davis "backstabbing" Johnston. I'm not so sure that such things were not uncommon during that era.  Hood wasn't the only AoT commander to write to Richmond during Johnston's tenure. 

On June 22, 1864, Johnston's trusted subordinate, close confidant and corps commander  William Hardee, wrote to Jefferson Davis, "If the present system continues we may find ourselves at Atlanta before a serious battle is fought."

Another of Johnston's corps commanders, A. P. Stewart, wrote to Braxton Bragg on March 19, 1864, "Are we to hold still, remaining on the defensive in this position until (Sherman) comes down with his combined armies to drive us out?"

I don't think Hardee and Stewart have ever been accused of trying to get Johnston fired so they could get his job.

Joe Wheeler wrote to Richmond as well, although I can't find the exact quote.

And after Hood was given command of the AoT, his subordinates wrote to Richmond complaining of him.  After the fall of Atlanta one of Hood's division commanders, Samuel G. French sent an unsigned letter to Richmond complaining of Hood.  After the Tennessee Campaign, on Dec. 25 Hood's corps commander SD Lee wrote a letter to Hood's superior PGT Beauregard asking to discuss "recent events in Tennessee."  And on Jan. 2 Nathan Bedford Forrest wrote a letter to Dick Taylor asking that Hood be removed from command.

I don't think Lee and Forrest were wanting Hood fired so they could get his job.

Hood indeed wrote to Davis and Bragg during Sherman's Atlanta Campaign, but he wasn't the only one, and Hood's own subordinates wrote to his superiors.

As with everything else, Wiley Sword chose not to inform his readers of this.

It would require some research, but I suspect that writing letters to the superior of your superior was not considered as taboo in the 1860s as it is today.

Close Window