View single post by Eric
 Posted: Wed Apr 26th, 2006 04:55 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Eric
$user_title

Mana: 

Savez,

Have you read Sword's book?  If so perhaps you might read my new book.  Hood's motivation for making the attack at Franklin in particular, while undeniably a gamble, is explained much differently than Sword's take. 

One last quick point.  I'm not sure few folks ever consider that the Confederate army at Franklin does achieve one of Hood's primary goals - pierce the Yankee center.  In fact the Southerners blow three and a half Union regiments right off the main line and flood into the heart of the defensive perimeter.  Unfortunately for the Rebels who break through, Emerson Opdycke and his brigade are in exactly the right place at the right time.  Imagine the possible result had Opdycke not been there.  As a testament to the courage and pure ferocity of the Confederates, they nearly pulled off the impossible.

I do not condone Hood's decision to attack in the manner which he did.  But it was a lot closer to being successful than most realize.  The problem was that once Opdycke helped seal the breach and Confederate troops were caught in the Carter garden and in the ditches outside the main works, the real killing began.  The horrific Southern losses have a foundation there, when men were shot down like animals with no place to maneuver or run.

Close Window